Saw Maintenance

ffchewy17

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
looking for some info/help on preparing a new saw maintenance program for my FD. We currently do not have an PM schedule for saws. I am trying to implement a program for bi-annual PM on all the departments saws. I will be doing all the repairs, I do have experience in full saw rebuilds. I'm looking for any general forms that shops/builders use to get an idea from customers what's wrong with saws. The dept is throwing out saws that have scored Pistons from straight gas/ air leaks/ over heating. The current maintenance group has no idea on how to clean cylinders with transfer or even replace coils, fuel lines, pistons, crankcase bearings or that it's even possible. The maintenance crew recently threw out (3) 461 and (2) 1260 with just scored Pistons, they didn't even try to fix them, they hit the dumpster before I could stop them.... I'm still pissed. Also trying to put together a 4-hour basic saw maintenance class for 800 personnel, any class curriculum that anyone could share would be great.

Current saw list-
(81) Partner/Husqvarna K950/K960
(24) Husqvarna K1260
(14) Stihl 461R
(28) Vent Master Husky 575xp
(52) Stihl 044/441

I have the Maintenance Manual/IPl for the saws. The 52 Stihl 044/441 are used for strictly wood cutting and are issued to all the units during hurricanes/disaster so they sit most of the year. The cut-off saws are used on all the Tower Trucks/Heavy Rescues and get a good amount of use, same with the 461R and Vent Masters.
Anything particular to look for in the 575xp? 044/441? Would the VP SEF be good to run through the 044/441 before they are put back on the shelf? I always idle my personal saws dry with VP SEF for long term storage.

I have experience with the 461, WWS 390xp, and Dolmar 7900, that's what I use personally at home.
Thank you.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
8:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
IF you're department is going to buy pump gas keep it no longer than 3-4 weeks if ethanol free is used you can store the fuel up to 90 days with out stabilizer.
I'm going to recommend this as my local FD does the same buy 50:1 premix in the 5 gallon can from VP fuels it is around 60-70.00 dollars but worth the investment and under idea storage conditions the fuel can stay fresh for 3 years in the can.

ffchewy17

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keeping the chains sharp are out of my control right now since the we run carbide chains. I'm hoping I can convince the Dept to purchase a chain grinder that will take a diamond she'll for the chains. VentMaster currently charges $90.00 to sharpen a 66driver 404 chain and $30.00 per tooth for repair up top 8 teeth, that's $200.00-$343.00per chain for sharpening or repair. $343.00 buys a new 20" chain. We currently have about one chain per week going back for sharpening or repair/replacement.

The woods saws we sharpen on our own.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
8:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
good lord 90$!!! you could buy a sharpener and a wheel for carbide chains and save the company a substantial amount of money after the first two sharpening.
because truth be known it would be cheaper in the long run.

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
invest in spare air filters or bash it through their heads to clean clean clean.if goong the spare route make sure all dirty filters go in a box for cleaning in the near future.
spare filters during an emergency really could mean a saved life for one of the crew,someone in need or even the poor saw.

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Did I just read $90 to sharpen a Chain!! Hold on Give me a beer Good lord!:godsdrink0nw::copas:
Why man the America charge 62 dollars per hour for saw repairs the technician drink his coffe for the first 55 minutes and the last five minutes change the part or iam wrong ??
Maybe this is why everyone have a pressure-vaccum pump in his toolbox

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Best thing to do is train them in proper maintenance.

No best thing to do is to writte the saws to the operators , so if the saw have problem and the technician say that is operator false then put him to pay for the repair
then all the saws will be clean and fine

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No best thing to do is to writte the saws to the operators , so if the saw have problem and the technician say that is operator false then put him to pay for the repair
then all the saws will be clean and fine
Yes hold them responsible. That wont happen though.