Remington 700 6.5 Creedmoor

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I've been trying to get to the point that I can take a pic of a huge buck with my 6.5 across the antlers, but it just keeps not happening!
:nusenuse:

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
7:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The only benefit I see from the Nosler family of cartridges is magnum performance without the belt. If I could get a .338WM cartridge, minus the belt, it would be about perfect for my needs/wishes. I still may end up with a .338 RCM, but I honestly don't like the short, squat cartridges. For my abilities/needs, a bit longer action is nether a detriment to my ability to carry it, nor to its accuracy potential. Plus the longer cartridges, with modest necks and shoulders, feed smooth as silk. The shorties can be a PITA. I don't plan on needing more than one round in the field, but knowing that I can with no fuss or drama is a plus, (another reason that the .30-06 family shines). Unless I do end up with a WM, the only belted cartridge(s) I'll ever have will be a .300 H&H or a .375 H&H, simply because I like them and they work. I honestly see no point for a bolt action cartridge to have a belt. Hell, even a .416 Rigby doesn't have a belt.

Just like saws, I see all sorts of "if I could only have 1, 2, 3, etc rifles they'd be "X". You couldn't go wrong with an -06 cased or .308 family cartridge. While I dearly love my .243, if I could only have two, they'd likely be a 6.5 Something (likely -284) and either a .338 WM or a .35 Whelen. A strong argument could be made for the .22LR or .22 Mag, but for practical purposes, there's nothing in the vast majority of the world I couldn't do with those two.

Now as far as what would I like? That list keeps evolving, but likely well more than I could ever be actually proficient with.

Last edited:

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Does anyone in this thread have hands-on experience with a 9.3x62mm or a .35 Whelen?

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only benefit I see from the Nosler family of cartridges is magnum performance without the belt. If I could get a .338WM cartridge, minus the belt, it would be about perfect for my needs/wishes. I still may end up with a .338 RCM, but I honestly don't like the short, squat cartridges. For my abilities/needs, a bit longer action is nether a detriment to my ability to carry it, nor to its accuracy potential. Plus the longer cartridges, with modest necks and shoulders, feed smooth as silk. The shorties can be a PITA. I don't plan on needing more than one round in the field, but knowing that I can with no fuss or drama is a plus, (another reason that the .30-06 family shines). Unless I do end up with a WM, the only belted cartridge(s) I'll ever have will be a .300 H&H or a .375 H&H, simply because I like them and they work. I honestly see no point for a bolt action cartridge to have a belt. Hell, even a .416 Rigby doesn't have a belt.

Just like saws, I see all sorts of "if I could only have 1, 2, 3, etc rifles they'd be "X". You couldn't go wrong with an -06 cased or .308 family cartridge. While I dearly love my .243, if I could only have two, they'd likely be a 6.5 Something (likely -284) and either a .338 WM or a .35 Whelen. A strong argument could be made for the .22LR or .22 Mag, but for practical purposes, there's nothing in the vast majority of the world I couldn't do with those two.

Now as far as what would I like? That list keeps evolving, but likely well more than I could ever be actually proficient with.

Do you reload?, I assume you do because you mentioned the belt.

If so, there is a trick to ignore the belt.

Then the belt doesn’t “mean” anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Jon1212 Pro

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I do, and likely wouldnt have 2 rifles of the same caliber so it's less of a problem, I just think that they're stupid. Eventually you'll have to full-length re-size them, vs neck sizing them. I just don't know what mileage to expect, to know whether work-hardening and annealing would come into play.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The case separating in the chamber is my only worry with belted cartridges. I like the less over bore cartridges since I like to shoot 5 and 10 round strings. I could see getting 300 rounds from a hot round like a 28 Nosler[emoji849]

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The case separating in the chamber is my only worry with belted cartridges. I like the less over bore cartridges since I like to shoot 5 and 10 round strings. I could see getting 300 rounds from a hot round like a 28 Nosler[emoji849]
Having owned an old .303 Enfield Jungle Carbine before that was butchered ("Sporterized"). Depending on how war the loads were, half-throttle usually got 4-5 firings before the case separation. Closer to max was 2-3. It became common enough that I'd just cycle the bolt again to extract the old casing with a fresh round, then discard the remnants of the separated casing... Reliable repeat shots were questionable after 2 loadings period. I guess we'll see what happens.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm not sure that the head-spacing was right on, but Enfields, being a rear locking bolt, aren't generally known for brass longevity. As a fire a casing once and eject, they were a fabulous battle rifle, but for the reloader, not so much.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As I remember, the Enfield uses interchangeable bolt heads for field expedient headspacing. As you said, alot of armorers probably figured that if it didn't blow up or malfunction, good enough.

Last edited:

Cobby08

I’m a face down ass up guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am on the 6.5 Creedmoor bandwagon. I won one in a Ruger American predator with a burris 4-14x42 on it and so far I'm wicked impressed. I just got some reloads that I have not had a chance to shoot yet but I was extremely impressed with Hornady's Precision Hunters in the 143gn. The reloads are ELD-X 143gn with Hodgdon's unicorn dust. I want to say 42gn.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
People are going nuts over the ELDX slugs, some even use the match version for big game. What model Burris is on it?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ELD seem way more forgiving loading vs the Berger hybrids in my Savage.

Cobby08

I’m a face down ass up guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
People are going nuts over the ELDX slugs, some even use the match version for big game. What model Burris is on it?
I tried the match version (ELD) and the gun like the ELD-X better. My burris is a Fullfield II as well. I had a fullfield II 3-9 on my .270 so I figured get a little bigger for this one.

460 magnum

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I am on the 6.5 Creedmoor bandwagon. I won one in a Ruger American predator with a burris 4-14x42 on it and so far I'm wicked impressed. I just got some reloads that I have not had a chance to shoot yet but I was extremely impressed with Hornady's Precision Hunters in the 143gn. The reloads are ELD-X 143gn with Hodgdon's unicorn dust. I want to say 42gn.

I have the same gun really like it for the price of them. mine has a weaver on top of it I cant think of the power right now.