Redmax GZ500 (husqvarna 450)

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn, I'm running out of ideas. Perhaps it may be the flywheel key being sheared and the engine is running with a retarded spark advance. However, I would have thought with slowly opening the throttle you could get the revs up. May have to check it though.

I hate these kind of problems, when I finally do find the problem it is often something very obvious and insulting to my intelligence...

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
7:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn, I'm running out of ideas. Perhaps it may be the flywheel key being sheared and the engine is running with a retarded spark advance. However, I would have thought with slowly opening the throttle you could get the revs up. May have to check it though.

I hate these kind of problems, when I finally do find the problem it is often something very obvious and insulting to my intelligence...
I brought up the timing very early on. Got one like that the shop couldn't figure out.

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it was mine, I would find TDC and mark it on the flywheel, then throw a timing light on it to verify the timing is what it should be.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Flywheel key is fine, I've checked it again today. I can't check timing with a timing light because I don't have one. I wonder though what the magnet relation would be to the coil at tdc?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

CJ Brown

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Flywheel key is fine, I've checked it again today. I can't check timing with a timing light because I don't have one. I wonder though what the magnet relation would be to the coil at tdc?

Not sure about the magnet position but most coils have variable timing built into them nowadays so I think just going by the magnet position might not work. Also, you could have a defective coil so that would make the magnet position irrelevant. The saw sounds like it is hammering away like it has too much advance but that is just one guys opinion and I could be way off track. Maybe someone close to you has a timing light?

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure about the magnet position but most coils have variable timing built into them nowadays so I think just going by the magnet position might not work. Also, you could have a defective coil so that would make the magnet position irrelevant. The saw sounds like it is hammering away like it has too much advance but that is just one guys opinion and I could be way off track. Maybe someone close to you has a timing light?
I'll make some calls tomorrow and see if I can get a light. It is a brand new oem coil and it did actually start with this coil,which is an improvement but that doesn't mean it's not messed up in another way.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know if the 450 coil has a retard on starting, but if it does then perhaps when it hits, say 3,000 to advance the spark it craps out. Never ran into the problem so I don't even know if it happens.

A timing light should be able to tell you. If you've got a spark at idle and then loose it as the revs build, then you have likely found your problem.

CJ Brown

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you get a timing light, mark tdc on your flywheel and a corresponding mark on the crankcase. Then rotate the flywheel backwards 30 degrees and put another mark on the crankcase. When the saw is running, the flywheel mark should be somewhere close to the 30 degree mark when viewed with the timing light.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fuel system and coil is replaced.. No leaks. What can make it run like crap...?
Flywheel seems to be the only suspect lol..
Or the coil wire to the spark plug?!.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fuel system and coil is replaced.. No leaks. What can make it run like crap...?
Flywheel seems to be the only suspect lol..
Or the coil wire to the spark plug?!.
That's what I'm thinking myself, but I'm gonna get another oem coil just for the fact this coil did actually make the saw run (unlike the coil that it replaced),I'm hoping I just got a somewhat bad coil. Cant replace just the wire and boot on these coils as it's all one piece.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's what I'm thinking myself, but I'm gonna get another oem coil just for the fact this coil did actually make the saw run (unlike the coil that it replaced),I'm hoping I just got a somewhat bad coil. Cant replace just the wire and boot on these coils as it's all one piece.

And don't connect the off switch wire to the coil to rule out wiring possibility..

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I finally received the OEM coil from ereplacement parts and installed it this afternoon saw still does the exact same thing it was doing before.

I'm lost idk what to do now.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went back to your first post -

Came in half running. would run ok but as soon as I let off throttle it would instantly die

I know you rebuilt the carb and also put on a second carb, but that symptom sounds like what happens when the pump diaphragm isn't working. You can start a saw without the diaphragm, but it will die when it drops back to idle.

Perhaps the impulse line is clogged/leaking?

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went back to your first post -

I know you rebuilt the carb and also put on a second carb, but that symptom sounds like what happens when the pump diaphragm isn't working. You can start a saw without the diaphragm, but it will die when it drops back to idle.

Perhaps the impulse line is clogged/leaking?
I thought about the impulse this afternoon myself, wondering if it might be stopped up. Only thing is this saw has like a rubber manifold type intake all in one type deal. Only way I've found to get it off is to remove the cylinder.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a way to run a 'pipe brush' through it?

Or, maybe blow some air through it. I would bring the piston up to TDC to try that first. With the crankcase open to the intake port you would be less likely to mess up some seals.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a way to run a 'pipe brush' through it?

Or, maybe blow some air through it. I would bring the piston up to TDC to try that first. With the crankcase open to the intake port you would be less likely to mess up some seals.
Good thought ,Iv already walked away from it for today, got seriously aggravated with it again. I'll give it a shot tomorrow afternoon or the weekend, thanks for your time and help my friend

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I've 'walked away' from a few mechanical jobs myself. Sometimes you see some blokes that flip out and do something 'in retribution' - as if the saw could actually understand the stupid temper tantrum.

Sometimes I find that my sub-conscious is trying to tell me something and I don't hear it until 3AM in the morning when it can finally bubble up through all the noise - "Ding!"

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Impulse is clean and clear, pressure and vacuum tests are perfect, tried starting in the dark to see if there was an short somewhere, didn't see anything ,all lines are good. I don't know, I'm at a lose and looks like I'll be taking a lose on this one.

What's the chances of a flywheel being/or going bad?

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let me look around. Might be able to send you a 450 to compare to and swap parts around.

Let you know tomorrow afternoon.

Steven

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let me look around. Might be able to send you a 450 to compare to and swap parts around.

Let you know tomorrow afternoon.

Steven
That would be awesome bud thanks