Random Thought Of The Day

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
11:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its a mild morning, not a wild morning. It's gonna be a good day though. The days of waking up from being drunk and/or doped out of my mind are long gone.
Very thankful that I don't miss them (or all the baggage they brought with them)!

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yuck, I went over to As. Yuck is all I can say, so glad I came over here. Started a thread on my husky over there before I knew about ope, so it's not all my fault, I didn't know better :D

You are welcome

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
10:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was 1971, money was worth a bit more back then. I forget the town, I was staying at a Youth Hostel and the used van was in town. I had saved up $11,800 from when I was in the Army, so I just had my parents send some money from my account. Drove around in Europe until I got bored, then went back.

I had a truck load of PTSD from 'Nam and needed the adventures/adrenaline to keep me sane. Built and raced motorcycles, but about every 18 months I had to do 'something'. Sailed to Hawaii, then hitch-hiked through Oz, sailed around the Marshall Islands for 6 weeks (deserted islands, virgin reefs, climbing coconut trees, etc), traveled through New Zealand - did a bunch of stuff while I worked and went to school.

Last year I got 'resurrected' for the SECOND time. Between tours I showed up at Hunter Army Airfield for Cobra transition and had three blokes come up to me "Hey Shulze, I heard you got killed" - Nope, just 'shot' there's a difference. Then last year I got a email from my Scout Platoon leader that he had just read my OBITUARY! Nice obituary, but it wasn't me. I contacted the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association and cleared it up. They resurrected me the second time by running a story I wrote about a minor action in 'Nam.

Background on the story, when I got home I threw all my stuff away. However, about 8-9 years later my mother gave me a clipping that I had sent them from our unit's newspaper. The clipping refreshed my memory and I wrote up the story and sent the clipping and story to the unit's webpage.

Here's a link to the story, it's the first story and called 'In The Open'

https://directory.vhpa.org/cddata/magazines/NovDec2018.pdf

Random thought - I hate getting old...
Welcome home bro

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its a mild morning, not a wild morning. It's gonna be a good day though. The days of waking up from being drunk and/or doped out of my mind are long gone.
Very thankful that I don't miss them (or all the baggage they brought with them)!
Congrats; if I keep breathing and don't use anything before then Sunday will mark 33 years of a day at a time

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
stihl_head1982 said:

Congrats; if I keep breathing and don't use anything before then Sunday will mark 33 years of a day at a time

Awesome achievements guys

I am currently dealing with my 38 year old son and his struggles with drugs and alcohol

He is in the hospital detoxing and getting ready for yet another stint in rehab

I feel so helpless because as a father I feel the need to "fix it" yet I know I can't

You both are to be congratulated

:campeon:

grizz55chev

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
stihl_head1982 said:

I am currently dealing with my 38 year old son and his struggles with drugs and alcohol

I feel so helpless because as a father I feel the need to "fix it" yet I know I can't

My heart goes out to you, a painful process for sure!

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
stihl_head1982 said:

I had to be willing to admit defeat for help to be accepted. No one can do that for someone else. Pray that your son gets sick & tired of being sick and tired. Sounds dumb, but for most of us that is required

Last edited:

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had to be willing to admit defeat for help to be accepted. No one can do that for someone else. Pray that your son gets sick tired of being sick and tired. Sounds dumb, but for most of us that is required

I hear you and know exactly what you are saying

We have probably messed things up many times by NOT letting him hit rock bottom and finally getting sick and tired of his life

We keep catching him when he falls and it is just enabling him

The larger issue with that is he always seems to fall apart in the middle of an Alaska winter and we can't get the image out of our minds of him freezing to death in his car or a homeless camp if we don't step in

We know we shouldn't but we can't help it

This is 6 times and I honestly am ready to let him face the music on his own

If he can get into a 4 week inpatient program that has some sort of after care plan it will just about get him into late winter, early spring...

We just have to come to grips with the fact he is an adult and HE makes it or breaks it

Thanks for caring enough to comment

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you and know exactly what you are saying

We have probably messed things up many times by NOT letting him hit rock bottom and finally getting sick and tired of his life

We keep catching him when he falls and it is just enabling him

The larger issue with that is he always seems to fall apart in the middle of an Alaska winter and we can't get the image out of our minds of him freezing to death in his car or a homeless camp if we don't step in

We know we shouldn't but we can't help it

This is 6 times and I honestly am ready to let him face the music on his own

If he can get into a 4 week inpatient program that has some sort of after care plan it will just about get him into late winter, early spring...

We just have to come to grips with the fact he is an adult and HE makes it or breaks it

Thanks for caring enough to comment
People who had gone through what I was, at that time going threw, cared enough about passing along how they got to where they were to share it. We see the empty eyes, know how that is on the inside & can connect. Let me be direct ; We are all "manipulative survivors" if there is a way to keep doing what I think I want to do (even tho what I put in me can kill me) I won't be diswaded except by running into a wall of truth inside me. Replace I & Me with your sons name.
On a completely different subject Amazon claims to have shipped yesterday (usps) & USPS says they haven't got it yet. Unless it's onna skid of other goods heading to a local post office inna ups truck:facepalm: to save $.02:smash2:

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
People who had gone through what I was, at that time going threw, cared enough about passing along how they got to where they were to share it. We see the empty eyes, know how that is on the inside & can connect. Let me be direct ; We are all "manipulative survivors" if there is a way to keep doing what I think I want to do (even tho what I put in me can kill me) I won't be diswaded except by running into a wall of truth inside me. Replace I & Me with your sons name.
On a completely different subject Amazon claims to have shipped yesterday (usps) & USPS says they haven't got it yet. Unless it's onna skid of other goods heading to a local post office inna ups truck:facepalm: to save $.02:smash2:

I hear you on both fronts...

My son is a masterful manipulator and yep; at some point the truth will come crashing down

Just hope he is alive and has enough brain cells left to realize it when it hits him

I am playing the "where the %^$# is my Amazon stuffs" shuffle right now as well

They use some third party "Parcel Select" or something like that service for small packages to Alaska and Hawaii

So regardless of which house I am in I get to wonder where my stuff is while it's in that limbo between them and USPS

:facepalm:

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My random thought today hummmm how about the I won't use the words that I want to but people who moved to WA. And don't know how to drive in snow just flipping stay home flipping ass clowns. :tiburon::deal:

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found a like new 18" Stihl bar 3/8 x .050 at an estate sale. Put it in a box with a bunch of other stuff and when I got home and was inventorying the items, the chain was gone. No holes in the box, Groundi had it in her possession the whole time. It's a disappointing mystery...Rats!

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It may be something related to the 'Mandela Effect'. I've been through a few of 'em - and it wasn't my memory taking a vacation.

Here's one on the D Wave quantum computer.