SHOW ME YOUR AXES

Dasmoose

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Got a closeup photo of the single bit?
It's a husky carpenters axe Ill have to get a picture in the morning. It is one of the sharpest axes I have and it holds the edge like a champ. Took it to a job taking down a old sugar maple was cutting through branches 3" thick in one swing. Mind you it was green but scared the stuffins out of me none the less!

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You want a draw knife, a rasp or two, wood vice, sandpaper some wedges to get the billet by qaurtering a straight section of wood. Once wood is quartered select billet by looking at the grain orientation at ends of billet. Extract rectangle shape billet from triangle quartered piece of wood. Use the axe bit too act as stencil on billet end by usind a marker to trace handle shape (end that axe bit fits too). Draw knife has two handles with blade in between and has one flat side on the blade so you can shave and shape wood. You need to use a flat saw to cut into the end that the bit goes on so you can hammer a wedge in there. Its a very rewarding experience and takes a little time but well worth it when done. Also some JB weld or 2 part epoxy to seal the end where you put the wedge in. This will keep moisture out. Also if you want to stain it you need that, then finish with linseed/olive oil.

Last edited:

460 magnum

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
It's a husky carpenters axe Ill have to get a picture in the morning. It is one of the sharpest axes I have and it holds the edge like a champ. Took it to a job taking down a old sugar maple was cutting through branches 3" thick in one swing. Mind you it was green but scared the stuffins out of me none the less!
I have this same little axe and I will second that about the sharpness and holding an edge. Good axe and at a reasonable price.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You want a draw knife, a rasp or two, wood vice, sandpaper some wedges to get the billet by qaurtering a straight section of wood. Once wood is quartered select billet by looking at the grain orientation at ends of billet. Extract rectangle shape billet from triangle quartered piece of wood. Use the axe bit too act as stencil on billet end by usind a marker to trace handle shape (end that axe bit fits too). Draw knife has two handles with blade in between and has one flat side on the blade so you can shave and shape wood. You need to use a flat saw to cut into the end that the bit goes on so you can hammer a wedge in there. Its a very rewarding experience and takes a little time but well worth it when done. Also some JB weld or 2 part epoxy to seal the end where you put the wedge in. This will keep moisture out. Also if you want to stain it you need that, then finish with linseed/olive oil.
Thanks for the detailed info. I already have a couple draw knives so I guess I better go knock down a tree to get some slabs. I think I’ve got just enough time for them to season before the long dark of winter sets in.

leadfarmer

Hot Rod !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find if I get a center line, then set head on and trace shape it's a good starting point for me. I band saw the shape of handle then a big rasp to get final shape. Good luck an have fun [emoji38]
65020bae3008144b4ca717deef85ea35.jpg
ae960ae7cf35694b16549b88e7faf561.jpg
c0ce0a4364bd457e0fd8074f3afbafb7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find if I get a center line, then set head on and trace shape it's a good starting point for me. I band saw the shape of handle then a big rasp to get final shape. Good luck an have fun [emoji38]
65020bae3008144b4ca717deef85ea35.jpg
ae960ae7cf35694b16549b88e7faf561.jpg
c0ce0a4364bd457e0fd8074f3afbafb7.jpg

So,

What kind of wedges do you use?

Have you tried those round ones?

leadfarmer

Hot Rod !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So,

What kind of wedges do you use?

Have you tried those round ones?
I'm old school I guess, I let handle protrude about 1/4in out and cut my on wood wedge an beat it in. No metal wedges for me but I don't really use my axes other than my wedge beater [emoji38]

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm old school I guess, I let handle protrude about 1/4in out and cut my on wood wedge an beat it in. No metal wedges for me but I don't really use my axes other than my wedge beater [emoji38]

That’s exactly what mine are used for.
I’m curious if the round metal wedges are “better.”

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think a wood wedge can be perfectly fine same with metal or plastic provided you have a good fit between the handle & bit. Even when buying an off the shelf handle one should shape the end for the best possible fit. Spending a little time getting it right will make it last.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Knocked down a bitternut hickory to use in my attempt at making a couple axe handles. I’m going to try to get a combo of dark heart wood with the outer wood. That is unless someone tells me the handle won’t be as strong doing this. Wish me luck, I’ll post results if I ever get it done lol.
202811CC-0AF1-4539-AE27-4D15B4263417.jpeg