Re Creating a Classic 046

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First thing I did this morning was inventory my 046/460 parts and order most of what I need to complete a few saws. A few things I think I will have to get from the dealer (Air Filter Mount/Flange and Chain Brake linkage). Was ordering so much small stuff I had to call the Credit Card Co and tell them I had not been hacked!

Then I installed new bearings in a set of 046 case halves and temporarily put the 046 D jug on it. I first put the oil pump on the one half to act as a bearing stop, then used my HF heat gun to heat the bearing pockets and was able to installed both bearings with gloved fingers (had a hammer and socket at the ready, but no need).

Did not need to use Scotch Brite on the crank, surprisingly it cleaned up real nice with some WD-40 and a paper towel. Heated the center of the bearing on the clutch side and was able to hand push the crank in, but the next side needed a bit of tapping with a hammer, then a little bit of draw in with the case bolts.

No matter which side I do first, the case pins always seem to stop me from snugging up the second side.

You could spin the crank no problem w/o a flywheel, but I imitated something I saw TM do, tapped the crank back and forth a bit, and now it feels like I greased the bearings! Very smooth!

I put the D jug on with two bolts, and with an OEM piston the squish is .030. Wow, must have been close to .050 with a base gasket!

Anyone know if a Meteor Piston has a taller crown? Would like to get the squish down into the .020s. and I'm not going to belt sand the base!
I know the meteor is taller on the 660 but not sure on the 046/460 but I would most likely say yes.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
7:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As you know, the 046 Mag is worth rebuilding. I bought one that was half-way rebuilt but listed as non-running for $300. All it really needed was a carb tune and the plastic limiters removed for adjustment:
Stihl 046 Magnum.JPG
I cleaned this "mess" up, added the outer bumper spike, removed the plastic limiters, tuned it up, repaired the pull cord handle, and she runs flawlessly today. I've pulled a 32" bar and chain with it several times to cut big rounds in ash, oak, and red elm.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As you know, the 046 Mag is worth rebuilding. I bought one that was half-way rebuilt but listed as non-running for $300. All it really needed was a carb tune and the plastic limiters removed for adjustment:
View attachment 131147
I cleaned this "mess" up, added the outer bumper spike, removed the plastic limiters, tuned it up, repaired the pull cord handle, and she runs flawlessly today. I've pulled a 32" bar and chain with it several times to cut big rounds in ash, oak, and red elm.
Good deal never really find deals like that around my neck of the woods.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never say never, they are just rare and hard to find. About the only thing good on the 046 D I got were the case halves (kinda) and the D jug. Everything else was stripper or broken. But I got it as payment for fixing a 460, and IMO, the D jug alone made it worth while.

The original tank holder had a previously repaired tank that was leaking, so mine has a new tank holder. Franky, they are stronger, the new flippy caps don't leak, and I prefer the translucent AM fuel tanks, I can see when I'm getting low, so no problem with them on a working saw IMO.

Ran it yesterday for just a few cuts, pulled a 28" bar in Black Oak no problem, through some big knots, etc.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never say never, they are just rare and hard to find. About the only thing good on the 046 D I got were the case halves (kinda) and the D jug. Everything else was stripper or broken. But I got it as payment for fixing a 460, and IMO, the D jug alone made it worth while.

The original tank holder had a previously repaired tank that was leaking, so mine has a new tank holder. Franky, they are stronger, the new flippy caps don't leak, and I prefer the translucent AM fuel tanks, I can see when I'm getting low, so no problem with them on a working saw IMO.

Ran it yesterday for just a few cuts, pulled a 28" bar in Black Oak no problem, through some big knots, etc.
Very cool. Yea I've got a friend who wants a engine for his truck and luck would have it I've got one so I told him he could have it if he can come up with a ms660 that's non running that I can fix or use it for parts. Lol. So hope this works out for me.

Ron660

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Keeping it stock?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, here it is. New tank holder (w/covers), handle bar, brake flag, clutch, bearings + seals. I think the only original parts are the case halves (with SN matching the D jug cylinder), the chain adjuster, and the cylinder. Piston, chain brake band and linkage, and oiler were stolen from other parts saws. Chain cover, from another saw, was repaired.

Attachments

• IMG_20180704_161153511_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180704_161153511_HDR.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20180704_161222926_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180704_161222926_HDR.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 73

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, here it is. New tank holder (w/covers), handle bar, brake flag, clutch, bearings + seals. I think the only original parts are the case halves (with SN matching the D jug cylinder), the chain adjuster, and the cylinder. Piston, chain brake band and linkage, and oiler were stolen from other parts saws. Chain cover, from another saw, was repaired.
Looks good for something that you had to build out of a bunch of saw parts good job.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. I actually have one, but it will go to someone else. I also have 3 other that are broken. After a while, stress fractures make the tank leak, which is why for a working saw, I choose to replace it with a new AM tank holder.

I also have no "leak problems" with the AM flippy caps. I hate leaks.