Rivet spinning ?

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would be buyin that before someone's else does.... by chance does this guy have anything else for sale.... maybe a good grinder????

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took the plunge at a slightly reduced price. And no, the guy didn't have any other saw related stuff for sale except a plastic Craftsman.

Probably 30 - 40 loops to untangle and sort through and not as much useful bulk chain as I was hoping for, but a fair amount of .404 / .063 and a boatload of .325 / .058 when those needs arise. That Logger measuring stick is gonna get a workout going through all the loops. Very handy.

No extra punches and the compartment tray contents left a bit to be desired...., well, a lot to be desired. Lots of older rusty chain parts, very few drive links, quite a variety of presets, though not necessarily matched up with corresponding tie straps, etc., etc. The parts in the bags are nice and clean...mostly presets and straps with part numbers on the bags. Whose part numbers is anyone's guess.

The orange breaker and spinner say Made in Italy on the spinner. The extra breaker is a Foley Belsaw with no punch or handle. All are seriously heavy duty and definitely old school tools.

Anyway, here are a few pics. Not sure what the yellow handled punch is for. Sorta seems like some type of unrelated crimping tool. So where would I start looking for decent and compatible punches and maybe some spinner parts?

TIA for any info/input.

1117161845.jpg

1117161853.jpg

1117161855.jpg

1117161846b.jpg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 'Made in Italy' part sounds like Tecomec, who makes a lot of stuff for Oregon. And the style of 'take up handle' on the spinner looks like Oregon stuff. Oregon is usually pretty good about supporting their stuff, even some older stuff. Folks at Bailey's might also be able to help - they sell Oregon and used to sell some clones by 'Prevision Tooling'.

If you mic the diameter of the breaker punches, folks can tell you how close they are to stuff they have.

Pre-sets can be worth a lot. Nice to have a selection or you can sort out what you have - folks might buy ones that you do not want.

Philbert

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure what the yellow handled punch is for. Sorta seems like some type of unrelated crimping tool
It is a cage clip installation tool for making cages out of welded fence wire. Things like chicken, bird, and rabbit transport cages is some the ones I have make with mine.

These are the clips that it is used with.
266991.jpg

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like a nice tool.

These help too when sorting through odd chains:

Oregon 55418
View attachment 41233

Granberg Pitch-N-Gauge

View attachment 41234
Philbert

There's a similar multi-gauge assistant on one end of the measuring stick. Not nearly as convenient as the Oregon or Granberg, tho. Those look easier to check a bunch of chains in a pile or hanging together than having to individually bring each chain to the end of the stick.

1119162018.jpg

Also started looking into breaker and spinner parts. Seems as though I need to get more acquainted with parts terminology to better understand and sort through the typical options for the different sized chain components? I gather .250 and .325 anvils and punches are one setup while 3/8 and .404 is another with 3/8LP being yet another? Just downloaded the Oregon Dura-Max parts sheet to digest all of this. I did see reference to non-supported older models but punches and anvils are evidently still available for em.

As usual, the input is appreciated. Thanks.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 'Duramax' is Oregon's heavy duty line. Yours looks more like their standard model:
http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/accessories/RivetSpinner_24549B.htm

Bailey's used to carry the standard model, as well as either a clone, or a competing 'Precision Engineering' model (also made by Tecomec?).

I also like the adjustable anvils for breakers.

More info here:
http://www.tecomec.com/subcategory/chain_saw_accessories_rivet_spinners/index.htm
http://www.tecomec.com/subcategory/chain_saw_accessories_chain_breakers/index.htm

Philbert

Last edited:

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Evidently an Efco branded Tecomec and predecessor to what is the Oregon 24549 and 24548. Some design changes and I hope the current Oregon components will work with this set. I seem to need either an "A" or "B" take up handle depending on which one I already have along with a couple spinner anvils/inserts and the appropriate punch(es) for the breaker. Would also like to get the newer style spinner handle but have no idea how to get the one off the unit that's already there to check for possible compatibility with the newer parts diagrams.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From the Foley... Diameter is too small for the orange breaker...

1121161327_resized.jpg

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
take up handle from my yellow one might be half inch longer but thread is same as my newer oregon. I have a red breaker like your foley marked oregon.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep. Sure looks like the same punch to me. Also looks like the second one in the Bailey's link is what I need for the orange breaker.
Not sure which take up handle/insert combination for what sized chain I have on the spinner. Any way to tell? Also, here's a pic of the current insert. Certainly looks like the Oregon/(Stens?) A/B replacements but I have nothing but online pictures for comparison since I haven't found any descriptions that include measurements.

'Preciate the help.

1121161902_resized.jpg

1121161909_resized.jpg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are probably 'gonna have to measure those with a micrometer - a few thousandths can be a big deal.

Send those measurements to Bailey's, Stens, wherever, and ask if theirs match.

Philbert

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
all of mine are 8 mm the oregons fit in the harbor freight . the native harbor freight are .010 loose to allow slight wiggle. yours is a B as A has no cone on end. sometimes you just gotta spin one and see if it makes a good head. when dealing with used equipment thats the proof.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just measured mine at 8.02 mm with a typical digital caliper. So the "A" is flat on the end and for the .250/.325? How about the take up handle tip? Same deal?

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
my stihl ng7 has a A B takeup which is great since it is a unique part to ng7. harbor freight has small and large inserts for takeup. old tecomec and new oregon had no letter on takeup

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can only assume I have a "B" handle if there's a "B" insert then. So I need an "A" handle and insert to do .325 stuff. Now to find em locally at a dealer that'll order em for me or someplace online that doesn't gouge on shipping.

Thanks again for the help.