Received Asian MS440 Big Bore Triplets Today

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The choke shutter sticking inside the carb (with the AM carbs). Have not figured out why the control lever will not put the choke on with the OEM carb.

Everything works fine with both carbs till I install the plastic piece and flange (and can't see what is going on).
I bad the same problem I changed the control switch with a OEM one.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 2 of them working with just reducing the size of that choke plate a bit, and will likely do the 3rd tomorrow.

Speaking of building #3 I noted a problem that was not on the other two saws: The case pins were very loose (both fell right out) and there is not stop on the clutch side of the case, so it can eat your clutch while you are running it ( this happened on other folks 660s).

I peened the end of the hole with a nail set so the pin can not slide through. Not sure if that was the best solution, but it worked.

Also, the crank flywheel key was cut differently on this saw. It just swallowed my standard keys (that I used on the other two saws) like it was sheared off. Had to use the slightly larger key that came with the saw, but that had to be thinned a bit to fit in the keyway.

I also used a chain adjuster kit from HL Supply. Cheap enough, and fits right in. Saves a lot of work. You just need to use the supplied O ring, two plastic parts, and screw from the Farmertech package. As you can see, the adjuster gear from HL is smaller diameter but taller, so it fits right in and does not need a shim.

Attachments

• IMG_20180701_190355611.jpg
    IMG_20180701_190355611.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 17

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, armed with my $10 HF Dremel type tool, I did my first full port job on BB Cyl #3 today, which was the worst cylinder of the 3, which is why I saved it till last. I mostly focused on the timing rather than on port shape/size, with the exception of adding the bridge ports.

I checked the cylinder timing, came up with a plan, pushed a ring up the cylinder to the desired #s, and had to raise my bridge ports a bit to get them to open first. The uppers were kinda backwards on this saw, opening on the exhaust side first.

The squish is .024, which I left alone. Initial #s were 102, 117.5 and 63.5. My plan was for 98, 117 and 78. The actual #s are 97.5, 117 and 77.5.

Not my favorite #s, but the existing transfers kinda dictated the rest of it. I think my final #s are good, and I hope my crude bridge ports also help a bit.

Comments are welcome, this is a learning journey for me. Part of the reason I buy these cheap kits is to play.

Attachments

• IMG_20180701_151133804_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180701_151133804_HDR.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20180701_151053295_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180701_151053295_HDR.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20180701_151037310_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180701_151037310_HDR.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20180701_150950618_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180701_150950618_HDR.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 59

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very cool! As I've found out years ago that most saw's have their own personality so hopefully this one you're finishing up has the bad to the bone personality. :band:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The uppers were kinda backwards on this saw, opening on the exhaust side first.

Not a bad thing Mike. Think of where the factory opens a quad.

Grinding better than my first attempt, that’s for sure.

Make sure you chamfer your ports.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So, armed with my $10 HF Dremel type tool, I did my first full port job on BB Cyl #3 today, which was the worst cylinder of the 3, which is why I saved it till last. I mostly focused on the timing rather than on port shape/size, with the exception of adding the bridge ports.

I checked the cylinder timing, came up with a plan, pushed a ring up the cylinder to the desired #s, and had to raise my bridge ports a bit to get them to open first. The uppers were kinda backwards on this saw, opening on the exhaust side first.

The squish is .024, which I left alone. Initial #s were 102, 117.5 and 63.5. My plan was for 98, 117 and 78. The actual #s are 97.5, 117 and 77.5.

Not my favorite #s, but the existing transfers kinda dictated the rest of it. I think my final #s are good, and I hope my crude bridge ports also help a bit.

Comments are welcome, this is a learning journey for me. Part of the reason I buy these cheap kits is to play.
I think you'll find you like those numbers with a shorter bar.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not a bad thing Mike. Think of where the factory opens a quad.

Grinding better than my first attempt, that’s for sure.

Make sure you chamfer your ports.
How do you recommend chamfering ports? Just curious to hear how the dr. does it?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I finished all the assembly and fired her up today, and she sounded good. Very responsive and well mannered.

Was really looking forward to putting it in some wood (even though it was like an oven out side), but then my 046/460 tank holders arrived (I had ordered 3 of them). So I figured, get the D jug saw running too, and I can compare them, right??? I mean installing a tank holder can't take very long!

So I start installing the screw in the top AV mount, and the damn thing breaks off in the tank handle. I get my easy outs, drill, etc etc, had to drill completely through the darn screw, then the easy out finally removed it. I resume the tank installation, and the darn carb flange will not bolt on. Then I realize 2 of the 3 tank holders are for 440s, not 460s. Well, I remove the 440 tank holder, install the 460 tank holder, get the D jug saw running, then the wife comes out with her honey do lists and says I can't just play with saws all day long … IMAGINE!!!

The good news is that both saws are running, and I hope to test them out tomorrow!

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I finished all the assembly and fired her up today, and she sounded good. Very responsive and well mannered.

Was really looking forward to putting it in some wood (even though it was like an oven out side), but then my 046/460 tank holders arrived (I had ordered 3 of them). So I figured, get the D jug saw running too, and I can compare them, right??? I mean installing a tank holder can't take very long!

So I start installing the screw in the top AV mount, and the damn thing breaks off in the tank handle. I get my easy outs, drill, etc etc, had to drill completely through the darn screw, then the easy out finally removed it. I resume the tank installation, and the darn carb flange will not bolt on. Then I realize 2 of the 3 tank holders are for 440s, not 460s. Well, I remove the 440 tank holder, install the 460 tank holder, get the D jug saw running, then the wife comes out with her honey do lists and says I can't just play with saws all day long … IMAGINE!!!

The good news is that both saws are running, and I hope to test them out tomorrow!
Cool can't wait to hear about the outcome they both should be strong.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After I fired #3 up, and she idled well and throttled up well, I thought it was time to test her yesterday, along with the 046 D jug I just finished.

I drive over to the wood logs, and #3 will not start. I monkey with it a bit, and it starts, I put if in some wood, then she quits.

I was ready to throw the damn saw in the trash, all the problems I have been having with the choke on these 440s, and then it sounded like it was starving for fuel.

Well, I played with the carb some more, moved the adjustment on the fuel lever (although did not even know where to set it on these carbs), all to no avail.

So today I change the coil … and now she runs just fine!!! I did not think it was the coil, cause she would pop, but just would not run, but changing the coil fixed it. As soon as I get it running, the Thunder and Lightning started, so she will be tested another day, but she runs!!!

So glad I had a spare coil tucked away.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After I fired #3 up, and she idled well and throttled up well, I thought it was time to test her yesterday, along with the 046 D jug I just finished.

I drive over to the wood logs, and #3 will not start. I monkey with it a bit, and it starts, I put if in some wood, then she quits.

I was ready to throw the damn saw in the trash, all the problems I have been having with the choke on these 440s, and then it sounded like it was starving for fuel.

Well, I played with the carb some more, moved the adjustment on the fuel lever (although did not even know where to set it on these carbs), all to no avail.

So today I change the coil … and now she runs just fine!!! I did not think it was the coil, cause she would pop, but just would not run, but changing the coil fixed it. As soon as I get it running, the Thunder and Lightning started, so she will be tested another day, but she runs!!!

So glad I had a spare coil tucked away.
Lol. Don't you hate that I know the feeling.