huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
9:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you played with these saws a bunch?
what have you tried that failed and what has worked for porting? Or what have you tried and what did you change for what reason?
I've never done a 385, but I've done 4 or 5 390's. Most of my saws are ported similarly to one another. I like low exhaust duration for keeping torque up and excessive rpm down. I match the base gasket to the case and match cylinder to the gasket. And I try to match the cylinder and piston at bdc. While that's not entirely possible on a 390, I still try to make the skirts of the piston lineup with the cylinder extension. I also try keeping the intake duration below 160 on most Huskies. I don't know what it is about it, but they just feel better to me with a 78 degree intake opening then they do down at 85

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never done a 385, but I've done 4 or 5 390's. Most of my saws are ported similarly to one another. I like low exhaust duration for keeping torque up and excessive rpm down. I match the base gasket to the case and match cylinder to the gasket. And I try to match the cylinder and piston at bdc. While that's not entirely possible on a 390, I still try to make the skirts of the piston lineup with the cylinder extension. I also try keeping the intake duration below 160 on most Huskies. I don't know what it is about it, but they just feel better to me with a 78 degree intake opening then they do down at 85

Less intake duration = more crankcase compression.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m interested in your take on the 385 vs 390 when your done Kevin, the 385 seems to have a reputation for turning out as good or better than a 390 from what I’ve heard despite the cc disadvantage. I look forward to reading this build, thanks for doing a thread :)

Last edited:

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m interested in your take on the 385 vs 390 when your done Kevin, the 385 seems to have a reputation for turning out as good or better than a 390 from what I’ve heard despite the cc disadvantage. I look forward to reading this build, thanks for doing a thread :)
With only 1mm difference in bore size, I think we'd be lucky to tell much difference

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for posting Kev. We do more reading material, and it takes a lot of extra work/time to post it all.

Pretty wild on that crank. If the snout wasn’t busted, I wonder if it could be pressed back together and welded.
That is my emergency plan. But I'm not putting it back on a customer's saw. The clutch end needs welded and recut for the eclip, too. JJ is sending me a crank to replace it.