Best Buy Co, Inc. Buy Used Saws CCC Ebay Store HLSupply Daily Deals

Sheet metal nibblers

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Dustin4185, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Dustin4185

Dustin4185 Pinnacle OPE Member

We just finished a big metal roofing job at work and borrowed a set of nibblers from a coworkers dad. I have used them before in the glass industry for sheet metal work, but my supervisor hadn’t. After seeing how easily they cut corrugated roofing, he gave me the go ahead to purchase a set from his budget since we have about four sheds to build and the roof on my house and shop will be done sometime soon as well

Does anyone have a recommendation on a brand? Ive used Feins in the past and that’s what we borrowed, but Makita and Milwaukee seem to have good reviews as well. Definitely want a set that lock on, Dewalt has a paddle trigger like the grinders did and that can be a pain. All the pros I’ve asked or have been around use Fein or Makita with Fein being most common.

2. Fish

Fish Super OPE Member

electric or air powered?
    cordless?

3. Dustin4185

Electric or cordless, but I haven’t found cordless nibblers. We have cordless and corded shears.

I didn’t think about air powered nibblers, we usually have a gas powered compressor on site when building. We would just have to bring it on roofing only jobs. For some reason, we get to have all the fun roofing jobs.

4. Fish

Fish Super OPE Member

nibbler.jpg

stihl livin likes this.
  5. Fish

Fish Super OPE Member

I just did a Bing image search. I would imagine a good cordless one would be pretty handy. Are you yalking about the shear type or "nibbler"?

makita-djn161-nakertaja.jpg

6. Dustin4185

Definitely the nibblers. Now I wish we had Makita stuff instead of DeWalt.

7. Al Smith

Al Smith Pinnacle OPE Member

I've got both corded nibblers and shears,Milwaukee brand .Just this last summer I replaced the cutting jaws on the shears having worn them out over a period of about 12--15 years .
    They more than paid for themselves when I hand bent and hard formed the seams for my trunk lines when I installed the geo-thermal .I think it was 26 sheets of 22 gauge galvanized sheet metal .

Dustin4185 likes this.
  8. Dustin4185

How have the nibblers held up? It's down to Makita or Milwaukee. I just don't have a Fein dealer nearby and would have to purchase online.

9. Al Smith

I only used the nibblers for tight radius cuts so for longevity I can't really say . The cutting parts are really not a big thing because they are a replacable item .The Milwaukee parts are available on line as well ,after market it seems are cheaper and likely about as good .
    Neat thing about nibblers is you can drill a hole with a unibit and cut out a little hole like for 6" round duct without all the problems of using say right or left hand offset hand shears .

10. Al Smith

I might add in case somebody doesn't know .There are many companies who sell what they call "reconditioned"tools .Lowes,Home Depot and others have a no questions asked return policy of which they sell the returns to companies who test them,ship it in a new case with complete instructions and a new item guarantee for about half new price . I got a Milwaukee 1/2" right angle drill for $200 including shipping when they retailed for $400 .They're out there on the net you just have let Google find them .

11. USMC615

USMC615 God...Country...Corps

We use only Fein here in the DoD Fed Govt aviation/aircraft world. Can't speak on behalf of other brands nor their longevity. Cordless would certainly be a convenience though!

Philbert likes this.
  12. Dustin4185

Feins are the Cadillac, but really aren't that much more expensive. I believe that is what I will get.

USMC615 likes this.