Saw video thread

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
10:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
difference%2Bbetween%2Boctane%2Bnumber%2Band%2Bcetane%2Bnumber.jpg

Y'all are right on the Octane definition, but inversed on the Cetane definition. Cetane measures Diesel relative combustability (how easy it is to light). The higher the Cetane#, the easier starting the fuel and engine will be, and generally smoother idling it will be (usually better mileage too'). That's why many people, myself included, use Power Service, or some other fuel treatment in our diesels, to increase the Cetane number, and make them easier starting in the Winter. There is also a usually a lubricity modifier package in there as well, to help the injectors and fuels systems in engines made prior to Ultra-Low Sulfur fuel mandates live longer, as the sulfur acted like a lubricant, similar to tetra ethyl lead in gasoline once upon a time. The Ultra-Low Sulfur is hard on older systems, like my ALH engined VW...

If anything, adding two-stroke oil to gasoline would effectively increase the relative octane, as the oil has a higher specific flash-point than straight gasoline has. It is another form of fuel though, and adds more energy density to the fuel, than simple gasoline alone. Cetane domestically fluctuates between 37-45 but the target is 40. In much of Europe, the fuel is closer to 50 on average, allowing many of the long refined diesel designs to hit performance and mileage targets not achieved here (with the same engines) due to crappier fuel and the tuning associated with it.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
11:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Redbull661
Do you have the link for your fuel test?
@mdavlee

I don’t have a link here. I tested a lot of fuels milling. 87 and VP SEF were the fastest. Saw compression was increased and had finger ports that I used for milling. It was somewhere around 20% from 87 to pump 93.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Mike. I remember you milling with the 87.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took my Grandson's to see that … and was able to tell them "Know what Grandpa used to shift his 427 Ford motor at …. 6,800 RPM"!!!

My motor was a 66 Holman and Moody cross bolted - side oiler block, but I did not have the Lemans Rods in it … they were stronger! (My crank had been trued, cut 10 + 20).

I had it is a 70 Boss 302 body. I remember going into a parking lot one time … and there is a Ferrari with the engine cover up and the guy griping about how hard the carbs were to tune. Then he looks at me and says "but it runs real great when I get them right". I responded, "Yea, almost as good as my 427 Ford Motor"! He said NOTHING!!!
Check this out Mike!

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find it weird how you would want faster burning fuel in a low rpm diesel. I'd think you'd want the fuel burn to be longer to take advantage of temperature pressure as well as fuel decomposition expansion pressure. Once that fireball is gone, all that extra pressure is gone too, right? Other than the left over warm reacted gasses.

BACK ON TOPIC

saw video

Stihlms

Chris
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Big difference between a car and a chainsaw: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, 15,000 RPM vs 7,000 RPM, Most cars have computer controls (knock sensors) to adjust timing and valve timing, etc. Most saws don't have computers, and a 2 stroke can not adjust port timing.

A two stroke often runs so fast there is no time for pre ignition unless the timing is way in advance. This is especially true if you increase the oil over 50:1 and increase the Centene rating (slows the burn).

A chainsaw almost always operates near max RPM, a car can easily be lugged at low RPMS … in a nutshell they are completely different!

New cars benefit a great deal from higher octane fuel, chainsaws usually do not. I do run high test in my saws, not because I think it will make them run stronger, but it will help them to run cooler and last longer.
Squish can affect pre-ignition also

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is with the race thing??? Also, I understand he is self made rich and has lots of toy cars.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
difference%2Bbetween%2Boctane%2Bnumber%2Band%2Bcetane%2Bnumber.jpg

Y'all are right on the Octane definition, but inversed on the Cetane definition. Cetane measures Diesel relative combustability (how easy it is to light). The higher the Cetane#, the easier starting the fuel and engine will be, and generally smoother idling it will be (usually better mileage too'). That's why many people, myself included, use Power Service, or some other fuel treatment in our diesels, to increase the Cetane number, and make them easier starting in the Winter. There is also a usually a lubricity modifier package in there as well, to help the injectors and fuels systems in engines made prior to Ultra-Low Sulfur fuel mandates live longer, as the sulfur acted like a lubricant, similar to tetra ethyl lead in gasoline once upon a time. The Ultra-Low Sulfur is hard on older systems, like my ALH engined VW...

If anything, adding two-stroke oil to gasoline would effectively increase the relative octane, as the oil has a higher specific flash-point than straight gasoline has. It is another form of fuel though, and adds more energy density to the fuel, than simple gasoline alone. Cetane domestically fluctuates between 37-45 but the target is 40. In much of Europe, the fuel is closer to 50 on average, allowing many of the long refined diesel designs to hit performance and mileage targets not achieved here (with the same engines) due to crappier fuel and the tuning associated with it.

I apologize for having the Cetane rating backwards, but in relation to one another, diesel is VERY LOW octane and Gasoline is VERY LOW Cetane rating.

However, if you drop a match on each spilled on the pavement you will think it is the opposite.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can't lite diesel with a match I'm told...
Thus the high compression needed for combustion...
Diesel contains Cetane
Gas contains octane

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can't lite diesel with a match I'm told...
Thus the high compression needed for combustion...
Diesel contains Cetane
Gas contains octane
And a cetane rating for gas, and octane for diesel is the dummies way of comparing the two fuels. And I are one of those dummies.