High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Show Your Home built Log Splitter

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
8:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
That's a good way to go, HF is running a special on a 2500lb remote control winch right now. Included in a log splitter build, you would also then need a battery and a way to charge it, unless you connected the winch to your truck battery. I installed an alternator on my band mill when I built it, don't know if that would work here though because of the power loss turning an alternator. You could buy or find an engine to run the log splitter, with a charging system and stator built in and would be the easiest solution.
On my splitter an alternator would be easy to adapt, I don't think a simple gm 1 wire alternator would take enough power to be a concern. If you find an electric start engine those typically have the charging system built into the starter drive.

J & L Creations

Machine Design
Local time
7:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
On my splitter an alternator would be easy to adapt, I don't think a simple gm 1 wire alternator would take enough power to be a concern. If you find an electric start engine those typically have the charging system built into the starter drive.
Yea, one would think that about an electric start engine, but should be very sure, as the new 18 HP engine I bought and used for my home built band sawmill did not have a charging system built in and why I had to incorporate an alternator in the build.

Grimmy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Any engine with an electric start should have enough recharge capability to at least recharge the battery to keep it topped off.

My splitter that I had built, I have up to about 18 amps of 12 volt DC to use. I run a hydralic oil cooler, and that fan takes 16A to run it, so I have a little head way yet.

J & L Creations

Machine Design
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Any engine with an electric start should have enough recharge capability to at least recharge the battery to keep it topped off.

My splitter that I had built, I have up to about 18 amps of 12 volt DC to use. I run a hydralic oil cooler, and that fan takes 16A to run it, so I have a little head way yet.
Well you might know something I don't. I did talk with tech support about the new engine I bought and the guy told me there was no charge capability built into it.

Grimmy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Start it up and put a meter across the battery, and read the voltage. If it's higher than when it's not running, it's recharging. If it's the same, then no recharge capabilities. My Honda and all Honda's with a battery have anywhere from 2A to 18A recharge circuitry in them. I can't say for other brands of manufacturers.

J & L Creations

Machine Design
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Start it up and put a meter across the battery, and read the voltage. If it's higher than when it's not running, it's recharging. If it's the same, then no recharge capabilities. My Honda and all Honda's with a battery have anywhere from 2A to 18A recharge circuitry in them. I can't say for other brands of manufacturers.
Yes, I had done that/first thing I did, 12 volts only no higher reading with my meter, and the reason after that I called tech support, thinking that there was something wrong with the new engine. Before that point I had thought sure it had a charging system. After setting up the alternator, the charging output was close to 15 volts, think it was 14. 6 volts, if I remember correctly, at idle speed it's a little lower, have 160 amps. I could run lights off of it for night work if I needed to now.

Scotts_4x

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's mine. Just finished it up at the shop and towed it home last night.

2z40n5l.jpg

214cmc1.jpg

s5heag.jpg

Specs are:

W8x24 wide flange beam, set up to do vertical and horizontal work with a work table for horizontal. 1.25" plate foot.

6x6x.125 axle/hydraulic reservoir comes out to about 7.5 gallons of fluid. 4.80x12 wheel/tire

Hand built wedge with 1/2" base plate and flare plates, 3/4" main wedge

3x3 .125 tongue with 2"ball coupler. 2000lb bulldog top wind pivoting jack

4x24 cylinder mated to a 13gpm 2 stage pump. Math calculates 18.855 true tons at 3000psi not some made up number like the ones they sell at lowes or tsc. 1" supply line, 3/4" pressure line from pump to valve and 1/2" work ports and hoses/lines. Should come out to a true unloaded cycle time of about 11.2 seconds 24" out and back.

Predator 212cc engine

All parts drawn/programmed/cut/fabricated/welded by me

-Scott

Last edited:

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

2z40n5l.jpg

214cmc1.jpg

s5heag.jpg

Specs are:

W8x24 wide flange beam, set up to do vertical and horizontal work with a work table for horizontal. 1.25" plate foot.

6x6x.125 axle/hydraulic reservoir comes out to about 7.5 gallons of fluid. 4.80x12 wheel/tire

4x24 cylinder mated to a 13gpm 2 stage pump. Math calculates 18.855 true tons at 3000psi not some made up number like the ones they sell at lowes or tsc. 1" supply line, 3/4" pressure line from pump to valve and 1/2" work ports and hoses/lines. Should come out to a true unloaded cycle time of about 11.2 seconds 24" out and back.

Predator 212cc engine

-Scott
Nice work. Only thing I see missing is a log stripper. Not a big deal if you don’t cut and split stringy twisted wood.

Scotts_4x

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I split almost 100% white oak as I have 130 acres to harvest from. I thought about log strippers but have yet need them in the 5 years I've been living here. I previously had on permanent loan an iron and oak 26 ton.

-Scott

Milkman31

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I used a 4 1/2 x 24 cylinder and an old craftsman riding mower to build this one. I only had a 19 gpm single stage pump to put on it so on some of really bad stuff you have to take it easy but all in all it does what I need!

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have not found a need or want for the boom to lift , using hydraulics. A 2500# winch with a wireless remote worksperfect for me. Pulls the rounds to the splitter and let's you lift them to the right heightView attachment 40773
Pics of what’s behind the splitter?
:comp4:

Scotts_4x

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

2z40n5l.jpg

214cmc1.jpg

s5heag.jpg

Specs are:

Predator 212cc engine

-Scott

Well I have been splitting on this guy for a bit now, working all the bugs out. Got some hose routing and leaking problems figured and sorted out. Took it out yesterday (has not left my house since built) to help a buddy who is dangerously low on wood. Ran flawlessly all day (besides being flooded from me towing it with the gas on) but when it ran out of gas late in the afternoon we called it quits as it was raining. As we were cleaning up I happened to glance up at the foot plate and holy crap it was bent! Didn't figure with the specs I built it with that I'd ever have a problem with the inch and a quarter thick foot plate. No pics as I dropped it off at the shop on the way home. I'm going to find a scrap of plate at work and cut out the same profile plate as the foot that's already on it. I'll cut holes or slots in it for plug welding and also bevel the entire perimeter for welding all the way around. Will most likely be 5/8 or 3/4 plate. I'll post pics as I get her fixed and back to the wood pile.

-scott

Scotts_4x

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I got her all lined out. Put a piece of 5/8" plate on the bottom of the foot (total thickness is now an inch and seven eighths) , and also put some texture on the top to keep logs from popping out. I had previously left them off purposely because I had seen people suggesting it hampers log repositioning. Turns out keeping the log in place during splitting is WAY more important to me after a few spit out on me. Here's some pics

-Scott

woodtool89

Randalls favorite member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
heres some pics from mine, 8 x 40 w beam, 5"x 24" cylinder, Wisconsin THD 18HP engine, 28 GPM pump, 30 gallon stainless hydraulic tank, then later i cut the single wedge off and made a bolt on wedge system, with a box wedge, a single, and a 6 way, then last summer i made a chute to push the splits into a pile...next will probably be a hydraulic tongue jack for the front of it...
100_1116.JPG 100_1119.JPG 100_1126.JPG 100_1123.JPG 100_1302.JPG

Last edited:

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I built mine in the mid 1970's. today I might have $500.00 into it.
Axel came from a New Idea tow sicle more dad had in the scrap equipment pile out back. The I beam was a cut off from a fractory demo remodel site, I know the boss and he gave it to me. the splitting wedge is a Semi truck spring sharpened to a razor edge back then welded to the beam and wings welded to the wedge. Some times the knbot doesn't split at all it gets cut.

The 6hp B&S engine came off a a old front tine tiller my mom had just replaced with a new troy built. I took the engine that was nearly wore out and the rest was sold to a guy who had a engine.

The viking pump, valves,filters, cylinder and oil tank were bought from Northern Hrydrlics.

The engine gave up the ghost first about 1977, I was working away from home then so my dad bought a 8hp from a local farm store. Next was the pump puked on me about 1987, I let it set for a couple years before replaceing it with one from Northern hrydrlics. then my dad loaned it to a guy who didn't check the oil in the engine and it threw a rod. NO he didn't replace the motor either.

I bought a HF 212cc 6.5 hp Predator engine for it in 2013 as I had a very large pile of uglys needed splitting.
I need to take the cylinder apart and repack it come warm weather. I also need to replace the coupler as it is a pieced togther love joy from a friends junk small engine parts drawer

Does every thing I wanted it to do and have taken it to relatives and split wood for them too.

mid 1990's with the 8hp brigs engine.
100909_2370.jpg

Made a beliver out of my dad and myself, neither a borrower nor a lender be.

:D Al