Show them numbers!!!

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Goats and turtles aside (no goats or turtles were harmed in the making of this statement, at least I hope), A discussion of static vs dynamic compression seems relevant. Depending on the application, compression readings will not tell the whole story. While it is a 4 stroke, the old L88 Chevys had a 12:1 ratio but would measure around 90 lbs on a gauge. Using the fuel mixture as added material in itself to the combustion chamber decreases the space thereby raising dynamic compression. Cam or port timing are the most relevant things to effect this as they are the control valves that dictate behavior. Some top fuel racers like Dale Armstrong, figured out that more fuel actually aided in cooling the combustion chamber, that's when you began to see larger fuel systems and of course major increases in power. Some saw racers have figured this out, from what I have read, and have lower compression pressure saws that perform better than when they had the higher numbers. Easier starting may result, but having your engine be less of a compressor can't be all bad either. I am not convinced of just how parasitic the losses are. Picture a turbo car vs a directly driven supercharged one. Much less loss with a turbo equates to free power. We now are starting to see tubo cars performance exceed conventionally supercharged ones, generally with less noise and better manners. The less resistance, the more free power, not made, just not lost.

Heat in the combustion chamber does of course good and bad things. Heat can cause damage, but as was mentioned, can aid in burn speed. There was an article in a car magazine in the early 80's where a top builder known as Smokey Yunik built a Pontiac Fiero to heat the fuel mixture to just under the flash point prior to entering the combustion chamber. The results were greatly increased power AND fuel economy. Someone bought the rights to this and the info on it seemed to vanish. That kinda flys in the face of the idea of a cool dense charge providing more fuel thereby releasing more energy. Though it does explain fuel economy/lower emissions. The idea was there was a lot less waste of time/energy if the fuel was just under its flash point. There are several thoughts on what works best, I think that just when we think we have answers, we learn we have very few.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
8:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess you don’t recall, it was the first little spat you and I had on AS David.

I sanded it down and got 220. I thought the saw ran great, but now that I have seen the light, I’d never do it again.

It was Pre-lathe days and my work sucked.
I’ll have to check it out.
What was the second spat btw?

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm going to guess this thread is a dud now came in hot and got put away cold. :icon_pc:

Penguin

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Sawfun,

It can get pretty complex for sure. In the end you usually end up playing with port length & volume and valve timing to get you what you need where you need it. Nothing works best at all engine speeds and you always end up compromising.

Initial designs are usually done with what's called 1-D modeling programs. Ricardo Wave and GT Power are two good ones. This allows you to get in the neighborhood of a decent layout without getting bogged down in details. For the details like port shape, valve job details, chamber shape, combustion progression and speed, etc, a full blown transient program like Converge CFD is used. It runs about $45k a year and needs a major league computer to run.

Most of the legwork is computer simulations but there's still room for intuition and human insight. Old Smokey (a hero of mine) would still be a step ahead of everyone today I think. :)

Will