Re Creating a Classic 046

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So a increase in intake duration and a tiny nibble on the upper corners of exhaust made a huge difference in torque and power? Intake gained what 4or 5 degrees?

The intake started at 74. I brought a little section in the middle down to 77.5. I was not impressed with it. It ran OK, but no wow factor.

Now the intake is at 80 and I lowered it the full width (an arch like a big smile, or smily face). It feels a lot stronger.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would guess that is the part I most often need when I get a parts saw. Many of them are visibly broken or missing, but even when I get one that looks in tact I will often find a hair line crack in the fuel tank.

I guess before AM parts arrived on the seen, if you broke one, you saw was often not worth fixing. That is what they told me when I broke the one on my 044, so I ordered an OEM one on line (for about $160) and fixed it myself.

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mike I have seen you say this a bunch of times, and I have no idea what you're talking about.

What is a Tank Holder?

I think he means the tank/handle assembly

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I got the "project saw" today that I thought was another 046 - D jug. The SN was early enough, and it has a Stihl OEM DP muff cover, but the jug must have been swapped, because it is a Hemi jug. At least the P+C look to be in good shape.

I'm sure it was originally a D jug, and most of the original parts are still there. The recoil actually works, but I'm going to replace the rope and Elastostart handle, it is worn and weathered.

It has the 3 leg 1309 coil, which is supposed to be better.

And a HD-8A carb??? Never seen one before, can anyone tell me what it is?

I suppose I should put the coil and carb on the 046-D saw I just did, but I'm kinda superstitious about not messing with good running stuff, and I like the way that saw runs the way it is.

Maybe I'll just put these parts aside in case I come across another D jug. I have other coils and carbs.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I got the "project saw" today that I thought was another 046 - D jug. The SN was early enough, and it has a Stihl OEM DP muff cover, but the jug must have been swapped, because it is a Hemi jug. At least the P+C look to be in good shape.

I'm sure it was originally a D jug, and most of the original parts are still there. The recoil actually works, but I'm going to replace the rope and Elastostart handle, it is worn and weathered.

It has the 3 leg 1309 coil, which is supposed to be better.

And a HD-8A carb??? Never seen one before, can anyone tell me what it is?

I suppose I should put the coil and carb on the 046-D saw I just did, but I'm kinda superstitious about not messing with good running stuff, and I like the way that saw runs the way it is.

Maybe I'll just put these parts aside in case I come across another D jug. I have other coils and carbs.
The 1309 coil I believe advances the timing sooner then the other 1128 series coils. They're great coils to use on a ms461 if you want to get rid of the factory limited coil.
The HD-8A carb should have bigger jets (#70 iirc) compared to the later HD series carbs used on the 1128s.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Walbro carbs for 440, 460
3a90c14ee7ced030c98670b7842b338f.jpg

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Jeff, I did not remember that the 8 was on your list!

I think I used a 16 on the 046-D, not a bad carb, no wonder it runs well!

Anyone know the difference between A, B +C? I think I have HD 17 with all 3 letters.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag