Recently purchased a Husqvarna C83 100' Roll

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone here spun or sharpened a loop of C83? First loop I Spun ruined the anvil on my spinner. I thought OK it's well used, I'll order a fresh one. OEM anvil shows up and I can hear the grinding noise again so I stop before I ruin another. I can only assume that because the rivets are a touch smaller than it's counterparts, Husky made it out of a harder alloy. Reached out to my Husqvarna rep and he was useless. I've been using some left over EXL straps and havent had an issue. This morning I decided to spin a 28" loop and convert it to square. First side goes fine. Then I start on the right side cutters. I get a few done and I go through a series of over hardened cutters. It felt like running the file over glass, if that makes sense. Ruined two Pferd and one save edge double bevel file. Just wiped the teeth off the files trying to finish the loop so I put it to the side and I'll probably just put it on the grinder and put it back to round ground.

I'm more interested in the straps and anvil feed back. I should have put this under "just chains" but this thread gets more traffic.

The spinner/breaker combo I have is an older Oregon made in Italy. Efco I assume. It runs the stubby old style anvil.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
4:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been running some loops of the C85 .058 version and haven't had any issues with the cutters, Rich. I have one loop I made into a play chain that was square filed.

Can't help with spinning up the loops. All of mine are pre-spun loops that I talked my dealer out of. I have to pick up parts on Monday, I'll ask what the guys here have seen on these new chains.

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
7:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve only spun one loop out of the 100’ C83 that I have and I noticed the exact same thing. I found it much more difficult to spin then my 33RS chain. I don’t believe I ruined the anvil but to be honest I haven’t looked at it since I spun it.

I’m planning on spinning a couple more chains in a couple days for a course I’m teaching next week, I’ll let you know how it turns out.

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sent a text to my Husky rep saying I didn't want to bother him over the weekend and to call me monday AM. Hopefully he can put me in touch with someone that is fluent in this new chain. Don't get me wrong, the chain cuts like a m'fer. I've only handled it a couple of times and not drawn a little blood. It's crazy sharp from the factory. Just pin pricks. It doesn't take much to break the skin with this chain. Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sent a text to my Husky rep saying I didn't want to bother him over the weekend and to call me monday AM. Hopefully he can put me in touch with someone that is fluent in this new chain. Don't get me wrong, the chain cuts like a m'fer. I've only handled it a couple of times and not drawn a little blood. It's crazy sharp from the factory. Just pin pricks. It doesn't take much to break the skin with this chain. Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming

Rich, any updates on this???

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As long as I use some high grade oil, I can spin loops and not damage the anvil. The Amsoil small engine 10W-30, seems to be more resistant than other conventional lubricants. I believe it’s the higher zinc content. Dunno

as far as filing, I haven’t seen the over hardened cutter issue like I had in the first batch. I’ve been through a couple of rolls. One thing is still consistent, it cuts like a m’fer. No lie

IMHO it has to be the finest chain on the market. The chassis is slick as a minnow. Cutters are ground to a polished finish.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's interesting that this comes up now, I've been considering picking up an 84 driver loop and doing a little 84 driver chain shootout... @redlight066 would you be interested in sailing a loop? Understood ifn ya don't, the local place is just a little rapey on chain price.

Master Bud II

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As long as I use some high grade oil, I can spin loops and not damage the anvil. The Amsoil small engine 10W-30, seems to be more resistant than other conventional lubricants. I believe it’s the higher zinc content. Dunno

as far as filing, I haven’t seen the over hardened cutter issue like I had in the first batch. I’ve been through a couple of rolls. One thing is still consistent, it cuts like a m’fer. No lie

IMHO it has to be the finest chain on the market. The chassis is slick as a minnow. Cutters are ground to a polished finish.

Where Are you Buying the Rolls of C-83 I Haven't been able to Locate Any ??? I'm Wanting to Completely change the This Cutter, I've Bought several loops from HL Supply and Love this chain !!! Now if they Would Make It in .404 ...

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's interesting that this comes up now, I've been considering picking up an 84 driver loop and doing a little 84 driver chain shootout... @redlight066 would you be interested in sailing a loop? Understood ifn ya don't, the local place is just a little rapey on chain price.
Gotcha covered. PM me an address

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where Are you Buying the Rolls of C-83 I Haven't been able to Locate Any ??? I'm Wanting to Completely change the This Cutter, I've Bought several loops from HL Supply and Love this chain !!! Now if they Would Make It in .404 ...
The tree service I work at part time has an Arborist dealer account. It's a non-servicing dealership, Husqvarna requires a minimum spend annually to maintain dealer status. They allow me to order parts as needed or we can put an order in together if we can't make a minimum order to qualify for free shipping. Works out great for both of us.

The parts distribution warehouse for this area is just outside of Columbia, about 100 miles away. As long as I/we order before 11ish, it's usually delivered next day via standard FedEx ground service.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The tree service I work at part time has an Arborist dealer account. It's a non-servicing dealership, Husqvarna requires a minimum spend annually to maintain dealer status. They allow me to order parts as needed or we can put an order in together if we can't make a minimum order to qualify for free shipping. Works out great for both of us.

The parts distribution warehouse for this area is just outside of Columbia, about 100 miles away. As long as I/we order before 11ish, it's usually delivered next day via standard FedEx ground service.
I wish the mail worked that fast here. When I order from the stihl dealer they take a week... even though the distributor is in state... they won’t even let us pick up parts from the distributor warehouse lol.

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I be willing to buy a loop also
You slackers cut anything yet