Rivet spinning ?

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am needing a little advice on spinning rivets. Just started making loops from bulk chain.

When spinning rivets on 3/8lp chains what would I be doing wrong to cause them to have cracks? I don't have problems with reg 3/8 and .325 rivets just the 3/8lp ones. Am I applying too much pressure during spinning or do I just have bad presets?

Last edited:

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been using some moly grease. Maybe as you said I am taking the slack too quickly or maybe I shouldn't be using any grease so it build up more heat. I'll just keep trying to improve my spinning though I would to get it right sooner than later.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
7:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's likely in the presets try a couple different methods I wouldn't sweat it too hard if they are for your personal?

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use two stroke oil in a squirt can to lube the spinner. I have found they crack for being dry and to much pressure on the take up handle. Is the chain tight when you are done and it's cracked?

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's likely in the presets try a couple different methods I wouldn't sweat it too hard if they are for your personal?
They are actually for customers which is why it is worrying me somewhat about the cracks the point of safety. I haven't had one to come apart, just don't like seeing those cracks.

I might try ordering some Oregon presets. Currently I am using the ones that came with the Timber Ridge chain roll so they might be cheap China steel. I will put together the carbide chain this weekend as I got about 25 stumps to cut out from where the electric company took my tree line of Bradfords. Personally I don't like the way they were constantly splitting off limbs from the last time time they were trimmed.

jmester, the chain is fine as far it is not binding and spinner tip is not marking the tie strap. This marking I have done on couple straps from over doing it on the .325 chains, even then it was hard to over tighten the links. I am pretty well decided I got a bad batch of presets.

It looks like consensus is that I either got a bad batch presets or I am just in too big of a hurry for the rivets to finish. Looks like I need to do practicing on a junk chain which I just got in.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What spinner do you have?

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is whatever Bailey's Woodland Pro spinner is and btw I am still gun shy of Bailey's after my credit card info was hacked through them.
WoodlandPro+Chain+Breaker+++Spinner+Combination_M.jpg

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lo pro rivet spinning is the trickiest pitch to do IME. Easy to go to far and sieze them up.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When I got my spinner years ago, it came with 2 different sized spinners. I lost one of them long ago.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I retried them this morning and it appear to be minor problem with the spinner not cleaning up the edges. The rivet heads were smaller this time around but no cracks so I think found my problem and there is nothing I can do; unless, there was better alignment. That what you when they have one spinner to fit 3 sizes (1/4, 3.25, and 3/8lp) as one size does not fit all sometimes.

I ended up destroying a couple presets getting it right so I just a lot more practice doing these 3/8lp links.

Here is snap shot of what I was referring to. Sorry for the poor quaility as it is older phone camera but still better than cheap digital camera I brought. You probably can't see the cracks.
P11-02-16_07.47_zpsrm1bfr4u.jpg

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could never justify buying a breaker/spinner setup until now. Was always skeptical of the cheaper ones quality-wise and couldn't afford the $$$ for the heavier duty brand name stuff. Ran across this deal locally and am supposed to meet with the guy tomorrow to see what all is actually there. It's older stuff from a local old school hardware store that finally closed the doors after many, many years serving a fairly small community.

Anyway, they were the local saw service shop back in the day and this batch of goodies was included in a batch buy of a bunch o' stuff by the guy I'm meeting tomorrow. He's asking $150 for everything but the price sounds negotiable. Says the breaker and spinner say "Foley Belsaw" on em but I thought their units were blue? Looks more like old Oregon or maybe Herr from what I've been able to dig up with the limited research I've done on what I can see from the pics. S'posed to be approx 200' of chain plus all the loops.....plenty to play with learning how to use the breaker and spinner.

Main question is what should I be looking for regarding included punches, anvils, etc.......or more accurately, missing pieces that may be difficult to come by and probably expensive if I can even find em? I know that certain parts are available from Oregon that were common among several breaker/spinner setups but don't really want to spend more than what I'll already have into the whole deal in the first place.. And if I pull the trigger on this, I'll definitely need some pointers and help sorting out all the parts in the tray with all the compartments unless the labeling is still intact and legible.

Sooooo...., a decent deal? TIA for any input, folks.

chain tools 1.jpg

chain tools 2.jpg chain tools 3.jpg

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'd say that you would come out OK, you would be able to sell some loops to pay for your investment.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi, Fish. Hi, Gary.

Yeah..., it looks like there's quite a selection of parts in the tray. Just need to be sure the necessary pieces for the breaker and spinner are there to make and break the typical chain varieties.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Put up closer pics of the breakers and spinners, we should be able to identify them. If you are missing stuff, you could always just sell what you have.

Shawn Curry

Cuts trees in half
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My woodland pro spinner came with 2-3 different "spinner anvils" for different sizes. I've never tried spinning a 3/8lp though as I put a lot more miles on my .325's and up.

My breaker anvil is just a block of metal with various width grooves machined into it, one for each different chain pitch. Looks like oregon makes an adjustable one too. The piece to inspect for damage would be the punch. But, even if it is chipped/broken, $150 still sounds like a really good deal for all of that.