Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
11:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's gazillions of little four strokes running aluminum bores. No idea the metallurgy involved other than they are pretty much designed to last a couple hundred hours before replacement. You could knurl the piston skirts so as to hold some more oil then hand fit them to the bore, and I second the cheap rings. My guess is it will run for a while OK, the rpm is what is going to kill it sooner as it's just a matter of how many times can the rings scrape up and down before compression is lost. Kinda like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop? Interesting test though, look forward to see what happens.
Will be interesting to see how the "oil" comes into play 2 stroke vs 4 stroke.

Have heard extra "silica" in the alum, to coated pistons. Iron rings steel rings chrome rings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Indeed :)

I ain't just napping over here.
f8a38f737cbf5dd9f7457b24d69e7872.jpg
d340bbc31232535214d59cddea717c06.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag

EvilRoySlade

What’s my line?
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You see less static ring pressure beneficial?

I still have to try the iron sleeve first. And no reason for a 2 piece head.

Less pressure, pretty much assures less wear. I might even try to use rings with a chamfer, it could help maintain an oil layer. I’d also go very fine on the surface then be extremely precise with honing it. Consistent crosshatch flushed with lubricant if you can.

Manofstihl661

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a thought I had the other day, and bear in mind I am a rookie trying to learn small engines for fun. Has anyone tried Titanium Nitride? I know it's been used with food results in firearms as well as other engines. I couldn't find anything with it being used in a chainsaw.

If this is a stupid thought or idea that's fine I'm just curious and was wondering if y'all could shed some light.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a thought I had the other day, and bear in mind I am a rookie trying to learn small engines for fun. Has anyone tried Titanium Nitride? I know it's been used with food results in firearms as well as other engines. I couldn't find anything with it being used in a chainsaw.

If this is a stupid thought or idea that's fine I'm just curious and was wondering if y'all could shed some light.
I’ve seen that used in printing press applications and motorcycle manufactures use it on some fork tubes for the reduction in stiction. Good thought. I’ve no idea on any temp restrictions and I know it isn’t cheap.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With no plating? I’m thinking less than a minute. The iron ring is going to scrape the cylinder wall of bare aluminum and widen the whole bore. Very quickly, one of two things will happen: the bore will widen so much, the ring gap will increase to the point that you’ll get blow by and there isn’t a lot of compression, and you’ll gradually lose power, or the ring will pop out of the groove and catch in a port, slam the piston to a stop, and break the piston, maybe the rod, maybe more.

Consider that this guy used a ring to cut the squish band on the uncoated aluminum.

SIXGUN five minute mandrel
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...SIXGUN-five-minute-mandrel.5439/&share_type=t

Generally 2.5 thou is near the end of the service limit. 3 thou clearance and it’s time to replace. Even red armor isn’t some magic bullet.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Joe,

I bet not long. The rings will chew it up.

Would you consider electroplating the bore with nickel? I know it’s not NikaSil, but it’s cheap to get Nickle salts and a piece of pure and try it with an old car battery.

Manofstihl661

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve seen that used in printing press applications and motorcycle manufactures use it on some fork tubes for the reduction in stiction. Good thought. I’ve no idea on any temp restrictions and I know it isn’t cheap.

I figured price would of course factor in but I know I’d be interested to see how it would hold up as a trial

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Test
Red Armor 40:1
Bare bore 50mm
Plain uncoated piston
.0025" clearance
Iron ring
14k max rpm with good tune.

How long will it last?

Not even start?

Almost get it tuned?

1st cut?

Half tank?

Till something else breaks first?

Genuinely interested.

Any suggestions on bore finish? 3,4,500 grit?

How much clearance becomes too much?
Did you run it yet?