High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Saw seeking tips

SawSeeker

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to this hobby and very new to this forum. I have one question that will help a lot of us... Where do you find your saws? I understand that no one would want them if everyone could get them but what are some tips that can help us newbies out? I'm talking locally of course so I'm excluding ebay and I swear the Craigslist chainsaw ads have not changed in the last 6 weeks in my area. Have you found that the best finds are builder saws from local arborist or completely random garage sale/ pawnshop stops? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've picked up a few decent saws from pawn shops and tree service companies. Some pawn shops are fairly knowledgeable about them and some aren't. Those are the ones you want to hit. I bought a 440 with a bad coil for $125. He was asking $200 but he messed up and told me it would quit running after cutting a little. I also explained they hadn't made that saw in a few years. It worked out for me.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m a craigslist guy.
Watch it all the time and place ads to sell saws, always include that I accept other saws in trade.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great info Fruecrue. I have also put out advertisements in the local ads. Have picked up a few saws that way. Going to go look at a big 2 man mcculloch here in a few days from one of those ads.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never bought one from a yard sale or a pawn shop. Ebay is my friend. Craigslist I used to search
often and found many great saws but seems now that everyone is searching craigslist so I gave up on
it. A lot of saws now a days kinda find me.

SawSeeker

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've never bought one from a yard sale or a pawn shop. Ebay is my friend. Craigslist I used to search
often and found many great saws but seems now that everyone is searching craigslist so I gave up on
it. A lot of saws now a days kinda find me.
Ebay has been great for parts. I think word of mouth and a little patience is what I really need. The main problem around here (Indiana) is timber size. Not a lot of people require much more than a 20" bar so the larger more interesting (to me) saws are few and far between.

Ikeholt

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't realize you were in Indiana. Maybe you can't find any because I've been collecting them for 35 years.:D Or it could be Modified Mark has them all. There's a lot of big saws in Indiana, people just usually keep them. I'm in Noble County, if you are nearby I might sell you some saws. CAD is pretty strong though, you got any for sale?

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ebay has been great for parts. I think word of mouth and a little patience is what I really need. The main problem around here (Indiana) is timber size. Not a lot of people require much more than a 20" bar so the larger more interesting (to me) saws are few and far between.

I'm on Cape Cod surrounded by beach sand. How big do you think the trees are here.
All my big saws come from far away.

SawSeeker

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm on Cape Cod surrounded by beach sand. How big do you think the trees are here.
All my big saws come from far away.
Guess it was just a bad excuse then... I'll try harder.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My best deals have came from the forums second to the "dead pile" from dealers .I've also got a couple of tree trimmers who have bestowed gifts on me .