Replacement case half SN

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked at a Stihl 460 that was posted on CL. It was fairly cheap for the condition. Like $400 cheap for a pretty good looking saw. As a LEO, I am concerned it may be hot as the serial number on the PTO case half is not there. Not really any grind marks, and there is an X stamped in that spot. I cleaned off the area where it normally is. Is there another SN location?

Now, the saw looks like it may have had a case half replaced at some point. The owner said he bought it from a guy that used to log.

I just feel guilty buying a probable hot saw!

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think $400 for a 2 owner saw that was possibly originally (according to the story)owned by a logger that possibly has had the case split on a saw that could possibly be over 10 years old, is crazy cheap?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only other place you will find the SN is on the gasket surface between the case halves. Does it have a PN on the bottom of the case?
I don’t think replacement oem cases have SN on them. Someone correct me if I’m wrong please

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only other place you will find the SN is on the gasket surface between the case halves. Does it have a PN on the bottom of the case?
I don’t think replacement oem cases have SN on them. Someone correct me if I’m wrong please
I wouldn't think a replacement would have a serial number as that's tied to a saw as a whole. A SN on. Replacement case half would be just a serial number for a part then and a lot of extra work stamping and accounting for that part in many cases would be pointless.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
11:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had an 064 that had a replacement case and it didn't have a SN on it.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makes sense that it would have a replacement case half
Yes and no!!

To me it doesn't make much sense, all my loggers when they crush or run over a saw just put them in a pile in the shop for when they need parts. But most of them don't run stihls...they run disposable husky saws!! (Ducks, runs and hides :) hahaha)

And what is it about loggers around here and they can't keep the chain brake hand gaurd intact?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
all my loggers when they crush or run over a saw just put them in a pile in the shop for when they need parts.

That’s what we do too. Maybe the OP saw was new when it happened and it was worth it to save the saw.

Last edited:

Finnrpm

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
crnk_cs.jpg
Probably huztl crankcase.......
If i would do crankcase swap, i would keep original case if i would be selling the saw, so buyer can check history of the saw.
RV

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 165201
Probably huztl crankcase.......
If i would do crankcase swap, i would keep original case if i would be selling the saw, so buyer can check history of the saw.
RV
Most people aren't paranoid about that stuff, most loggers don't save ruined parts.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think $400 for a 2 owner saw that was possibly originally (according to the story)owned by a logger that possibly has had the case split on a saw that could possibly be over 10 years old, is crazy cheap?

Fat finger syndrome. $300 was asking price. I'm not an expert on splitting cases, etc. I just may let it go. I wasn't sure if the part number would have been there or something.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
you are correct

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haha, just heard from a deputy I contacted about it. It was hot alright! Ex employee caught on camera stealing it and two 661s, two Husky 390s, and a pole saw. I just didn’t feel right about it. I got this info from the logger since he is actually logging on the WMA. I asked him about the case half had not been replaced! He had altered the serial number and apparently ran it to try to cover it up.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well that's why your the cop!

Did they pick he guy up!

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But you also met the guy too which we can't get the feel for his shady character that you experienced and how the story was told.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m just an ol’ green jeans game warden!

The deputy that I called to see if anything had been reported lately hunts down here and we share info on culls when needed. He called me right after I made the post about the $300 price. I have to go fill out some paperwork in the morning!

The logger hadn’t been to shop in a few days. He keeps a small connex box on his jobs to store saws, oil, etc. He had a saw go down and went to get another one at his garage and couldn’t find them. Watched the footage and caught him stealing them.

Too bad the owner didn’t catch him in the act!

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But you also met the guy too which we can't get the feel for his shady character that you experienced and how the story was told.

That’s why I made the call! Granted about half the people in that county is shady, I just didn’t have a good feeling.