SHOW ME YOUR AXES

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could really up the finish of the bit if you wanted too (PSP-style) to a mirror finish. Get on eBay & buy a hook & loop (velcro) sanding pad with a bunch of sanding discs from 80/120/240/320/400/600/800/1200/2000/3000 grits, they are fairly cheap like 5 bucks a set delivered from P.R.C and start with a file/angle grinder to take off any burrs/lips on edges then starting at 80 grit work through all the grits until your at 1000-3000. Then use a felt polishing pad with fine abrasive compound to polish followed by just polish. This serves no practical purpose other than to make your bit silky smooth and gleam a perfect mirror finish you can see your face in like a mirror. I've done it and it looks pretty cool and feels so soft and smooth. The $500 racing bits are usually finished like this but you can do it better than they do if you wish. Quality high carbon steel is a pleasure to finish. The only problem you have then is what PSP's have is that the last thing you'll want to do with this pristine artifact is belt it into rounds of dry hardwood.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
12:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
8:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could really up the finish of the bit if you wanted too (PSP-style) to a mirror finish. Get on eBay & buy a hook & loop (velcro) sanding pad with a bunch of sanding discs from 80/120/240/320/400/600/800/1200/2000/3000 grits, they are fairly cheap like 5 bucks a set delivered from P.R.C and start with a file/angle grinder to take off any burrs/lips on edges then starting at 80 grit work through all the grits until your at 1000-3000. Then use a felt polishing pad with fine abrasive compound to polish followed by just polish. This serves no practical purpose other than to make your bit silky smooth and gleam a perfect mirror finish you can see your face in like a mirror. I've done it and it looks pretty cool and feels so soft and smooth. The $500 racing bits are usually finished like this but you can do it better than they do if you wish. Quality high carbon steel is a pleasure to finish. The only problem you have then is what PSP's have is that the last thing you'll want to do with this pristine artifact is belt it into rounds of dry hardwood.
I’ll polish one up as you described, I’ve used the same method on titanium panels on F-15’s. My only hang up is I don’t like sanding away Maker’s marks on metal tools, especially axes.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just cut some hard maple. Anyone ever use maple for a handle? Pretty straight branch.
Adirondack Bat Co. has switched to hard Maple because of the ash borer beetle killing off white ash trees up here. Don’t see why it wouldn’t work for an axe handle.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag