Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
2:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice! In the "strong" lever gun category I got an original Model 71 in .348 Winchester, and a Browning replica of a Model 95 in 30-06.

My Uncle used to have both a Model 95 in 405 Winchester, and a Model 86 in 50-110. The 405 is in the famous pic of Teddy R. and the Rhino.

I am not familiar with those calibers Mike, how do they compare to a 45-70?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not familiar with those calibers Mike, how do they compare to a 45-70?

45-70 factory loads are very mild, as they are often fired in Trapdoor Springfields (a weak action). Hand loaded they can be very robust in a strong action. But the large round nose calibers loose energy fast down range, and are intended for close range stuff.

The Model 71 348 Win is a lever action that had about the same energy at muzzle as a 30-06, and good power out beyond 200 yds. It was very popular in the 50s, and ammo is still manufactured by Winchester because it remains popular in Alaska, where you may need to stop a Grizz at close range. The 348 is a necked down (34 cal) 50-110 loaded to higher pressure (the receiver was hardened). The base of the cartridge is larger than a 45-70.

I took my first 3 deer with the 348, then my eyes got weaker and I transitioned to scoped hunting rifles.

The 50-110 was the largest caliber the Model 86 was chambered for, but it was a low pressure black powder cartridge, great for short range work. (50 cal, 110 grains of black powder, instead of 45 caliber and 70 grains of black powder).

The 405 Winchester was a very powerful (higher pressure) 40 cal cartridge, and was like the 375 H&H of it's day, good for about everything. I believe it was the most powerful cartridge to be loaded in a lever action rifle (until recent times).

Teddy Roosevelt called it his "Lion Medicine". He did not intend to take a Rhino with it, but it was what he had when he encountered the Rhino.

Model 95 Winchesters were able to handle pointed bullets (most lever guns can not), and it was a very strong action. Winchester intended it to be a military firearm, but the US did not adopt it, although Texas Rangers and the Rough Riders did use it. Russia did adopt it for a time. It was chambered in 30-40 Craig (a US military cartridge), 30 Russian, 30-06, 35 Winchester and 405 Winchester. The 405s were both rare & valuable.

In the movie Australia, Hugh Jackman is carrying a Mdl 95 when he goes on the island to save the kids.

The Model 95 was a very desirable, but expensive firearm in it's day. My Uncle hunted with a 30-40 that had a factory 28" barrel. The long barrel would give that cartridge 100-200 more fps than would be attained in a shorter barrel rifle.

Back to saws!