Random Thought Of The Day

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the Southern Hemisphere it is now summer. I just finished mowing the lawn in 34C temps and am now sitting inside with the air conditioner.

Random thought - "ouch! - so that is where the wasps decided to build their nest this year"

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
7:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not in Oz. I was driving a VW van back from Europe and ended up at a truck stop at the top of a pass in Eastern NY state. I stopped because I couldn't see anymore because of the blizzard. I just made out the lights of the truck stop and pulled in there. If I had kept going I would have headed down the mountain and out of the worst of it.

I had a mattress to lie on, but if I moved just a bit the cold would instantly cut through the bag and my jacket. I couldn't breathe the air outside the bag as it was chilling my lungs down.

The oil in the engine was too thick to turn the engine over the next morning (30wt).

Two days later I was in the South West wearing a T-shirt and the windows open.

Sounds like one hell of a road trip.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like one hell of a road trip.

That was the end of the trip. I started hitch-hiking with $90 in my pocket, traveled north from LA up to Seattle, then down to Houston, into Tennessee, Washington DC, Buffalo NY, into Connecticut then NYC. I worked my way across the States picking up odd jobs and arrived in London with $160.

My cousin talking me into the trip, then chickened out at the last minute, so I left without him. Hell or a trip, living on the streets, lots of different stories, then I hitch-hiked through France and Germany, bought the van and returned home to college.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That was the end of the trip. I started hitch-hiking with $90 in my pocket, traveled north from LA up to Seattle, then down to Houston, into Tennessee, Washington DC, Buffalo NY, into Connecticut then NYC. I worked my way across the States picking up odd jobs and arrived in London with $160.

My cousin talking me into the trip, then chickened out at the last minute, so I left without him. Hell or a trip, living on the streets, lots of different stories, then I hitch-hiked through France and Germany, bought the van and returned home to college.

So where did you buy the van?

And you couldn't do that today with out a huge wad of cash.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was 1971, money was worth a bit more back then. I forget the town, I was staying at a Youth Hostel and the used van was in town. I had saved up $11,800 from when I was in the Army, so I just had my parents send some money from my account. Drove around in Europe until I got bored, then went back.

I had a truck load of PTSD from 'Nam and needed the adventures/adrenaline to keep me sane. Built and raced motorcycles, but about every 18 months I had to do 'something'. Sailed to Hawaii, then hitch-hiked through Oz, sailed around the Marshall Islands for 6 weeks (deserted islands, virgin reefs, climbing coconut trees, etc), traveled through New Zealand - did a bunch of stuff while I worked and went to school.

Last year I got 'resurrected' for the SECOND time. Between tours I showed up at Hunter Army Airfield for Cobra transition and had three blokes come up to me "Hey Shulze, I heard you got killed" - Nope, just 'shot' there's a difference. Then last year I got a email from my Scout Platoon leader that he had just read my OBITUARY! Nice obituary, but it wasn't me. I contacted the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association and cleared it up. They resurrected me the second time by running a story I wrote about a minor action in 'Nam.

Background on the story, when I got home I threw all my stuff away. However, about 8-9 years later my mother gave me a clipping that I had sent them from our unit's newspaper. The clipping refreshed my memory and I wrote up the story and sent the clipping and story to the unit's webpage.

Here's a link to the story, it's the first story and called 'In The Open'

https://directory.vhpa.org/cddata/magazines/NovDec2018.pdf

Random thought - I hate getting old...

Local time
8:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
It was 1971, money was worth a bit more back then. I forget the town, I was staying at a Youth Hostel and the used van was in town. I had saved up $11,800 from when I was in the Army, so I just had my parents send some money from my account. Drove around in Europe until I got bored, then went back.

I had a truck load of PTSD from 'Nam and needed the adventures/adrenaline to keep me sane. Built and raced motorcycles, but about every 18 months I had to do 'something'. Sailed to Hawaii, then hitch-hiked through Oz, sailed around the Marshall Islands for 6 weeks (deserted islands, virgin reefs, climbing coconut trees, etc), traveled through New Zealand - did a bunch of stuff while I worked and went to school.

Last year I got 'resurrected' for the SECOND time. Between tours I showed up at Hunter Army Airfield for Cobra transition and had three blokes come up to me "Hey Shulze, I heard you got killed" - Nope, just 'shot' there's a difference. Then last year I got a email from my Scout Platoon leader that he had just read my OBITUARY! Nice obituary, but it wasn't me. I contacted the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association and cleared it up. They resurrected me the second time by running a story I wrote about a minor action in 'Nam.

Background on the story, when I got home I threw all my stuff away. However, about 8-9 years later my mother gave me a clipping that I had sent them from our unit's newspaper. The clipping refreshed my memory and I wrote up the story and sent the clipping and story to the unit's webpage.

Hell of a story, hell of an article, hell of a life

Thank you for your Service

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It started good this morning, but the garage was 0. Outside it’s -27. We’ll see how great it starts coming home

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wow! You guys just dont get enough credit.

Thanks for signing that line and offering all.

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Sounds like John Rambo.

Big1066ih

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Love the cold...dump truck been runnin since 430am n on second set of fuel filters won't go down the road without starting to gel.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Send some over![emoji482]
This is all I have, 1 liter gift box and 2 liter take out bottle.
IMAG0389.jpg IMAG0391.jpg

Large supply is 3 hours ride one way, one country over. ;)

Croatian Post office and US USPS do not allow shipping of fluids/alcohol/flammable substances.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yuck, I went over to As. Yuck is all I can say, so glad I came over here. Started a thread on my husky over there before I knew about ope, so it's not all my fault, I didn't know better :D