Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
12:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it's the lighting. Look at the top pic. It's all black, rather than seeing wash marks. Probably a tad lean, actually (or 50:1 vs 32:1 that were accustomed to seeing on here). But it looks like it leaves lots on the piston

I seriously doubt that, saw was running VERY well when it came in and the plug was a nice Coco brown.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have seen a gasoline engine run fine on diesel it was an accident little cuz filled gas tractor w diesel it started on the gas and continued to burn the diesel smoked like hell but ran we obviously shut it down once we figured out what had happened So as for needing the 400 psi that would be under a combustion scenario I'd assume after a cylinder is hot the spark can light it. Doubt a saw would burn it though Prolly a wee bit in the tank would burn I'd avoid the hell out it though

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been using the Stihl Ultra for a while now. I have been reading about the Ultra leaving behind lots if deposits and have decided to switch oils. Seeing how this has cleaned up pistons (I checked the web site too) I think I have found my new oil. I have been running everything 50:1 for a while now, but I am considering the move to 32:1. I guess I would need to buy a quart or gallon size to do that though...
Mix a 2.5 gal mix bottle with 2 gallons of gas....plenty of oil with red armor. I really like it.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
9:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Time to remove "mechanic" from your user name me thinks. :facepalm:
I could, but both my boss's say I'm a darn good mechanic and I'm the only mechanic that has never had a machine come back with over looked issues or problems that were my fault. So why don't you shut up and type something positive for a change. lol

Local time
11:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could, but both my boss's say I'm a darn good mechanic and I'm the only mechanic that has never had a machine come back with over looked issues or problems that were my fault. So why don't you shut up and type something positive for a change. lol

I tend to have fun with the mechanics at our local saw shops. I like when i ask for 84dl of 36 RS and they ask me what saw I need it for. Somehow does not surprise me that you wouldn't know how oil/gas mixtures work.

I plan to give red armor a shot, so far have had good luck with husky xp oil and dolmar synthetic. Found a place a few miles from home that sells red armor and a guy I know from north carolina swears by it so we'll give it a go. 2.5 gal mix bottle to 2 gal of gas as always.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Ok, Im positive you should consider leaving "mechanic" but add "apprentice". Is that positive enough? lol

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok, Im positive you should consider leaving "mechanic" but add "apprentice". Is that positive enough? lol
Not quite. lol Just cause I didn't know ratios doesn't not make me a mechanic. And for your info I'm completely restoring a 50 year old truck by myself as well. So....maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge buddy. I'd be happy to post pictures of the work I have done on it so you can see I'm not as stupid as you think. lol

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I tend to have fun with the mechanics at our local saw shops. I like when i ask for 84dl of 36 RS and they ask me what saw I need it for. Somehow does not surprise me that you wouldn't know how oil/gas mixtures work.

I plan to give red armor a shot, so far have had good luck with husky xp oil and dolmar synthetic. Found a place a few miles from home that sells red armor and a guy I know from north carolina swears by it so we'll give it a go. 2.5 gal mix bottle to 2 gal of gas as always.
lol. I've cut chains for many customers....and normally they're always telling me..."I need a chain for my saw." I ask, "What type of saw?" They say, "A Stihl saw with like a 20 inch bar." I ask, "MS290?" "Yeah, I think so." It's amazing how many people don't even remember what saw they have. lol But I like the customers who give me a model and bar length cause cutting or grabbing a chain is easy then.

Local time
11:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
lol. I've cut chains for many customers....and normally they're always telling me..."I need a chain for my saw." I ask, "What type of saw?" They say, "A Stihl saw with like a 20 inch bar." I ask, "MS290?" "Yeah, I think so." It's amazing how many people don't even remember what saw they have. lol But I like the customers who give me a model and bar length cause cutting or grabbing a chain is easy then.

One would think that a guy that walks in and say's i need 84 dl of 36 RS that it would be a simple process. Or at my other spot they sell oregon... so it's 84dl of 75lgx. The 75LGX part nominates ga and pitch... correct? Or it should be easy enough for the guy to figure out what to do. Anymore when they ask what saw i respond back with poulan wild thing...