Re Creating a Classic 046

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice. Mine is running good, but I may go back in a give it a little more intake, I think there is more to be found there.

Unfortunately, I've been spending way too much time on those 440 Big Bore clones. I got 2 of them running strong, but today one would not start after 15 pulls, and the other ran like it had an air leak.

Put real Walbro carbs on both of them, and the one that would not start kicked on the second pull, and the other one ran perfectly. I've run a lot of aftermarket carbs w/o any problems, but the carbs that came with those saws are junk! The worse part is they seem to run fine one time, then like crap the next time. I thought I could "tune" the problems out, but no go.

Now I have another project, although both saws run great with the OEM carbs, the choke does not reliably come on, so I have figured out a fix with the control levers, but I just have to make it permanent.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice. Mine is running good, but I may go back in a give it a little more intake, I think there is more to be found there.

Unfortunately, I've been spending way too much time on those 440 Big Bore clones. I got 2 of them running strong, but today one would not start after 15 pulls, and the other ran like it had an air leak.

Put real Walbro carbs on both of them, and the one that would not start kicked on the second pull, and the other one ran perfectly. I've run a lot of aftermarket carbs w/o any problems, but the carbs that came with those saws are junk! The worse part is they seem to run fine one time, then like crap the next time. I thought I could "tune" the problems out, but no go.

Now I have another project, although both saws run great with the OEM carbs, the choke does not reliably come on, so I have figured out a fix with the control levers, but I just have to make it permanent.
I found that the carbs are good but the diaphrams are no good so you might want to try putting a walbro rebuild kit in one that you have and give it a try I have two that I did that to and now there good.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found that the carbs are good but the diaphrams are no good so you might want to try putting a walbro rebuild kit in one that you have and give it a try I have two that I did that to and now there good.

I just ordered 3 OEM ZAMA rebuild kits, and 3 OEM Walbro rebuild kits, so something better work!

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Is that a Mustang joke...? Cool build. I'd like to get a hold of one of these myself.
No time to read Mike's thread today but, I have one clean 046 non D jug but nice. Front of the tank handle was busted. I opened it up. Too nice inside to re-ring.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. Yea as much problems that you've been having with them carb let's hope. But I think you might be surprised.

I have 3 ZAMA C3M carbs in need of rebuild, two are Japan and one is Hong Kong. Also, the one that came (and is still) on my 044 is a Hong Kong that I recently rebuilt.

If I don't like how the AM carbs do with the rebuild, I just plug the snorkel hole and use the ZAMA carbs.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 3 ZAMA C3M carbs in need of rebuild, two are Japan and one is Hong Kong. Also, the one that came (and is still) on my 044 is a Hong Kong that I recently rebuilt.

If I don't like how the AM carbs do with the rebuild, I just plug the snorkel hole and use the ZAMA carbs.
Yea the 044 and 440s run really well with the zama carb.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ripped the 046 D jug saw down today as it did not run as strong as the 460 I built with that HL Supply jug and a Meteor piston. I'm going to try to reduce the disparity.

In other news I have another 046 D jug saw coming my way. It is in rough shape, but it reported to have good compression, and has a factory dp cover (a real Magnum). The tank handle is broken, and the AF cover is gone, but most of the rest of it seems to be there.

Another Project!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spent most of the day replacing the deck on my Radial Arm Saw, then working with my Step Son to make him a work bench from some of the Black Oak I milled. Still needs to be finished, but we got a good start on it, glue is drying!

But I did steal a little bit of time to do some addl port work to that 046 D jug (mostly lowered and re shaped the intake), and started putting it back together. Hopefully it will fire up tomorrow.

I got a busy week ahead of me. Watching the Grandsons late tomorrow, two people want fire wood, another wants a Tulip taken down, and on Sunday I am scheduled to help another relative cut fire wood (he is a tree guy, but they were impressed with all the saws I brought last year, so my presence is requested again).

Still waiting on the tank holder for the Hemi 460. They gave a delivery window from late July till early Sept. I often get stuff from China in 3-4 weeks, this is the longest I've waited for anything! Frustrating.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spent most of the day replacing the deck on my Radial Arm Saw, then working with my Step Son to make him a work bench from some of the Black Oak I milled. Still needs to be finished, but we got a good start on it, glue is drying!

But I did steal a little bit of time to do some addl port work to that 046 D jug (mostly lowered and re shaped the intake), and started putting it back together. Hopefully it will fire up tomorrow.

I got a busy week ahead of me. Watching the Grandsons late tomorrow, two people want fire wood, another wants a Tulip taken down, and on Sunday I am scheduled to help another relative cut fire wood (he is a tree guy, but they were impressed with all the saws I brought last year, so my presence is requested again).

Still waiting on the tank holder for the Hemi 460. They gave a delivery window from late July till early Sept. I often get stuff from China in 3-4 weeks, this is the longest I've waited for anything! Frustrating.
I’d order it from Dave next time. Idk if he stocks tanks but you’ll have to check his ebay. I did see some am parts last time I checked.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does he have them? I did not see them last time I checked (when I ordered this).

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I finished putting the 046 - D back together today (after the second round of porting), threw a B+C on it, and put it in some wood (Beech + Oak) … Holy Cow, this thing pulls like a freight train now … what a difference!!! Pulls you right into the wood, and would not slow down when I leaned on it. I'm Very Happy!!!

Lowered the intake to about 80 and changed the shape to a broad - sweeping smile. Then I just touched the upper corners of the Exhaust a little with a diamond ball.

I'm very pleased with this saw now, and I should have another project one (an 046 D Magnum w/orig DP muff cover) in my hands tomorrow.

But I'm sure the real difference is the advice Jeff gave me, I put a prettier chain cover on her! Just goes better with the new plastics.

Attachments

• IMG_20180821_121119459.jpg
    IMG_20180821_121119459.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20180821_120943556.jpg
    IMG_20180821_120943556.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20180821_120857760.jpg
    IMG_20180821_120857760.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 21

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So a increase in intake duration and a tiny nibble on the upper corners of exhaust made a huge difference in torque and power? Intake gained what 4or 5 degrees?

Sty57

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score

Mike I have seen you say this a bunch of times, and I have no idea what you're talking about.

What is a Tank Holder?