Holz Hausen Round type stack

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would like to try and stack some of my wood into those fashionable round style pagoda type piles. They kind of look like a mushroom.
Does anyone have a link to how to stack those rounded type piles?
Greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a big one I made. Something like 20-24' in diameter. There's a 5 month old baby on the pile for scale :).rps20171204_191656.jpg

This was taken before I finished the pile; it got considerably taller. I guess I didn't get a picture of it at the end. I never shingled it, but just threw a big tarp over it instead. I figure it held about 10-12 cords. It was nice in that there wasn't much stacking compared to traditional stacks, but looked a lot better than a loose pile, and made it possible to tarp a lot more wood.

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Oh, and don't forget you have to split all of your wood so that it is tapered!!!!

Okay, okay....just kidding around!!!! You actually have me thinking I may want to try this myself next year! I'm running a little short on shed space!

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never tried that. I did go to stacking on pallets around the outside then throwing the rest in the middle. Worked hella real well. Anything to keep it up off the ground. I’m cleaning up my two year old pile. Wood still has lots of color to it. I’d recommend pallets to anyone. Not trying to hijack yer thread clam man. Also see no need to tarp my wood

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK. I started my first round stack house today. It isn't real pretty, but seems sturdy. I ran out of daylight. lol
I layed down 3 pallets, 2 regular size and one double pallet and built up from there. The photo is a little deceiving as for the size. About 5 feet high. Just have to finish the top. The inside is stacked as tight as I could get it, but there are air holes in the middle. Next one I will lay a tight weave metal mesh fence type material over the top of the pallets to keep mice and chipmunks out. Should still allow air to flow while keeping bottom protected. I got a long way to go to get better at these. Lol
20171220_163952.jpg

Attachments

• 20171220_163957.jpg
    20171220_163957.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 23

MarcS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can’t find a picture right now but made one a few years ago. 9’ and 7’ tall. To keep the walls straight every two feet or so i laid a row of splits end to end around the circumference to level the layers out again. Also about halfway up i laid some long poles crisscross to tie the sides together. Topped it with some slab wood as “shingles” and gave it an overhang. Worked out sweet and yes the neighbors thought it was crazy.