srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
8:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And an XT would do them even better and be more forgiving.
This one was second on the same chain.
Plenty of guys say they won't run without an unlimited coil and an hd filter, okay lol.
This one has a base gasket delete and a little larger MM.

If you bother to put a timing light on them usually the limited coils fire 5-10 degrees earlier than the unlimited. So, chances are pretty high you just bolted on a timing advance.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you bother to put a timing light on them usually the limited coils fire 5-10 degrees earlier than the unlimited. So, chances are pretty high you just bolted on a timing advance.
I've noticed something similar on 272 coils also. Of a dozen or so that I've checked, some have a dead flat timing curve up through 10k rpm. And some of them continually retard the timing the higher you go. Ive had to set them at 46° btdc at idle to get 36° at 10k rpm

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've noticed something similar on 272 coils also. Of a dozen or so that I've checked, some have a dead flat timing curve up through 10k rpm. And some of them continually retard the timing the higher you go. Ive had to set them at 46° btdc at idle to get 36° at 10k rpm
Seems like it should be the other way around? Advance at a certain point and retard at idling speeds to make starting easy?

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The xtorq can run good for sure. I wouldn’t put a unlimited coil on a xtorq though anyway with the heavier piston and plastic cage bearings.
Why, I'd still tune them above the coil, I'm not running them against the limiter a lot.
Besides, @huskihl is the only one burning up bottom ends on them lol.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why, I'd still tune them above the coil, I'm not running them against the limiter a lot.
I tune them above the coil too. The limited coil saves excessive no load rpm on the bottom end imo. I know people complain about it being more difficult to tune. Not really hard to do on them after you’ve done it a few times. I tune mine to just hitting the limiter, then lean it a 1/4 turn usually. Same for a 7900 dolmar.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tune them above the coil too. The limited coil saves excessive no load rpm on the bottom end imo. I know people complain about it being more difficult to tune. Not really hard to do on them after you’ve done it a few times. I tune mine to just hitting the limiter, then lean it a 1/4 turn usually. Same for a 7900 dolmar.
I do the same, did it yesterday before the video :). I only have two XT's and one 7910 that don't have a limited coil so that's just what you have to do, I'm not real concerned about the bottom ends as their mainly running under load. It's even easier on the MT/AT saws lol.
I may get out a stock 7910 and run it in the same wood later today as well as run the same two with a 20" setup, depends how the day goes.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where have you seen the unlimited 7900/7910's like to be set at after porting with an unlimited. Last time I ran mine it was at 14.4 and seemed quite conservative but ran very well there.

Last edited:

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Continually retarding sounds like a magnet or coil issue. Too much inductance in the coil or not enough magnetic force to decay the coil field quickly causing the spark.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The OE has been gone over, refreshed and with some mods done to it :). Be interesting to see how much it gains after break in on the new slug. It’s not a popping, just horrible sound quality in these first two videos from the wind coming off the flywheel/exhaust. Hard to show gain sometimes in small wood too, but it’s what I had.
9 seconds
7.4 seconds
A boring test/tune check video

Last edited:

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where did you hear that? I bought mine with the bearings already burned up.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where have you seen the unlimited 7900/7910's like to be set at after porting with an unlimited. Last time I ran mine it was at 14.4 and seemed quite conservative but ran very well there.
They're all different, depending on what it's ported for. I'd guess around 14,400 or so. I don't really pay attention to it. If it's still 4 stroking after making a cut ,its good

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Continually retarding sounds like a magnet or coil issue. Too much inductance in the coil or not enough magnetic force to decay the coil field quickly causing the spark.
Don't know. Half of the ones I've bought retard and half of them hold steady

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The OE has been gone over, refreshed and with some mods done to it :). Be interesting to see how much it gains after break in on the new slug. It’s not a popping, just horrible sound quality in these first two videos from the wind coming off the flywheel/exhaust. Hard to show gain sometimes in small wood too, but it’s what I had.
9 seconds
7.4 seconds
A boring test/tune check video
The crackling is your exhaust overloading your phone mic. Distortion

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where did you hear that? I bought mine with the bearings already burned up.
Joking, I haven't even bought one with a smoked bottom end yet, seen a lot of oe's that needed cranks though.
They're all different, depending on what it's ported for. I'd guess around 14,400 or so. I don't really pay attention to it. If it's still 4 stroking after making a cut ,its good
I hear that, just wondering where they were coming in at.
Apparently I suck at the multi-quote thingy.

Baby steps...
Select "Quote" on all the posts you want to respond to, then hit "Insert Quotes", then you will see them on the page just reply to each one and hit "Post Reply".
If you want me to do a video I can :).