High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Rough running Ferris w/ Kawasaki engine

dgeesaman

OPE Member
Local time
5:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a 2009ish IS3100z with Kawasaki FX1000v (non DFI) engine, 700 hours.

A couple of weeks ago the pulley worked off of the right hydro pump. The pump shaft looked good so I replaced the bushing, both belts (which were fragged) and it was running again. I noticed that the deck belt pulley was bent on the electric PTO clutch.

Another thing I've noticed is the muffler seems to be leaking at a few of the welds. I can feel warm air pulsing off the end opposite the exhaust exit.

It's still running a bit rough. Not sure it's not the engine, but that PTO clutch has me wondering.

I'm not against changing both the clutch and muffler, but I could use some suggestions on whether the muffler or clutch could cause it to run rough.

Thanks, David

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably not. After 9 years and 700 hrs i would clean and rebuild the carb. New plugs. Adjust the valves. If still runs rough check compression. Possible worn valve guides or valves or cylinder and rings.

dgeesaman

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I did the carb, plugs, and checked valve lash just two weeks ago. I suppose a compression test is next.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 3100z with the 36hp briggs. Love the thing. A real mowing machine with the cadillac ride for a ZTR.
Also check that both cylinders are firing the plugs. Disconnect and ground a plug wire and start it. Then try the other cylinder. If it won't start on one cylinder you prob have a bad coil. Big twins can fool you and run pretty good on one cylinder. When you say runs rough is it at idle. Full throttle. Any setting?

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually most v-twin I have work for ignition or valve problems can run nearly as well on cylinder as both when off load. The last v-twin that I put an rpm meter on when I was having ignition problem only dropped 300 rpms when off load. Plus v-twins are firing the 2 two cylinders only 90 degrees apart then coasting for 270 degrees. So it like having a single cylinder with a booster that fires 90 degrees later. Now a miss firing
ignition can a rough idle on these. An example would be a rusty plug terminal as I had on a Dixie Chopper with a 27hp Generac engine last year. This is feel the pickup and dropping of the extra cylinder.

As for if the PTO electric clutch can it to run rough yes it can if the bearings are going bad. I even seen engine completely lock down because of a massive PTO bearing failure on a Cub ZTR where I had to cut off the clutch.

dgeesaman

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Coils and plugs were changed just a few dozen hours ago. I will double-check but I doubt they've died already.

It runs a bit rough all of the time.

I think it's time for the PTO clutch. If I end up needing a new engine, the clutch will need replaced anyway.