running one ring instead of two??

Davey83

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey everyone, I once read on another forum that you could run one piston ring instead of two to lower piston drag and get a little bit more power/revs out of your saw, the particular saw I'm talking about is an 046
however it seems its not a common mod to make and I feel that I would not like to make the mod before confirming its safe to do, I was considering putting a fresh set of rings in it and would run one caber if I was to do it.
thanks.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
8:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can. I have done it so transfers could be placed how I want. Never had a problem like Redbull

Davey83

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can. I have done it so transfers could be placed how I want. Never had a problem like Redbull
would you say it was a worth while thing to do though, I don't make a living out of saws I just heat my house and love to tinker and monitor gains to be had out of simple mods, its a hobby...
I don't plan on altering ports, possibly a gasket delete depending on squish

Davey83

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ok I might just go with the two ring idea then, thanks for the imput.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
As I've mentioned in other threads my 044 work saw that gets hammered all day most days is running only top ring, however I've also ported it and it's running a dual port muffler, and tuned accordingly. It all depends on the saw and the application

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
8:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
well you do have an issue of free port. some would argue that matters some would say it's not big enough.

I bought a 661 not knowing the bottom ring had been taken out. It had low compression so I suspected something was up. I ran it for a while. Twice it just stopped running mid cut. So I took it apart, seen that it was missing the bottom ring. Installed one. No problem since. Maybe it works better on other saws. I dunno. But that is what happened on the 661. Maybe it was outside the specs of the mtronic? who knows.

:icon_popcorn:
Hmnnn .....................
An Ohio saw ??
:rolleyes:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run 2 rings on pistons that have two grooves however I've tried just running 1 top ring on some ported saws and you get a few more RPM's and power can be good. But in Aussie hardwoods that load the saw bringing the RPM's right down I find 2 rings 'feels' like its making more power. Give it a try and swap to see what you like best. Its a better way to find stuff out than just internet opinion.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I run 2 rings on pistons that have two grooves however I've tried just running 1 top ring on some ported saws and you get a few more RPM's and power can be good. But in Aussie hardwoods that load the saw bringing the RPM's right down I find 2 rings 'feels' like its making more power. Give it a try and swap to see what you like best. Its a better way to find stuff out than just internet opinion.

Well said, go try both and see which you prefer!