searching info about old Stiehl Contra

kraweuschuasta

Active OPE Member
Local time
8:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Good morning everyone

first of all, I am new to this great forum, so I'll write a short introduction to myself
I am Wolfgang, 40 yrs old, located in Austria (next to Germany), married, 1 daughter.
sorry for my english, it could be better - so far It was enough to order pizza and a coke :)

I was always hmmmm I'll say interested, not addicted in chainsaws, sometimes used one in my youth but as IT guy
it unfortunately was never necessary using it in my job.

In my Garden there is no use for a chainsaw, cause after 10 years when we built our house and made up our garden the biggest tree is about 3 inches thick....

That changed a week ago when I inherited an old Stihl Chainsaw. I will skip the tragical history of it and stick to the presence.

I own a chainsaw !! A really nice chainsaw!! I became a real man :)

I suppose it lay around in a garden shed for over 3 years, I pulled the starter, nothing… Ahhhh hidden choke – pulled again – RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. My daughter complained, that its very loud…. So I answered: yes, thank god :)

Now finishing a long period of examining it I found the serial # 1134254 and a part number on the air filter: 9 1106 1410712 5

So I assume it’s a Stihl Contra Model 1106 from the late fifties or early sixties.
Think in the US it was named "Lightning"

After a long monologue of mine I kindly ask for help of you guys

- I am searching for more information, manual, service guide of this saw (just found a service manual here)

- do I have any chance to find out the model type and exact year of construction?

- which kind of gas do I use here (usually I use a gas mixture 1:25…1:40

- which kind of oil do I use here?

- There is a manual oil button – how do I use this correctly?

Many Thanks to you for any information or hint

Regards

Wolfgang

Attachments

• 20170525_171257.jpg
    20170525_171257.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 9

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Good morning everyone

first of all, I am new to this great forum, so I'll write a short introduction to myself
I am Wolfgang, 40 yrs old, located in Austria (next to Germany), married, 1 daughter.
sorry for my english, it could be better - so far It was enough to order pizza and a coke :)

I was always hmmmm I'll say interested, not addicted in chainsaws, sometimes used one in my youth but as IT guy
it unfortunately was never necessary using it in my job.

In my Garden there is no use for a chainsaw, cause after 10 years when we built our house and made up our garden the biggest tree is about 3 inches thick....

That changed a week ago when I inherited an old Stihl Chainsaw. I will skip the tragical history of it and stick to the presence.

I own a chainsaw !! A really nice chainsaw!! I became a real man :)
ill send you a PM with the manual
Peter

I suppose it lay around in a garden shed for over 3 years, I pulled the starter, nothing… Ahhhh hidden choke – pulled again – RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. My daughter complained, that its very loud…. So I answered: yes, thank god :)

Now finishing a long period of examining it I found the serial # 1134254 and a part number on the air filter: 9 1106 1410712 5

So I assume it’s a Stihl Contra Model 1106 from the late fifties or early sixties.
Think in the US it was named "Lightning"

After a long monologue of mine I kindly ask for help of you guys

- I am searching for more information, manual, service guide of this saw (just found a service manual here)

- do I have any chance to find out the model type and exact year of construction?

- which kind of gas do I use here (usually I use a gas mixture 1:25…1:40

- which kind of oil do I use here?

- There is a manual oil button – how do I use this correctly?

Many Thanks to you for any information or hint

Regards

Wolfgang

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
1:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome Wolfgang and beautiful saw! I can't tell you anything about it but you should at least post a video of it running.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Welcome to sawhood, you got 1 heck of a nice saw a desired saw I had the chance to run 1 last year with the governor removed by 295tramp. I don't know of anything that saw could shy away from. It pulls hard sounds great and and didn't hesitate one bit once you pushed on it to make it bark it low note song. Somewhere I did se a thread on guys still using them for milling lumber.

kraweuschuasta

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

kraweuschuasta

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
oops just forgotten in my previous posting, I found the owner`s manual for it, so if anyone needs the Stihl Contra manual let me know :)

There seem to be more Contra-addicted guys around. When I went into my local hardware store yesterday, starting with the Words:
I have a question Stiehl oldtimer saw- related there were triple shop-assistants with me as usual :)

Now I have 2 Friends more everyone with a Contra in his house.
And I had to buy a Stiehl Tshirt.

And they gave me a stihl cap :)

cheers, Wolfgang

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
oops just forgotten in my previous posting, I found the owner`s manual for it, so if anyone needs the Stihl Contra manual let me know :)

There seem to be more Contra-addicted guys around. When I went into my local hardware store yesterday, starting with the Words:
I have a question Stiehl oldtimer saw- related there were triple shop-assistants with me as usual :)

Now I have 2 Friends more everyone with a Contra in his house.
And I had to buy a Stiehl Tshirt.

And they gave me a stihl cap :)

cheers, Wolfgang
send me a copy pleasePeter