Range rifles

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Went to the range today with my Ruger American Rifle in 223. Don't have many rounds through it, but was just searching for something it may like.

Last time out it shot OK (nothing to write home about) with some Winchester factory 45 gr HP. So I found some Winchester factory 55 gr psp and some concoctions I'd made for another 223 I used to have (but got rid of because it did not shoot well).

The Winchester 55 gr factory ammo was horrible, 3.5" at 100 yds!!! Then I tested 4 other concoctions, three of them grouped just over an inch at 100 yds and one of them gave a nice 7/16" group. I'll have to load some more of them (there were only 3 of them). However, it was encouraging to see that it was not the rifle!

The load that it liked was a 55 grain Hornady SX over 26 grains of H-335. IIRC my 220 Swift always shot best with Sierra 52 and 53 gr HP Match, so I will have to load some of them up and give it a try. I did not have any of them in my loaded inventory!

Groups also usually improve a bit after you neck size ones that were fire formed in that gun's chamber.

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought the 30-06 first, and they asked for "suggestions", so I suggested they come out with it in 223. They said "not likely", then came out with it, so I got one. IIRC, got both of them on sales for just over 3 each.

Now, I don't see the 223 rifle I have listed any more, the new ones take the high capacity mags and have green stocks. The new ones are listed with 1 in 8 twist, not sure if mine is 1 in 8 or 1 in 10. I know there are also guns with 1 in 12 out there.

Now that the 13 year old Grandson has learned how to reload, I want him to be able to make some rounds that he can shoot, figure this is a good place to start.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s more poking and hoping then long range shooting. Might be fun, but no way are you accurate at 600 yards with iron sights
I no longer agree with that logic:
I worked with a guy a few years ago that had enough 1,000 yard open sight trophies: he was also part of the Texas Governor’s Riflemen for the better part of the Decade.
It’s not to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea atleast it usta be until the reintroduction of Canadian grey wolf. Now elk hunting is extremely hard, usually requiring a hunter to p
Hike in several miles to even find elk sign!

I’m Sorry to Hear That.

Last edited:

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used peep sights alot and never cared for barrel mounted peeps. I need it to be close to my eye, as in Ar15 or Lever gun tang mount.

My primary deer hunting rifle (308) have been Ruger for the past 15 years, but I am tired of the M77 type scope rings. I own many rifles and can't see the sense in proprietary rings. At one point, including rings seemed like a good value, but scope designs have changed and the M77 mounting system no longer suits eye relief and accessory needs.
I'm going to a compact 308, Ruger American, Tikka or Bergara will likely be my choice.
Opportunity will probably make the choice for me. My choice would be a stainless threaded Tikka though.

Ruger American Predator is hard to beat for the money.

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought the 30-06 first, and they asked for "suggestions", so I suggested they come out with it in 223. They said "not likely", then came out with it, so I got one. IIRC, got both of them on sales for just over 3 each.

Now, I don't see the 223 rifle I have listed any more, the new ones take the high capacity mags and have green stocks. The new ones are listed with 1 in 8 twist, not sure if mine is 1 in 8 or 1 in 10. I know there are also guns with 1 in 12 out there.

Now that the 13 year old Grandson has learned how to reload, I want him to be able to make some rounds that he can shoot, figure this is a good place to start.

Regular.

Regular Capacity Magazines.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Went to the range today with my Ruger American Rifle in 223. Don't have many rounds through it, but was just searching for something it may like.

Last time out it shot OK (nothing to write home about) with some Winchester factory 45 gr HP. So I found some Winchester factory 55 gr psp and some concoctions I'd made for another 223 I used to have (but got rid of because it did not shoot well).

The Winchester 55 gr factory ammo was horrible, 3.5" at 100 yds!!! Then I tested 4 other concoctions, three of them grouped just over an inch at 100 yds and one of them gave a nice 7/16" group. I'll have to load some more of them (there were only 3 of them). However, it was encouraging to see that it was not the rifle!

The load that it liked was a 55 grain Hornady SX over 26 grains of H-335. IIRC my 220 Swift always shot best with Sierra 52 and 53 gr HP Match, so I will have to load some of them up and give it a try. I did not have any of them in my loaded inventory!

Groups also usually improve a bit after you neck size ones that were fire formed in that gun's chamber.

I don't handload, but dad used to. I remember him milking cows, with the press and scales set up in the milk house, and a target set up 100 yards out the barn door. He would switch milkers, go load 2-3 rounds, go back and switch milkers, then fire those 3 off, switch milkers again, then go check his target.

In one full milking, he could find what load worked best, and then have it dialed in to load up a box or 2 of ammo. He had a TC Contender in 7x30 waters handgun that was 'minute of groundhog' accurate out to 250 yards with the right load!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regular.

Regular Capacity Magazines.

Yes, mine is black stock and standard size clip, but because the cartridge is small, it will hold 1 or 2 more. The 06 only holds 3 rounds, but I have 4 of them that go with me when I hunt. I have never needed them, but my Uncle always stressed that you never go into the woods w/o enough ammo, or as he used to say "don't be a hotdog"!

The barrel on my 223 is a 22" standard contour, and is not threaded.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 223 had some feeding malfunctions at the range the other day, so I researched on line and found out I'm not the only one who had problems.

Called Ruger this morning and they are sending me 3 new clips (that is how many I have).

Then I did some more research on line and found out how to fix the existing ones, so I did. The last one I did came out the best.

So, if you need to do this to yours, send me a PM and I will warn you what not to do, and what you should do. After doing the three of them, I think I have it down! There were two different ways shown to resolve the problem, so I incorporated both of them.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m partial to Belgium browning bar semi autos for hunting I have one in 270 and one in 7mm rem mag. Bolt guns I prefer the mo 70 Winchester I have it in multiple calibers.
I’ve got a model 70 in 7mm mag. I used to use it for a deer gun when I hunted in Wisconsin

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No I shoot Beck ammo and it shoots fine. I hunt from a tree blind and don't shoot farther than 50yds at most.
I have a 45-70 pistol. If I shoot regular ammo out of it, I can take a shot she’ll and dump I burnt powder out of it. The barrel isn’t long enough to get a full burn like a rifle. Thus the need for faster burning powder, regardless of the distance you shoot.

Harleydaze64

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 45-70 pistol. If I shoot regular ammo out of it, I can take a shot she’ll and dump I burnt powder out of it. The barrel isn’t long enough to get a full burn like a rifle. Thus the need for faster burning powder, regardless of the distance you shoot.
Bet it throws hell of a fireball too..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk