Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sir Rodninny has a large Locust he wants to slab for table tops, already down.
I have a big maple that i wanna slab for table tops and shelving lumber, its already down.
The Rodinator has a granberg mill that he intends to enlarge.
He has a hard nose 3002 mount 72" bar.
I have a 59" Stihl ES bar.
My bar is not long enough to get through the fun crotch and base parts of the larger of my logs.

There is a possible mutual milling marathon in the offing, but I have a ton of questions.

Is Oregon ripping chain good stuff? I was thinking to grab a 100' roll.

In my head a sprocket bar is way better than a hard nose for milling, am I crazy?

Best option for powerhead/s for 72" mill.
a pair of ported MS660s
an MS880
an 076 Super
a 2100
a 3120

I am assuming (dangerous I know) that for a single powerhead an auxilary oiler is needed.

How important is it to have a matched pair of power heads?

Finally how friggin much will a slab weigh, I found an online calculator that is telling me a 3" thick by 60" wide by 14 foot long slab is going to be 3500+ pounds. If that is accurate I need t rethink my table :)
Local fab shop is going to make a square tubular steel frame for it.

first one o you fuggers laughs at my crocs is gettin' wacked

59" bar 3002 mount for reference
IMG_8461.JPG

the log on the right is from the top of the main stem on the left, i am hoping to see some nice figure in the crotch of the big one

stump the bottom one was cut from
IMG_8462.JPG

IMG_8464.JPG

IMG_8465.JPG

This is the type of bar i prefer to run :)
IMG_8467.JPG

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So a pair of 660s over a single 880 then?

I have an 090G but no muffler and I have never tried to fire it up so that is probably off the table.

sort thinking Cannon 72" sawmiller bar with a helper handle/sprocket for running with a single powerhead or run dual without on the same bar depending on power heads available at the time.
Dave

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about a ported 088/880? Chucks pulled that 404 through maple pretty good...
Agree on the sprocket nose fer sure.
Agree on the aux oiler.

Also figure on hydros to move around these beasts when done. That crotch piece where the heart wood has cracked into a circle isn't going to be good. You have the ability to bow-tie?

Mike let me borrow his 50" bar/chain to mill a maple crotch. It was full skip square filed Carlton. I've milled with skip square on his recommendation a bunch and it works great. A bit hard to get the file on the tooth right while on the mill, but he can. I haven't mastered it yet.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thinking double cannon 72" would let us use a pair of 066s and allow future use of single or double powerheads down the road

Is Oregon ripping chain good or junk?

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
f36b6401d106aec1c6bf8cf4f5f34011.jpg

These are the guys that use 2 090's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't think the power heads need to be matched as far as power/size but seems like it would be an advantage to have peak working rpm close.

I have a 44" dual head setup with a 2100 and an 1100 that I've never tried because I haven't had someone around to run the other end. I made a smaller single head one and run the 1100 on it.

And yeah those slabs are heavy to deal with, I've limited myself to around two feet by six if I want 2-3" thick hardwood and have to drag them a ways to the truck.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't know squat about milling but those crocks? Hum....
See, I know when to duck :eusa_dance:

I think your roller nose is the way to go. I still have yet to see where a dual power head has any advantage over a single with the roller tip you speak of.
Two power heads equals two people, that seems to be a draw back imo. A single power head custom built to mill would be my best answer. The 076s you have I would think is the best pick for a single. All grunt and no quit in that pup. The aux oiler seems to have the most advantage to freeing up the chain to cut wood with less drag. Sending you a PM.

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a big maple that i wanna slab for table tops and shelving lumber, its already down.
My bar is not long enough to get through the fun crotch and base parts of the larger of my logs.

There is a possible mutual milling marathon in the offing, but I have a ton of questions.

In my head a sprocket bar is way better than a hard nose for milling, am I crazy?

a pair of ported MS660s
an MS880
an 076 Super
a 2100
a 3120

I am assuming (dangerous I know) that for a single powerhead an auxilary oiler is needed.

Finally how friggin much will a slab weigh, I found an online calculator that is telling me a 3" thick by 60" wide by 14 foot long slab is going to be 3500+ pounds. If that is accurate I need t rethink my table :)

View attachment 57797

the log on the right is from the top of the main stem on the left, i am hoping to see some nice figure in the crotch of the big one

View attachment 57801

View attachment 57802

View attachment 57803

View attachment 57804
Bars OVER 36", expect to goto 404 chain

a pair of ported MS660s
an MS880
an 076 Super
a 2100
a 3120

View attachment 57797

View attachment 57801

View attachment 57802

View attachment 57803

View attachment 57804
  • Bars OVER 36", expect to goto 404 chain (NOT 3/8)
  • AUX Oiler is needed over 36-inch
  • Weight sounds about right, I know red oak 1"x60"x16" (wet)=50#, and x2" thick= 100# (I weighed them, LOL)
  • (Some users of dual powerheads) have said a waste of fuel, one powerhead sufficient ???
  • Woodland Pro chain (Carlton Mfr) will save you $100 or more/ roll, and is great chain... (My survey) has found few Oregon users for milling; Oregon is great chain also, no argument there, Just $$

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bars OVER 36", expect to goto 404 chain

• Bars OVER 36", expect to goto 404 chain (NOT 3/8)
I dunno, I borrowed Mike's 50" b/c's and they are 3/8. I had no issues milling my chunk of maple with them. I am also getting a 42" b/c from another member here this weekend which will be dedicated to mill duty and it's 3/8. I have no reason or plan to consider 404.

showrguy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was gonna buy an 84" Cannon Superbar and chain from a guy on A/S, he was asking $550.00, when I sent him a PM, he then changed his price to $650.00__------------- what a Jackwagon....
It was gonna go on my MMWS MS880 that sits on the mantle...

Oh, and crocks were invented for the dominant one in a shemale/shemale relationship-------- just sayin !!

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a 42 GB bar now. It says 404 on the hard tip but is running 3/8 0.063 that came with it. I have not gotten the loop sharpened yet but soon. 404 is waiting for me to do the bar alterations. The B&C needs a good cleaning, a few hammer taps and dress the bar. Rail groove looks real good. I'm thinking a roller tip might be just what it needs.
Staying with the 3/8 0.050 in 36"ES wide nose with a matching 28"ES fatty to. They can handle the smaller weeds.
Step three for me will be building a good AV system into the mill. No good AV no go for me.

So spring or rubber that is the question. Oh btw, I am not holding that saw trigger or top handle so the power head won't matter on AV. AV will be custom built for the handles and throttle bar. Notice I said bar not trigger. I must be able to run the mill from both sides easily.