Remember when..........

John Wargo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Remember when hotrod meant a Chevelle or Camaro or Mustang or GTO? To me nothing replaces cubic inches and the big Holley parked on top of a high rise manifold. Not into computer chips and cars that sound like kazoos. Even if they are fast. I'm really starting to sound like my dad now.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember when gas was 50 cents a gallon, cigarettes 50 cents a pack, a shorty bottle of beer was 35 cents, a case of Point beer was $3.00 as long as you brought back an empty for deposit.
My first car was a Charger and after buying tires and paying insurance every month and all the stuff above, I didn't hardly have enough left to go sniffin'.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also remember when a couple dozen minnows and a few poles was entertainment on a Friday night. Didn't need Google to tell me to go outside
If you would have said "Google" out loud, Sister Mary Whatever would have broke her pointer on your butt AND sent you to see Sister Superior.

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Remember when that dude talked *s-word about how bad his car was and how violent it left the start, wheels up every time. Well, when we got tired of your BS "talk"and bolted the slicks on it story time was over. So sad, boo hoo.
Most of that junk never went twelves let alone all that ten and eleven second *s-word they were spewing. Still makes me chuckle.
Now your talking, I had a pro street Corvette many,many snows ago. I approached a fellow that drove a nice 66fairlane w 427and 2-4's 28/10 slick , I was confident enough to not swap to slicks(was a pain to get the really big pro street Mickey Thompsons off) I was fairly new in this car, just changed from 5:13 to 4:56 rear ratio. Needless to say I blew out those big MT's and couldn't ever get past his door, the last 1/8 mi I really wished the N2O in the passenger seat would have been installed before I bit all that off...

It was a fast Ford, and I was barely 21 and learned a lesson that day...
And my car was a confirmed 10.99 almost 125mph car(without N2O), or like that day a 12sec almost 120mph if you drove it like I did that day, with excessive tire smoke.

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I remember when the High School had a smoking area outside the lunchroom! And you only had to be 18 to buy beer, luckily for me none of those habits stuck! I remember saying when cigarettes were a dollar a pack, that I couldn't understand how anyone could spend that on em,
it is beyond me...

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember gas wars and paying $.19 a gallon.

Yep, yer a bit older than me. I put gas in a milk jug and pushed my mower from street to street. Those were good days. I was happy to get a grilled cheese and a bottle coke at the diner at the close of the day (man was I big-timing it!).

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Remember when Sunday night meant the world of Disney, Ed Sullivan, Red Skelton and Jackie Gleason shoes were on. The only day you got to watch TV.
Waiting for the department store Christmas catalogs.
Getting sent back to the barber because there was no way your mom would let you look like the Beatles.
Being 15 and bringung your "new" surplus rifle home on the bus and no one blinked.
Pulling up a couch and setting a mattress on fire to shoot rats at the local dump.
Tobogganing, playing cops and robbers, looking a every tree to see if was a good climber and squishing pennies on the railroad tracks and getting chased by the railway cops.
Being kicked put of the house to get fresh air at every opportunity.

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
19.9 cents a gallon was gas when I started driving.

This then eleven year old collected pop & beer bottles for the deposit at the grocery. Took my cash next door to the hardware store and bought gallery .22 rounds at 1 cent each out of a bulk container. No adult except the clerk present.

And, by god, if I caused any damage with that Remington, my father would skin me live.

John Wargo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember heading to the corner market with a note in hand, to purchase cigarettes for my mom. Lol
We didn't even need a note to get them for my dad.. He was friends with the family that owned the store.

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Accompanied my older cousin (12) to the neighborhood tavern to get a dime bucket of beer for my uncle.

Held a quart and saved the deposit on the quart bottles available then. Mid ‘50s

Last edited: