High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Replacement engine for push mower

JMoney

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I need to replace the engine for a Snapper self propelled push mower that's about 18 years old. The deck is quite similar to the one here and is still in good shape for the most part. It's actually my favorite deck design that I've used for a mower. This is for residential use. Here is a similar mower on the Snapper website. https://www.snapper.com/na/en_us/product-catalog/push-mowers/commercial-walk-mowers.html

Bef0re making the actual purchase I will measure/verify the shaft specs, but by looking up the model number I've determined they should be 25mm x 3-5/32". The old motor is a 12H802-1987-B1. I don't believe it is worth rebuilding, and there is light scoring in the bore. I believe this is a 6HP motor with 12 cu inches displacement. New motors appear to be substantially smaller on average, and I am concerned about placing an under-powered motor on the deck.

My first choice is probably the Honda GCV160. My only concern is that it is 40cc smaller than the motor it will be replacing. I am aware that it is an aluminum bore consumer motor, but so is the one that lasted for 18 years (though I did not purchase the mower new). For twice the price I don't think it's worth buying an engine that will probably outlive the deck. I am reassured that Snapper actually puts the similar Honda GXV160 on the mower I linked above, which has a similar deck. .

Am I missing anything? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Thanks,
Justin

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
harbor freight predator motors - honda clones- honda over priced just because it says honda GC are likely made at same plant somewhere in chicom

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
harbor freight predator motors - honda clones- honda over priced just because it says honda GC are likely made at same plant somewhere in chicom

Word+99.99 with coupon

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Small Engine Warehouse has new take off and scratch and dent Briggs engines for about a hundred all the time. I think you can even plug in your machine's info into their site and it will pull up compatible replacements.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to replace the engine for a Snapper self propelled push mower that's about 18 years old. The deck is quite similar to the one here and is still in good shape for the most part. It's actually my favorite deck design that I've used for a mower. This is for residential use. Here is a similar mower on the Snapper website. https://www.snapper.com/na/en_us/product-catalog/push-mowers/commercial-walk-mowers.html

Bef0re making the actual purchase I will measure/verify the shaft specs, but by looking up the model number I've determined they should be 25mm x 3-5/32". The old motor is a 12H802-1987-B1. I don't believe it is worth rebuilding, and there is light scoring in the bore. I believe this is a 6HP motor with 12 cu inches displacement. New motors appear to be substantially smaller on average, and I am concerned about placing an under-powered motor on the deck.

My first choice is probably the Honda GCV160. My only concern is that it is 40cc smaller than the motor it will be replacing. I am aware that it is an aluminum bore consumer motor, but so is the one that lasted for 18 years (though I did not purchase the mower new). For twice the price I don't think it's worth buying an engine that will probably outlive the deck. I am reassured that Snapper actually puts the similar Honda GXV160 on the mower I linked above, which has a similar deck. .

Am I missing anything? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Thanks,
Justin

I have had several gcv160 engines. All on 21" self-propelled units. Always started easy and ran well. Only issues are thr carbs but they are only about 22 bucks. Never felt they where underpowered. If you are worried about that get the gcv190.

JMoney

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Tanks for all of the replies guys. Small Engine Warehouse looks like a great find.
For Briggs I can go from the 725EXI to the 775Pro for just $35 more. I believe this has a cast iron sleeved bore, for $35 it seems like the way to go.

I always had the impression that Honda made the best mower engines, but that's probably just an idea. There are also Kholer's available. Any advantage of the Honda or Kholer motors over Briggs?

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All the small briggs and kohler engines are made in china. Not really a bad thing. I personally like the smaller briggs vanguard engines. The honda clones are on par with other brands and parts are dirt cheap. Not a big fan of the smaller kohler stuff because of parts cost. I steer clear of any asian engines that are not a honda clones because of parts availability

msellers

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for all the direction everyone, am shopping similar for a replacement briggs 550e. The carb I just bought is working, but not liking the cheapy for several reasons. Definitely need to do some more maintenance to it. Thinking valves are getting a little movement based off of sound, and occasional blue puff.

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok. Gonna jump in here with dumb questions. Got two rwd mowers that i really like. One is craftsman the other is from lowes. Unfortunately they both have busted engines. Both are b&s. One is 190cc. The other is similar but tag is gone.
Questions are:
how do i tell engine model.
Will any similar sized engine work?
Guessing I’ll need to consider the drive issues but not sure what specifically.

Very comfortable working on 2 and 4 stroke engines but have never swapped engines in mowers. All help appreciated. Tia

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok. Gonna jump in here with dumb questions. Got two rwd mowers that i really like. One is craftsman the other is from lowes. Unfortunately they both have busted engines. Both are b&s. One is 190cc. The other is similar but tag is gone.
Questions are:
how do i tell engine model.
Will any similar sized engine work?
Guessing I’ll need to consider the drive issues but not sure what specifically.

Very comfortable working on 2 and 4 stroke engines but have never swapped engines in mowers. All help appreciated. Tia

Start spraying the crank pulley with WD40 or what ever.

That's all I got.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On briggs push mower engines if it is an older flat head engine look for numbers stamped in shroud above the spark plug wire. On OHV engine look for it stamped between valve cover and air cleaner or above the muffler.

MACHINE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I call the CHonhas
Pretty good motor, put on on my tiller , good torque and quite

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Small Engine Warehouse is near Dunkirk Indiana which is about 70 miles from me .I never saw so many mowers,engines ,pressure washers ,generators etc in one place in my life .It's like 5 acres ,wall to wall .In buildings under tarps .It's usually about the least expensive in the entire country for new engines .
I met the owner Roy but I'd imagine by now his son probably is running the business .

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are the spacing/size on engine mount holes on the mower deck and on the engine standard throughout the industry? Ie- will a honda, b&s, etc. easily swap atr will it require modifications?