Show off your muffler mods

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you get a wire mesh with larger openings?
Yeah, it's totally possible. Problem is Dan this is the largest you can go and still meet the USFS requirement for a spark screen.

We're not under any requirement to use a screen under most conditions here on the east coast but there are some rules on the West Coast about it. Moreover the USFS has done their science and likely sunk a ton of bucks into research on this topic so as a guideline for a nobody like me it's perfect!

Screenshot_20190314-064950.png

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got to playing around a bit today with those deflectors and spark screens...
Hey Joe! @Red97 NICE WORK!!
Thanks for putting together something like these. You can do a lot of different things with them.

Here's the specimen. It's my ratty 371XP that I threw a Meteor top end on a few years ago along with bearings and seals. Overall it's a decent saw but it had seen a hard life before I picked it up and straight neglect since I've owned it.
IMG_20190315_113718.jpg

What I chose to do is a really conservative muffler mod on a Hyway 372 muffler I had here. These Hyway mufflers are actually pretty decent.
IMG_20190315_105619.jpg

I think I used a 7/16 or so drill bit for this one. Really, I wasn't looking to go crazy so I just grabbed any-old-size bit out of my toolbox and chucked it up. If you are going to do some mods on the PTO side of the 365/371/372 series you really want to get your hole and deflector as reasonably high and forward as possible. You have some wiggle room there but it's a relatively tight fit in betwixt the crankcase and the brake parts. This is something I learned throughout the process. I had to pull it back apart to make some adjustments.
IMG_20190315_110418.jpg

This particular job was done with the MEDIUM sized deflector and the spark screen that we are making here. Just a little trimming of the deflector and some basic grinding work and there you have a pretty nice setup. I opted to drill and screw this one in place instead of MIG. I've gotta grab some tips and I've been complacent.
What I did was sandwich the spark screen between the deflector and the muffler body. The retainer trims the rough edge of the screen out so it looks somewhat presentable. Plenty of screen available to make any adjustments as necessary.
IMG_20190315_113206.jpg
IMG_20190315_113214.jpg

I haven't played around much with either one of these pieces until today. I might have had 15 minutes in getting this muffler modded in total. I DID have to mess around a little bit because I mounted the deflector too low on the muffler but that was my fault for not measuring.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Go ahead Duke, trim the screen back a little bit. Clean work ain't your thing but do it anyways.
IMG_20190315_113249.jpg

The old muffler was rough but...

WTF IS THAT?
IMG_20190315_113725.jpg

SERIOUSLY, WTF IS THAT?
IMG_20190315_113800.jpg

After a little bit of work here we go! Not a bad look at all for the old girl. I need to order a lower bracket for it.
IMG_20190315_122631.jpg

Me and Joe are working together so I can offer these deflectors for sale as well as the spark screen in the very near future.

As I stated yesterday, if anyone has any interest in trying out some of the screens I'd be willing to send them out to you and only ask for any feedback in return!

Thanks Guys!

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
7:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Go ahead Duke, trim the screen back a little bit. Clean work ain't your thing but do it anyways.
View attachment 171074

The old muffler was rough but...

WTF IS THAT?
View attachment 171075

SERIOUSLY, WTF IS THAT?
View attachment 171076

After a little bit of work here we go! Not a bad look at all for the old girl. I need to order a lower bracket for it.
View attachment 171077

Me and Joe are working together so I can offer these deflectors for sale as well as the spark screen in the very near future.

As I stated yesterday, if anyone has any interest in trying out some of the screens I'd be willing to send them out to you and only ask for any feedback in return!

Thanks Guys!

I'm interested to give em a shot.

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any of you fellas wanna try out some universal spark screens we're making here?

They ain't nothing too special but it'll make for a nice universal screen for folks. Gonna be paired with a Red97 deflector. Made from a USFS approved type stainless screen and a galvanized retainer clip. Looking to create a cost effective kit for guys who don't need to buy some of the materials in bulk.

I'm making them pretty generous in size...2x2.75

I've got 10 or so I want to send out and all I'd ask in return in your feedback. If you could go out and put a couple miles on them that would be perfect!

So those are the only requirements:
-One to each person
-A little bit of feedback

Anybody wanna be a guinea pig?View attachment 170822 View attachment 170823
I've got a 6401 soon to be a 7910 that could be a tester for one of those but honestly it would be a few weeks before I can put some time on it.
Put me on the back burner... if you still need a tester I'll give one a go.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk