High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

SHOW ME YOUR AXES

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Ton of great axe restoration videos on youtube. I like the cardboard idea above. You could also lay the handle on the table, and hold the head over it and trace the V with a pencil on the handle. Work your way up to the line with a sharp chisel. Take your time. A handle is only 12-15 dollars. Not an expensive lesson. That's a beautiful head and I would get it handled. Even if it took you a couple handles to learn, the finished product would be worth it.
I've already got a handle waiting for it as soon as I get time to work on it.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never seen one before. Looks like a nice long flat to drive wedges.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
8:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was told many years ago to never drive wedges with a single bit ax as the impact tends to spread the eye open & loosen the handle, course all we had was steel wedges then.

John

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was told many years ago to never drive wedges with a single bit ax as the impact tends to spread the eye open & loosen the handle, course all we had was steel wedges then.

John
Driving steel is, for sure, not a good idea as you said. I'm sure mdavlee was referring to plastic felling wedges.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
2:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Elwell no6 felling axe made in the UK image.jpg image.jpg Elwell no5 this is my favourite but I've been using it as a wedge too many times I ark welded this on 20yrs ago image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 35

Isaac

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's really nice. I've got a jersey pattern head my dad gave me that I want to hang, but I've been hesitant because I'm not sure how to get the V part right.
View attachment 10453

Nice Kelly Perfect. My avatar is actually one that I repaired. I traded a guy a splitting wedge for it. He didn't know what he had. Still needs a handle :(20150723_213156.jpg

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice axes what is the best way to clean an old rusty axe head, have a few I want to rehang.

Isaac

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice axes what is the best way to clean an old rusty axe head, have a few I want to rehang.

I use a 90 degree air die grinder with a paint prep disc. It's basically scotch brite that goes on a grinder. I use this because I like to keep some of the patina. If you want it clean down to bare metal, they make sandpaper discs for the same attachment. The reason for the die grinder, is it doesn't get hot enough to ruin the temper in the metal.

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use a 90 degree air die grinder with a paint prep disc. It's basically scotch brite that goes on a grinder. I use this because I like to keep some of the patina. If you want it clean down to bare metal, they make sandpaper discs for the same attachment. The reason for the die grinder, is it doesn't get hot enough to ruin the temper in the metal.
Ok I have on of those that fits electric grinders. I'll try that. Is there some sort of cleaning solution anyone uses?
Thanks