Show off your muffler mods

Benwa

I love the smell of premix in the morning
Local time
3:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So.... less exhaust opening allows the saw to idle better?
Maybe we need to experiment on a spring loaded opening. More exhaust pressure created at WOT could open an exhaust port allowing for more exhaust.
At idle, spring keeps extra port closed allowing for better idle...[emoji848]
Not sure what other models have them, but I have a McCulloch 10-10 that has exactly that. Well close to it anyway. There is a reed under the deflector in the muffler outlet. The higher the exhaust pressure, the larger the exit. Mcculloch was definitely ahead of their time in some aspects. Not the same as what you mentioned, but same principal.

Benwa

I love the smell of premix in the morning
Local time
3:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just finished up this dual port muffler for the 026 project im working on. Welded up the factory outlet inside the cover
I'm a fan of this method. I never did understand and/or like the way the exhaust hammers the clutch side case half with the factory outlet. Nice work!

Ppavolko

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
385XP. When i got it the muffler was all smashed in. Bought a china muffler, opened the outlet they had and added a second. Nothing too crazy.

A

ADMO services

Nice! I have to mig mine or braze them. I need a tig rig.
I wouldn’t waste your time unless you get one with high frequency to clean the porosity that you will be drawing out from inside the muffler. If you’re already brazing them it makes a much cleaner looking joint. I tig mine and it comes out nice but you really have to have patience and let the high freq do it’s cleaning and just dab little at a time. Not saying you can’t do it wouldn’t high freq, just saying you will draw porosity through the metal and that will take some more tricks to remove and make it look nice. Like some thin stainless tie wire can draw porosity out but it’s another aggravating process to deal with. If your already doing quality brazing there’s nothing wrong with that at all!

A

ADMO services

And I’m not saying treat it like it’s aluminum and weld ac with high freq. same DC electrode negative with high frequency on. It will work much better than just trying normal dc electrode negative. This may not make sense to some. But the high frequency is actually super imposed on top of the supply current so you still weld dc current, the high frequency is just a small current there to aid in cleaning.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
6:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WHAT ?????

HF is used to jump the gap and initiate the arc, unless you’re using lift/scratch start.

What welder are you using that allows you to use HF as you’re welding a bead with DC, and how does it clean ?

dabbing a little at a time is a recipe for blowing through the very thin steel of the muffler

A

ADMO services

WHAT ?????

HF is used to jump the gap and initiate the arc, unless you’re using lift/scratch start.

What welder are you using that allows you to use HF as you’re welding a bead with DC, and how does it clean ?

dabbing a little at a time is a recipe for blowing through the very thin steel of the muffler
Ha ok you know it all I guess. Funny mine says hf start only off or on. It’s used to clean bub. When you weld aluminum it stays on all the time to clean oxidation. It can also be used when welding dc to do the same. But I’m just some dumb kid I guess. Even though I have a degree in electronics and have repaired many welding machines and know how they are mostly all designed. Maybe I imagine things

A

ADMO services

Hf on let it clean and add slight heat as you dab. Do I need to show a video or it didn’t happen?

A

ADMO services

I’m telling a man he doesn’t need a tig welder if he’s good at brazing being constructive and here come the haters. You do you and I’ll do me ok bub?