Remodeling an old house + addition

John Wargo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like you've got a full plate there. Very nice job. Keep the pictures coming. And how many block could you lay in a day?

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like you've got a full plate there. Very nice job. Keep the pictures coming. And how many block could you lay in a day?
Thanks! Took me and another guy about 9 hrs. to lay all the block. Should have taken about 7 hrs. but we were fighting the mud.

LOMartin

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very impressive work.

Property owners doingnthere own DIY remodel is always impressive.

Everything is very nicely done.

I don’t think Randy ever thought one of his saws would be used during a remodel to cut an access. Ha.

Are you doing this full time or just an after work/ weekend affair ?

Last edited:

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very impressive work.

Property owners doing their own DIY remodel is always impressive.

Everything is very nicely done.

I don’t Randy ever thought one of his saws would be used during a remodel to cut an access. Ha.

Are you doing this full time or just an after work/ weekend affair ?
Thanks for the compliments! I’m not sure how to answer that simply... so here’s the long version.

This is kind of a full time thing right now, because I want to get this house done ASAP. And I’m actually working on getting my contractor’s license now, but I’ve been doing this kind of work for much of my adult life. Just not always in a professional capacity, exactly...

I actually built cabinets for ten years or so, then had a falling out with my brother for a while, so I worked for myself for about two years doing remodeling, building decks, and anything that was small scale enough that I could do on my own. I live in a small town, and have built a good reputation. Through word of mouth, I have more work than I can keep up with. When the weather is bad, I still build cabinets at my brothers shop.

With the help of my dad and father in law, and a few good friends, I remodeled my entire house. I’ve also added on to my own house twice, and done almost every step myself. I’ve worked here and there for a local plumber, electrician, and my wife’s dad is a flooring contractor... and I’ve done quite a few jobs with him.

We didn’t have much money growing up, so my dad always did everything himself, so as kids (4 boys) we helped with all kinds of construction projects. Luckily my dad was pretty competent and taught us a lot of useful skills. I also took two years of Construction and 4 years of Woodshop class in high school. My teacher was a former building contractor and he was a great teacher.

So I guess most of what I know is from working with my dad, shop class, reading books, watching videos, asking questions, and then just using common sense and figuring it out. Building cabinets has helped a lot because I get to see what other contractors are doing, and have always asked a lot of questions when I’m on their job sites. I’ve always been amazed at how willing those guys were to share their knowledge with me.

So to summarize, I guess I do this full time. And sorry for the ridiculously long post.

I have tons of pics from other projects I’ve done... maybe I’ll have to start another thread, so as not to clog up this one!

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bathroom floor was rotted out, so I redid the whole bathroom, along with all new plumbing. Nothing too fancy, but I am happy with how it turned out.

View attachment 173322 View attachment 173323 View attachment 173324 View attachment 173325

I decided that plumbers are too expensive, so I got some new tools, and did it myself. I love using PEX.View attachment 173327

I see you chose to use color coded water lines. I wish our shop would do that as we have guys that constantly cross waters and it sucks to fix when you turn the water on when the house is finished.

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Done. I have to work at the cabinet shop for the next couple days... one more inspection and I can hopefully start framing the floor on Saturday .

1EF7F0D0-31CA-4A27-AC53-C1B2620D88B6.jpeg F25E3693-FBD0-45D8-A1C3-EAAB66376FB8.jpeg

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see you chose to use color coded water lines. I wish our shop would do that as we have guys that constantly cross waters and it sucks to fix when you turn the water on when the house is finished.
I’d probably hook them up wrong if I didn’t.... I was in a new house recently and all the PEX was white, and it was a pretty big house. I was surprised to see the sprinklers were plumbed right into the cold water supply lines.

MontanaTed

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I’d probably hook them up wrong if I didn’t.... I was in a new house recently and all the PEX was white, and it was a pretty big house. I was surprised to see the sprinklers were plumbed right into the cold water supply lines.

I’ve always used the clear Pex. I love that milwaukee expander tool. So handy.

Were you surprised it was correct or the fact they directly into the cold lines?

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve always used the clear Pex. I love that milwaukee expander tool. So handy.

Were you surprised it was correct or the fact they directly into the cold lines?
It may have been clear PEX, but it was kinda white in color.

I just figured the sprinklers would have to be an entirely separate system. But I guess they don’t.

MontanaTed

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
It may have been clear PEX, but it was kinda white in color.

I just figured the sprinklers would have to be an entirely separate system. But I guess they don’t.

Could have been white, not positive if they make expandable (type A) in white but shark bite makes white PEX and it’s a crimpable style.

That would have surprised me too it it wasn’t coming off a main run for the sprinkler I’d think the flow would be restricted. Most systems I’ve seen they take it off just after the meter if they can. Always so many ways to do stuff.

Your project looks like a fun one for sure! Been a while since I’ve seen CMU wet set into the footings like that. So many poured walls nowadays.