High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Shindaiwa 490 air filter problem

G

Greenerpastures

Hi everyone, I don't see a Shindaiwa specific forum, so I hope its ok to post this here.

Back in January I bought a 490 Shindaiwa, it looks like the old 488.
Since I got it I am tired cleaning the air filter, and to make things worse
there is always some bits gets into the elbow which leads from the filter
to the carb inlet.
I read another post where even changing to the flocked air filter
does not solve the problem.
I am wondering if anyone has discovered a better air filter or a mod that
will help keep dust out of the carb.
I have not tried the flocked air filter as I see no point when it does not
seem to work any better.
Would it be worth getting a new way to fasten the top plastic cover onto the saw,
and then with the bolt that holds this cover no longer required, I could drill a hole
and fit an air filter like comes on a Quad or something similar, does anyone know how well
these type filter work with fine dust, and yes the saw is sharp, its dust of the wood
its self, standing wood at that.
I also note that parts No7 & No8 are not on my saw at all, like shown on the flowing link,
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/shindaiwa-490-epa2-chain-saw-c-34630_34766_34777.html

Or as a last resort, does anyone know of a better 50cc saw that does not suffer this kind
of serious design flaw, how about the echo series of saws, or the stihl 260.

Thanks for looking, and hope to hear your thoughts on this.
Shindaiwa_490.jpg

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
2:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On that model does the airflow come from below the screen then into the filter neck? it has been a while since I have had one but you can try a gear grease around the neck and between the filter halves to stop fines. The 490 is a solid saw and you may find some benefit in a carb swap if yours still has the fixed high speed. Also chain condition will affect the generation of fine dust.

G

Greenerpastures

On that model does the airflow come from below the screen then into the filter neck? it has been a while since I have had one but you can try a gear grease around the neck and between the filter halves to stop fines. The 490 is a solid saw and you may find some benefit in a carb swap if yours still has the fixed high speed. Also chain condition will affect the generation of fine dust.
Hi psuiewalsh, yes, the filter sits down over the plastic elbow that goes into the carburettor below it, I will attach some pictures,
though not good quality, as my camera is out of action. Carb view.jpg Bottom view.jpg Top view.jpg

G

Greenerpastures

And yes, I had grease on, and the chain is sharp, yet there is fine dust around the carb,
and unfortunately some in the elbow, and inside the filter on the bottom mesh.
I clear it out, and its back in no time.
There is an o ring on the elbow, but the collar on the filter barely goes down to meet it.
I will be putting another o ring on the elbow, pull it up towards the filter, put grease
on it, clear away any that might get to the inside of the elbow, and push the filter
down slowly so to keep the two surfaces together, but how I can do this during a cutting
session, too much time would be needed, cleaning re greasing and trying to keep airborne
debris and dust partials out while the wind is doing all possible to cover the greased parts in dirt.
Not really a solution, as dust is entering the filter through the mesh, which as yet I have found no
way to stop.

Last edited by a moderator:

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
2:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A thought that you could try is the grease at the joint between the halves of the filter as well. The flocked filter would be better at catching the fines too. @Four Paws may have some additional thoughts. Does this model pick up the air from the flywheel or is there a pre filter in the tank handle.

G

Greenerpastures

A thought that you could try is the grease at the joint between the halves of the filter as well. The flocked filter would be better at catching the fines too. @Four Paws may have some additional thoughts. Does this model pick up the air from the flywheel or is there a pre filter in the tank handle.
I do not see any pre filter, and I am not quite sure what you mean regarding tank handle, as regard air from the fly wheel,
this I did not check, as I would not wish to divert it because that may cause the engine to heat.
and I put grease along the joint in the filter, its cleaned off now as a result of removing the partials
that stick to it.

Attachments

• Filter on.jpg
    Filter on.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 5