Sick Evergreen Tree???

breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I hope this is in the right location to ask. If not, please feel free to move it.

I have a very tall evergreen tree in my yard and it appears to be sick.
On the bottom 2/3's of the tree the green needles have turned brown and fallen of or are just hanging there.
The top 1/3'rd of the tree looks great and has a lot of pinecones..

Is this tree sick? Is there some type of cycle these trees go thru and will then recover?
The strangest part of all this is at the very lower section, there are new branches....

IMG_2180.JPG

IMG_2181.JPG

IMG_2182.JPG

jed1124

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rhizospheara Needle Cast Disease and or possibly Cytospora Canker.

The tree will require at least two fungicide sprays each spring using a Chlorothalinil based fungicide. The first spray should be timed when the new growth is about 3/4” long and a second should be 14-21 days later.

Each year as you protect new growth the tree will gradually fill back in.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The (what appears to be a white spruce) is definitely stressed weakening its immune system.
The building and tall cedars may be providing too much shade cutting back on the trees chlorophyll production and humidity causing the fungal problem.
In the wilderness forest setting spruce with low sunlight in the lower area near the forest floor tend to drop their lower branch's needles as they no longer are efficient at photosynthesis with too much shade competing with nearby trees.
A spruce growing in the open grow thick limbed from top to bottom.

breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The tree will require at least two fungicide sprays each spring using a Chlorothalinil based fungicide.
Any recommendation on a product? Does the entire tree need to be sprayed?

The building and tall cedars may be providing too much shade cutting back on the trees chlorophyll production and humidity causing the fungal problem.
That's interesting because this tree is on the south side of the garage. Normally in the direct sunlight from 8am or so until the middle afternoon.
I have been in this house 24 years and the tree and garage has always been here.
This issue started maybe 2 years ago...

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been working with trees for over 45 years and never had the desire to get into spraying chemicals.
But I have saved alot of trees with aeration and fertilizing.
Who ever planted that tree so close to the garage sure wasn't thinking. It must bang on that roof pretty good with a good wind.
Might be time to remove it.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Looks like just another sick out of place Colorado blue spruce to me. Kind of hard to tell from low res pics on a phone though. Needle cast probably. You should have an arborist do the work for you. This is beyond the scope of a diy job. Doubt you will find the appropriate fungicide over the counter without an applicators license anyway. Personally I'd remove the tree and plant a native or at least naturalized species.

Master Bud II

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you were in the western part of the country, and it was dying from the Top down I'd say it was the Bark beetle. We've Lost So Much of our trees because of that bastard, and *s-word Forest Management.
Not blaming the Forest service. just hippies & politicians..... they say by the time it's all over we'll lose Ruffly 70% of the trees in our forests.