SHOW ME YOUR AXES

msellers

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What would you all value a pretty nice 4lb Craftsman branged single bit axe head at? Found one, am struggling if I want to buy it or not. Would go great with my vintage Collins 4, but is a matter of value also.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
10:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What would you all value a pretty nice 4lb Craftsman branged single bit axe head at? Found one, am struggling if I want to buy it or not. Would go great with my vintage Collins 4, but is a matter of value also.

Good Axes craftsman the singles gotta good head for banging wedges
Not too many collectors go for them

9AE1C0A9-8906-414E-8BAD-29F7B3703635.png

msellers

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, just took new pictures. Here are the few in the house at the present. The bouble bit appears to have had a casting flaw that popped at some point. Don't think it will be an issue, but will find out when I heavy use it. Also including my Tommy Axe, and a Craftsman carpenters hatchet. Wish I had a longer handle I could put in ithe Tommy Axe to be more useful. I love carrying it as a small cleaner when cutting firewood or anything.20190119_125418.jpg 20190119_125426.jpg 20190119_125429.jpg 20190119_125433.jpg

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good luck with the handle. I’ve been looking for a handle for my Kelley single bit splitting axe, every one I’ve picked up at a store has 100% wrong grain orientation. I’ve looked at around 50 or so. I would make one but I don’t have any hickory that’s dry enough. Hope your hardware stores have better handle suppliers than mine.

If you find one, sand all the poly off of it and apply some linseed oil twice a day for a week. Those handles are dryer than a popcorn fart and won’t last unless you treat the wood properly before hanging your ax.
Someone ask about where to buy handles. I’ve had good House Handle. They have everything you need. You can even get them sanded only. I would prefer making handles but it would involve a lot of time.
https://www.househandle.com/

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
6:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Someone ask about where to buy handles. I’ve had good House Handle. They have everything you need. You can even get them sanded only. I would prefer making handles but it would involve a lot of time.
Thanks for the tip man. I like making my handles but as you said, it takes a lot of time. And of course that’s the one thing none of us have enough of.

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the tip man. I like making my handles but as you said, it takes a lot of time. And of course that’s the one thing none of us have enough of.

Agree with you that last handle it took me hours
I’ve sent two handles too a CNC turner and there making me 50 of each style
So I got some handles too use and sell bit of an outlay but hopefully worth it

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Good handles they look well made and good straight grain