SHOW ME YOUR AXES

stikine

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
4 lb. Council from Bailey's. Nothing fancy but does well as a wedge pounder. At least it was made in the USA.

Nothing against the foreign made axes at all but it's sad that there are no decent USA made ones any longer.

Attachments

• IMG_20180214_202351.jpg
    IMG_20180214_202351.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 10

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
4:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ox head I bought 30 years ago for log building. Wonderful piece of steel for shaving and scarf joints. Not for heavy duty chopping tho due to thin profile. I would handle the head a bit lower on the shoulder nowadays... didn't know that 30 years ago . I'd ditch the steel wedges also.

That’s a nice axe nice long thin wedge so much you can do with than axe like that

junkman

Crush it
Local time
8:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, I hung the axe. You can get just the head from magard log building supply. The eyes seem a bit larger than other axe's.
The Arvika eye is larger than a regular single bit ,it takes a racing axe handle ,only size handles i have found so far ar 32 inch ones . Unex makes them ,Hb does ,and i think baileys has racing axe handles .House handles may also .

stikine

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup, that is a 32 inch from House handle. I actually built up the handle shoulder by spreading some jb weld and letting it cure before handling the axe. There was a little more space than I felt the axe wedge would fill...seemed to work out fine.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
4:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks great AJ. Question: How do you sand those heads? Belt sander? By hand? Small orbital sander?

I have wire Bush on grinder to get the worst off then sand them down by hand this one I could start off with 120 grit dry and keep going higher grit until it’s nice finish and keep putting the metal polish on