Trader history (0)

DrewUth

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Local time
5:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking for a project saw...I've never owned a saw bigger than 54cc and I am finding myself more and more in need of something that can pull a 24" bar. Really want a 65-75cc + saw, but bigger is always better so I would certainly not turn anything away. Partial to Poulans and Pioneers, but would consider anything in my (admittedly diminutive) price range of under $200. Maybe a big old Homelite? I am going to have to sell and trade off some stuff to come up with that cash, plus whatever I need to make it a runner. Would love to find something that I can buy a bar and chain for, a carb kit and maybe some odds and ends and have an ugly duckling ripper for the winter and spring. I have some Dayton branded Poulan Micros and a Poulan Pro 5020 that I have become bored with that I would be willing to offer up in trade, partial of course, if anyone might be interested in them.

Help me break through the 3-cube wall, its holding me back!

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The $200 budget holds you back from many options... but it can be done with some work and determination. If I was you I'd get a home depot 6400 for about $200 then later fit a big bore AM kit. Then you would have a high quality pro saw from the 21st century. Old saws have problems in that parts are scarce/NLA and can become money pits. A decent 6400 with big bore will handle/perform/cut with the best new high end pro saws. Even a stock 6400 will run a 24" b/c until you can afford a $50-100 BB kit. This plan done right may give you late model high performance that sawyer's envy.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The $200 budget holds you back from many options... but it can be done with some work and determination. If I was you I'd get a home depot 6400 for about $200 then later fit a big bore AM kit. Then you would have a high quality pro saw from the 21st century. Old saws have problems in that parts are scarce/NLA and can become money pits. A decent 6400 with big bore will handle/perform/cut with the best new high end pro saws. Even a stock 6400 will run a 24" b/c until you can afford a $50-100 BB kit. This plan done right may give you late model high performance that sawyer's envy.
A new 6400 is $200????

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup, talking about the ex renters. A lucky member got a clean one the other day for $120 cause the HD guy could not start it......the on/off switch was off:rolleyes:. But I realise you have to be persistant and willing to wait for a deal like that. But with a $200 budget wanting 5 cubes to pull 24", the op has no 'off the shelf' options.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd say 925 Homelite as it should be quite reliable and plenty of parts are available. Oh yeah, it ain't boring at all and IT will pull a 30" bar nicely. While old, they aren't ancient and can be found under for $200 running with bar and chain.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I will have a ms440 back by Wednesday from the dealer, it is having a case half switched and all new bearing and seals, but the price would deffinetaly be higher than 200.00 but it is a really gd saw. BTW the cas was cracked by the oil fill from a tree so I just figured might as well put new bearings and seals while it is down, just for piece of mind.

how57

It’s a city! Not a smoke!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking for a project saw...I've never owned a saw bigger than 54cc and I am finding myself more and more in need of something that can pull a 24" bar. Really want a 65-75cc + saw, but bigger is always better so I would certainly not turn anything away. Partial to Poulans and Pioneers, but would consider anything in my (admittedly diminutive) price range of under $200. Maybe a big old Homelite? I am going to have to sell and trade off some stuff to come up with that cash, plus whatever I need to make it a runner. Would love to find something that I can buy a bar and chain for, a carb kit and maybe some odds and ends and have an ugly duckling ripper for the winter and spring. I have some Dayton branded Poulan Micros and a Poulan Pro 5020 that I have become bored with that I would be willing to offer up in trade, partial of course, if anyone might be interested in them.

Help me break through the 3-cube wall, its holding me back!
I have a Stihl 041 super with a 24" bar. They are a 72cc saw. It's nothing to look at, but the p&c are in good shape. Granted it's an older saw and not as powerful as a 044 per say. Depending on your zip code, I might be able to accommodate your budget. If you're interested let me know and I'll send some pictures.

Howard

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A Mac 10-10 will also pull a 24" bar but is not exciting, though loud, and I wouldn't push it too hard. It would probably do best with skip in that length. And a 10-10 is certainly within your budget figure.

DrewUth

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies- for some reason I haven't been getting notifications? So my apologies for the delayed response!

Yup, talking about the ex renters. A lucky member got a clean one the other day for $120 cause the HD guy could not start it......the on/off switch was off:rolleyes:. But I realise you have to be persistant and willing to wait for a deal like that. But with a $200 budget wanting 5 cubes to pull 24", the op has no 'off the shelf' options.

Thanks for the idea! I forgot about ex-rental saws. I was at Home Depot last night, and all they have are Ryobi's, one Echo and a 42cc Poulan :confused:

The HD rentals were $200 several years ago, last time I checked they were asking $325.

Try your local pawn shops, I have scored several running 70+ cc saws for $100. In fact, I ran a $100 pawn shop Stihl 044 yesterday.

View attachment 41484

Mr. Guido sir I was hoping you'd chime in, you have lots of cool Poulans....but none in my price range?

I have a good running 955 Homelite 955 with brand new Oregon 24" bar that would fit the bill. If interested pm me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will send PM- would like to see some pics, thanks!

I have a Stihl 041 super with a 24" bar. They are a 72cc saw. It's nothing to look at, but the p&c are in good shape. Granted it's an older saw and not as powerful as a 044 per say. Depending on your zip code, I might be able to accommodate your budget. If you're interested let me know and I'll send some pictures.

Howard

PM on its way- pretty interested!

Thanks again all. I know that its a pretty steep request with some severe limitations. I have time and all the mechanical know-how to fix things and get them running on the cheap. But there just aren't many project saws of this caliber in my general area. I hunt Craigslist at least once a day!

DrewUth

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As to the original poster, a Poulan 3.4 to 3.7 might work for you as well and under your budget as well.

I would love a 3.7, I haven't seen one pop up yet. I have seen a 3.4 for sale, and I know there is one for sale here too (craftsman colors) and I am tempted...but trying to hold out for one a bit bigger. Not sure if a 3.4/3400 would pull a 24" bar, thoughts? If someone said it would run a 24" bar no problem, I would consider one more seriously.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just checked some HD 6401 rentals and they were $255-$275 ;)

I sold a 375PP for $150 this year. Might look at the 65cc-70cc Partner saws they can be bought 150-200.

IMO your poulan 54cc will outcut the 3.4 56cc. Least mine have.

Last edited:

DrewUth

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just checked some HD 6401 rentals and they were $255-$275 ;)

I sold a 375PP for $150 this year. Might look at the 65cc-70cc Partner saws they can be bought 150-200.

IMO your poulan 54cc will outcut the 3.4 56cc. Least mine have.

I haven't built that saw yet actually. The Craftsman 3.0 bottom end I was going to use for the project has a crank wobble (flywheel side bent or otherwise un-true) so I have just stockpiled the new crank seals and the top end. The 3000 I have is such a fantastic runner that I don't want to take it apart for a 4cc gain. I can't find a 24" bar in .325, are they around? If I had one, I would build the 3450/330 saw and run that setup contently.