Rivet spinning ?

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stumbled across this vid today. Interesting idea if you have a drill press and grinder handy (and some old needle rollers).

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone seen / tried one of these? Started seeing them on eBay - not any less expensive than some other options, but looks more compact (and maybe more complex?). Curious to hear what users might have to saw about them.

Tecomec Chain Repair Master
View attachment 44368 View attachment 44370
View attachment 44369

Philbert

@Philbert, did you ever hear anything about these? Trying to decide to get one, or the separate tecomec bench mounted breaker and spinner. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Philbert, did you ever hear anything about these?
I did get one to demo. And while I still like the idea of the compact / 2-in-1 design, I found it awkward and difficult to use. Also slower to have to change it between breaking and spinning configurations if you are working on a number of loops.

I made a few modifications / tweaks, and while I was able to use it, I prefer the basic, separate breaker and rivet spinner set, which is what I recommend.

This is what I would buy today:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecomec-Ch...301401?hash=item58e9d6f759:g:d0UAAOSww3tY7Vb7

Philbert

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did get one to demo. And while I still like the idea of the compact / 2-in-1 design, I found it awkward and difficult to use. Also slower to have to change it between breaking and spinning configurations if you are working on a number of loops.

I made a few modifications / tweaks, and while I was able to use it, I prefer the basic, separate breaker and rivet spinner set, which is what I recommend.

This is what I would buy today:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecomec-Ch...301401?hash=item58e9d6f759:g:d0UAAOSww3tY7Vb7

Philbert

Many thanks good sir.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stumbled across this vid today. Interesting idea if you have a drill press and grinder handy (and some old needle rollers).

No doubt what this guy has done is clever, smart & he will never have to buy a new punch bit again. His reason for his invention was in his words, 'no matter how careful you are, you break punches easily' then he shows you all the punches he's broke. Philbert likes the ol saying 'prevention is better than cure', so do I. Anyone who breaks chains knows how hard the rivets are and if you just go at it without preparation you WILL.break punches fast. If you grind/file/sand or whatever the rivet some prior to pressing it out the job becomes a LOT easier. Prep the rivets & a punch will last almost forever. Rivets are convex in shape & slippery this adds to the difficulty. By removing some stock off the rivet you also create a better surface for you to press out rivet. So...I like his idea, I might even make one but if he changed his method just a little, he could have prevented the broken punches pretty much all together. Its always good to have a spare or three though....and when choosing a breaker/spinner its important to buy something that will have replacement parts available well into the future. Old breakers can be great high quality tools, sometimes better than what's available new but if you can't get punches its almost useless.

Last edited:

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agreed. I discovered very quickly that grinding the heads off rivets makes them extremely easy to punch out with very little strain on the punch itself. Even relatively easy with a hammer and hand punch with a pocket anvil, after using your portable pocket grinder, of course. LOL

And I would also recommend the Tecomec spinner/breaker combo..., especially at that price. I paid more for my used one a few years back. It uses common anvils and punches available everywhere.