Saw's on a stick

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
8:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am thinking about getting a pole saw, what do you guys have and what do you prefer?

It is time for our farm to get a pole saw, and it's that time of year to start cleaning the edges of fields up. Going around on a loader bucket with a chainsaw is getting old and time consuming. In the past we've looked at cheaper home owner versions and I am afraid of the longevity of them.

From what I am seeing, in the Stihl line up there is the HT-101 and HT-131. From what I understand, they are 4-mix. I have used a buddies saw attachment on his Kombi power head multiple times and I've never been fully impressed. It doesn't spool up like a 2-stroke and I am assuming that will be a issue with the Stihl pole saws too.

Then I see the Husqvarna 327. I don't know anything about this model. My dealer has one on his shelf, and it looks like a very nice unit.

Echo PPT-280, this is one I've been reading very good reviews on, but again I don't know anyone who actually has one.

I am fortunate enough to have great dealers within 10 miles from me for all three. I am not opposed to any of them, they all treat me very fair.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
7:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The husky has a traditional 2 stroke motor whereas the Stihl has a 4 mix motor which has valves that need maintaining im pretty sure

Flip

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We've had a HT 131 for about five years on the farm and I really like it. It's got the power to bury the 12" bar and we use it quite a bit each spring and haven't had to do any maintenance to it yet. Sure beats standing on a pallet while being drove around on the front end loader.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the 45 minutes a year I actually need a pole saw, I just rent one.

The two rental places we have around here don't rent them. We tried renting one last spring.

Did you ever get your mity mite saw on a stick working?

stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 131 too, had it a long time. Never had a problem with it. I read all the stuff that was going to go wrong with it after I bought it and though I had screwed up, It's easy to start and works. I even bought a 14 inch bar for it and it will bury it with no problem.Motor sounds funny but has plenty of torque. Downside to them is they are expensive. Stihl is proud of them.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a generic" none branded" long reach pole pruner /hedge cutter . It has a 28cc Mitox power head and a straight 1 pice shaft . For the small bar and chain i use plus the size of timber i tackle 1-6in Dia ..it is more than up to it. I have a lot of 8ft tall hedging to take care of through the year so it gets plenty of action…3yrs on …all good .Even did a little Muffler mod on it , worked a treat :D . Pays your money and takes your choice .

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a HT 101 that I bought new a few years ago. It always starts easy and runs well. However, The flippy cap for the oil gives me grief now and then.

I bought mine to trim a Hawthorne tree/bush that had grown around the power line to my old house. That lousy tree had 1 1/2" thorns on it and it was one thick mess of tangled branches. The previous year I attempted to trim it and ended up in the ER when a branch fell and broke a thorn off deeply into my shin that I couldn't pick out. The quotes to cut it down were ridiculous and I thought it would be a great excuse to finally buy my own.

You also need to be careful not to pinch the chain when the branch you cut puts pressure on it and is dangling 16' up. I never loan it out either.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've used bothe 2 and four stroke I personally like the 2 stroke for the weight. But the stihl 4 mix works good too and is pretty snappy

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a HT 101 that I bought new a few years ago. It always starts easy and runs well. However, The flippy cap for the oil gives me grief now and then.

I bought mine to trim a Hawthorne tree/bush that had grown around the power line to my old house. That lousy tree had 1 1/2" thorns on it and it was one thick mess of tangled branches. The previous year I attempted to trim it and ended up in the ER when a branch fell and broke a thorn off deeply into my shin that I couldn't pick out. The quotes to cut it down were ridiculous and I thought it would be a great excuse to finally buy my own.

You also need to be careful not to pinch the chain when the branch you cut puts pressure on it and is dangling 16' up. I never loan it out either.
Alota folks complain about ole flippy! Lol! Ive had mine leak

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I wish they had a bar mount that can be moved 45° for a different angle of attack say under cut then do back cut. They didn't think of gravity when they designed the ones I've used

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think that I'll ever use mine enough to worry about the cam followers or valve adjustment. It's pulled duty at my house and family members yards. It's not being used commercially here. I don't know how long a HT101 would last commercially.

The flippy cap is a real bugger when they don't seem to "cam" over and you think they are closed when they really are not. I'm very careful about checking it now before I cut.