Redback 18", 120V Lithium, Cordless (Battery) Chainsaw

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
6:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently received a Redback 120 volt, battery powered chainsaw to evaluate.

IMG_0221.jpg

This saw is shown in this video:

Redback shares the same parent company as Dirty Hand Tools, better known for their log splitters in these forums, and also has a line of 40V O*P*E.

Manufacturer specs:
Power: Brushless motor
Battery: 120V Li-ion - 2 amp hour (240 watt hrs) or 3 amp hour (360 watt hours)
Bar: 18"
Chain: 3/8" low profile, .050 gauge, 61 drive links, semi-chisel, low kickback
Chain Speed: 12 m/s (39 feet/second)
Weight: 16.3 pounds with bar, chain, oil, etc.
MSRP: $299
Warranty: 5 years

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Initial Impressions

The saw is well finished, and appears to be well made. It came packed in a box, along with a 2Ah battery, rapid charger, guide bar, and chain. The manuals that came with it are fairly brief, but clear to read.

IMG_0214.jpg
IMG_0215.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg
IMG_0217.jpg

Pretty easy to set up: install the guide bar and chain, add some bar and chain oil, pop the battery in place, and press the trigger. Like many other saws in this product category, the saw features a tool-less chain tensioner, although, this one is a bit different, with a 'shaft drive' design.

IMG_0218.jpg

I like the rubberized handles. Sound level was about the same as a large, electric drill. No noticeable vibration.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Initial Impressions - Continued

The saw has a lot of power: It cut through everything I asked it to, ranging from 2", mixed, dry hardwoods, up to 12" freshly cut ash, in a pile set aside for this evaluation. I tried to intentionally bog it down, but had to lean on it hard to get it to slow down even a little bit - even gas saws would do this.
IMG_0223.jpg
IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg
IMG_0229.jpg
Note: all of the wood shown in these photos was cut using only about half of the 2Ah battery (based on the LED indicators). Based these limited, initial cuts. I look forward to trying it out in more cutting situations. I hope to try it out in some other types of cutting situations, and will bring it to local GTG, etc., for others to try.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some Details

This saw weighs in at 16+ pounds; the 120V, 2Ah battery is 4 pounds of that by itself. Not an issue when bucking, where the weight is your friend, but will have to see if it is noticeable when felling or limbing.

IMG_0212.jpg

The seal around the oil discharge hole protrudes a bit, and at first, makes it seem like the bar is not seating properly. But once the cover is placed and tightened with the hand screw, the bar sungs securely in place, with no leakage of oil.

I like the idea of a rapid charger; these typically incorporate some type of fan to avoid overheating. This charger can also be wall mounted, and the battery latches in place to park securely. Large indicator light on the charger is easy to see.

The chain brake is described as being both electric and mechanical. I was a little concerned at first, because I could move the chain by hand (power off) with the chain brake engaged - what I call a 'static test'. But engaging the brake at full speed ('dynamic test') brought the chain to an immediate stop.

I like the metal bucking dogs, but had to tilt the nose of the saw down considerably for them to engage at first. Eventually, I learned to engage just the lowest spike, which would allow me to rock the bar into the cut, if desired.

Cordless saws have progressed by leaps over the past few years; this 120V saw appears to set a bar above the 36/40V saws. Can't wait to see where it goes!

IMG_0236.jpg

Philbert

Iron.and.bark

Eats trees & drinks dinosaur juice
Local time
7:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you! Really enjoyed reading it.

Couple off quick questions. How does the construction of the saw feel? For example over here we have a victor model that is based on the Briggs Battery system. Overly bulky and horrible plastic construction.

2ndly, have you compared it to either offerings from husky or stihl?

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
7:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great write up Philbert. Wonder when we'll see an electric saw for racing. Tech is there, the guys have been crazy fast in the 1/4 for a long time now.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How does the construction of the saw feel? . . . over here we have a victor model that is based on the Briggs Battery system . . .
Redback should be available in Australia. Construction feels like a well finished, higher end consumer saw.

First impressions are positive; how well it holds up remains to be seen. Might hold up for some commercial use if not abused.
2ndly, have you compared it to either offerings from husky or stihl?
I have not compared it side-by-side with any other saws: 1, I don't have access to a full range of other cordless saws; and 2, I am not sure that comparing a 120V saw against a 40V saw would be an 'apples-to-apples' comparison.

Might be opportunities to do some of this at some GTGs.

Philbert

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok Phil. We got the specs, pros, cons. Now we need the vid of it in action on that ash big and small.
We like vids

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now we need the vid of it in action on that ash big and small. We like vids
Sorry, not much of a vid guy (and used up that big piece of ash). Have to watch that YouTube video they produced, or catch me at a GTG!

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bigger Test

A neighbor had a large, silver maple limb come down in a storm:
IMG_0240.jpg

Cut up to about 18" diameter, green ('live') wood. I was able to bog down the saw a bit if I leaned on it in this wood, instead of letting it do the work.
IMG_0269.jpg

Took a sharpening break. A bit hard to pull the chain around the bar to sharpen, even with the chain brake 'off' (battery removed for safety). Had to loosen it up quite a bit to sharpen, then re-tension after.
IMG_0271.jpg

Cut about a face cord (1/3 of a cord) on the 2 Amp battery. Unfortunately, it ran out of juice when I had about 2 more cuts left, so I had to finish off with my 40V saw. Having a spare battery is a key issue for any battery powered saw. Using them side-by-side, the 120V saw clearly had more power, but my 40V saw had the batteries to finish!
IMG_0273.jpg

Oh yeah, I was also doing some more evaluations of the magnetic measuring sticks (http://opeforum.com/threads/firewood-measuring-sticks.5851/)
A few more cuts made next door with the same 2A battery:
IMG_0267.jpg

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got Some Tree Service Guys to Try It

My neighbor wanted a professional tree service to put the limb (post above) on the ground for liability reasons (fences, power lines, garage, etc.). The crew who showed up did a good job, but 'cheated': they had 3 guys and about a quarter million dollars more equipment than I have (bucket trucks, real ropes, Portawraps, etc).

But letting me cut up the limbs saved my neighbor some money, let me test the 120V saw, and another neighbor is going to take the firewood. I did get a couple of the tree service guys to try the Redback, based primarily on the novelty of a 120V battery saw. They were both generally impressed with the power, and how easy it starts. I think that one guy confused the slower cutting speed with a having a dull chain, instead of realizing that the battery saws have a slower chain speed than most gas saws. Got the 'might be OK for homeowners' comment, even though I watched one crew member flood out his top handled STIHL, and take it back to the truck to swap it for a different saw!

IMG_0259.jpg IMG_0261.jpg

Philbert

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice. I can't wait to try that saw. How long does it take to charge now that the battery has some cycles on it?

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This saw weighs over 16 pounds? I asked my Husky 353 and my Stihl 026 PRO about this and they said that they are not jealous. Both handle an 18" bar. When they run out of fuel, they both can get going in a minute or so with a fresh tank of fuel that costs me about a quarter or so.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Took It To A GTG

Clean up day at the Interfaith firewood ministry - regular project for many MN / WI forum members. Could not 'compete' for speed with the larger gas saws, but able to get in a lot of limbing, and some bucking and felling, if I ran ahead of the other guys and got there first! Mostly red oak. Had about 4 guys try it; at least one had never used any cordless saw before.

IMG_0329.jpg IMG_0333.jpg IMG_0337.jpg IMG_0338.jpg

Philbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the idea of a Hi-Voltage battery powered chainsaw!

I have good memories of my corded AC powered chainsaw, slow but lots of torque.

The few low voltage battery powered power tools I used so far all lack stamina, they'd just fall flat on their nose under full load.
Close to stalling out while drilling steel the cordless Makita drills at work manage a few minutes per charge at best, 14.4 Volt 1300mAh LiIon.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that all of these high capacity batteries should come in some type of plastic sleeve, to protect the terminals against moisture, accidental contact, etc. The corrugated boxes only hold up for a short time, even if taped.

For another brand of cordless OPE I found one brand of plastic, quart, motor oil containers that fit great. So far, for these 120V batteries, Ocean Spray is your friend!

IMG_0355.JPG

Will have to take it to the grocery store next time . . . (Maybe olive oil?).

Philbert

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think that all of these high capacity batteries should come in some type of plastic sleeve, to protect the terminals against moisture, accidental contact, etc. The corrugated boxes only hold up for a short time, even if taped.

For another brand of cordless OPE I found one brand of plastic, quart, motor oil containers that fit great. So far, for these 120V batteries, Ocean Spray is your friend!

View attachment 75812

Will have to take it to the grocery store next time . . . (Maybe olive oil?).

Philbert
I suggest electrical grease for the contacts. I've used it on my DC connectors chit works great