srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
1:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And that's why we have guys like that around...I did not know that about the 395 piston.

Being that his exhaust seems a little higher than expected, does that mean the 395 piston has different pin-crown height too? Or maybe shorter overall??

Same crown height, just a different skirt length and ring locating pin position.

redlinefever

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok if I use this piston with a intake at 76 that only give me 4 degrees to play with so with a degree being .010 that gives me .040 to play with squish at .034 and I want it at .020 so that means I’ll only take .026 out of the chamber and take .040 off of the base or I could cut a .026 pop up. Correct me if I’m wrong on my thinking

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok if I use this piston with a intake at 76 that only give me 4 degrees to play with so with a degree being .010 that gives me .040 to play with squish at .034 and I want it at .020 so that means I’ll only take .026 out of the chamber and take .040 off of the base or I could cut a .026 pop up. Correct me if I’m wrong on my thinking

You're close, but that was an estimate for the transfer ports. For the intake port around 76 (152 duration) 0.010" is 1.5 duration, or 0.75 opening.

So if you want the intake timing at 80 (160 dur) you can drop the cylinder 0.053", which means for 0.020" squish you can take 0.039" out of the squish.

And since I was looking at my excel sheets to calculate this stuff I looked up the difference between the pistons. The 395 piston is 1.89" tall, while the 394 piston is 1.93" tall. So the 394 skirt is 0.040" longer.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the 394....there *can* be issues with dropping the jug too far. The intake block is rigid and you may need to trim the air horn posts so the whole thing doesn't tend to tilt. Also...check flywheel clearance. Also....the decomp gets stuck in the top cover so you'll need to ream out the top cover to accommodate the lower decomp. Also....the ears on the jug can get thin....which is why I often prefer to mill the case. Also....the jug bottom lip will sit lower in the case and may interfere with the seating of the jug.

Lots of stuff to consider. :)

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the 394....there *can* be issues with dropping the jug too far. The intake block is rigid and you may need to trim the air horn posts so the whole thing doesn't tend to tilt. Also...check flywheel clearance. Also....the decomp gets stuck in the top cover so you'll need to ream out the top cover to accommodate the lower decomp. Also....the ears on the jug can get thin....which is why I often prefer to mill the case. Also....the jug bottom lip will sit lower in the case and may interfere with the seating of the jug.

Good post. Lots of stuff that can lead to catastrophe if overlooked.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well...lots of picky stuff. Gotta know what u r doing and take the time to get the details. Takes me a very long time to port these saws and get them built proper.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well...lots of picky stuff. Gotta know what u r doing and take the time to get the details. Takes me a very long time to port these saws and get them built proper.
The devil is in the details with many things and saws are certainly no exception. It’s always appreciated when these details are brought up before a problem occurs. Just another reason this forum is a great place to learn.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh....and in order to make room...the intake baffle needs to be trimmed to sit lower to allow the intake block to sit lower. ....as does the carb base to accommodate the baffle sitting lower.

redlinefever

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Well Matt one problem I won’t have to worry with is the decomp I plug all of mine anyways !! Figured I would have to mod the intake side some thanks for all the info !!this is my first husky so it’s slow going

redlinefever

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also anyone gone keyless on these and never had any issues? This one has a 395 flywheel and crank and with the 395 it has a built in key which there wasn’t much left but now there isn’t anything just going to lap it with a little diamond paste and lock it down

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Grind into where the key was. Make a new keyway. Use some 12awg Romex copper for a key. Done it plenty and that tip is on my channel somewhere lol.

No way I would go keyless.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also anyone gone keyless on these and never had any issues? This one has a 395 flywheel and crank and with the 395 it has a built in key which there wasn’t much left but now there isn’t anything just going to lap it with a little diamond paste and lock it down
I’ve got a few that don’t have a keyway

You also have 395 case halves ?