Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
2:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So today I decided I would give my 066 a good going over.
I did the usual type of stuff, blew it all off with shop air etc. I decided I'd pull the muffler and check out the piston. All was good.
I then decided I'd pull the spark plug and have a look at the top of the piston and check the plug gap. Again all good.
I figured while the plug out I would do a quick compression test.
I connected my cheap compression tester. Placed the saw on a mat on the garage floor. I firmly planted my foot in the handle and leaned down hard on the top handle. I gave the starter a good firm pull. The saw spun over as expected for about 3 pulls.
On the 4th pull my saw locked up solid. I mean it came to a dead stop. Wouldn't turn over at all. At this point I'm staring at it thinking WTF just happened.

I begin checking everything. I remove the starter assembly. I removed the clutch. I removed the muffler. I can't find anything wrong.

Frustrated I finally decide to remove the jug and this is what I found. A piece from the shrader valve from inside my cheap azz compression tester. The piece was stuck to the top of the jug. No real damage done to the inside of the jug or the top of the piston. Just a couple small little dents.

All I'm gonna say is I'm glad I found it when I was doing the comp test and not later.image.jpeg

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man that could have been bad. Glad u found it

Canadian farm boy

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I guess the dents in the top of the piston are worse then I first thought.

I was checking everything out and guess what. The dents are bad enough that the top ring is stuck in a couple places and upon a real close look at the top edge of the piston it almost looks to be flared out like it was piened with a punch and hammer.

Now I need a new top end.

The top end I currently have on my 066 is one of those farmertec big bore kits that I ported a good while back. It was a learning experience. It ran good but wasn't great. I was planning on replacing the top end eventually anyway.

Any one have a good 066 jug they are willing to part with???

@Mastermind hows those performance 066 top end kits coming along?

Canadian farm boy

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Use a fine file and clean up any ridges the dents made, it will be just fine
I thought about doing that. What I'm worried about is that the biggest dent and where the ring is pinched the worst is right beside the ring locator pin. I'm worried that the pin is gonna come loose

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of those tiny diamond Dremel bits would get in there. But not if the pin is loose

Canadian farm boy

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd put a oem cylinder back on it.
The big bore kit was definitely a bit of a disappointment. It didn't preform like I had hoped even after my hack job trying to port it.

I'd love to put the top end on this saw that it deserves.

You don't know anyone that might have an extra 066 jug do you? ;)

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
1:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The big bore kit was definitely a bit of a disappointment. It didn't preform like I had hoped even after my hack job trying to port it.

I'd love to put the top end on this saw that it deserves.

You don't know anyone that might have an extra 066 jug do you? ;)
I might be able to find one,no decomp or decomp?

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Is a spring in the case or exhaust now or was that still in the shrader housing. I do believe those valves has a spring in them.