Random Thought Of The Day

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a chain stretches, it changes pitch right? Maybe that's why some aftermarket sprockets (bar tip and clutch) don't always quite mesh well. Maybe they don't consider stretch. 1/4 being the most problematic having more DL's per length. I wonder what the ideal pitch sprocket would be to work well with both new and old chains?

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a chain stretches, it changes pitch right? Maybe that's why some aftermarket sprockets (bar tip and clutch) don't always quite mesh well. Maybe they don't consider stretch. 1/4 being the most problematic having more DL's per length. I wonder what the ideal pitch sprocket would be to work well with both new and old chains?
There is plenty play in the rim sprocket groove. Also the stretch between a few links is small, it just adds up. If it gets so bad the pitch changes that much, it's probably time for a new chain.[emoji111]

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

You're overthinking this.....

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My (new 2 me) carving bar w/1/4" chain doesn't have as many dl's as my 36" bar or the 60" milling bar. Oregon chain stretches more so an Oregon bar may be made to allow for that?

Last edited: