Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm getting enough back from my taxes to go get my CDL. Its always been a dream of mine to have a class A and drive for a living. Should I do it? I'm kind of over this working my ass off for a paycheck nonsense (read working physically)

DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm getting enough back from my taxes to go get my CDL. Its always been a dream of mine to have a class A and drive for a living. Should I do it? I'm kind of over this working my ass off for a paycheck nonsense (read working physically)
Do it! I have been doing hard physical labor for 17 years now and boy can I tell!
Not sure what I'd even do if I did something else.

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are many route(day) driving jobs if a family is keeping you close to home.
Construction truckn can run ya in the ground for 9-10 months a yr. After 26 yrs of that, I'm still surviving. And cut a helluva lot of wood every winter, if snow depth allows.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
5:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do it! I have been doing hard physical labor for 17 years now and boy can I tell!
Not sure what I'd even do if I did something else.
Kinda where I'm at brother. Left school young (got a ged) was a logger, tree guy and mechanic. I'm only 30, but I've been busting my ass for 15 years and I'm wore out. I'm built like a brick chit house but that doesnt mean anything. I had me some health issues and it changed my point of view on things.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kinda where I'm at brother. Left school young (got a ged) was a logger, tree guy and mechanic. I'm only 30, but I've been busting my ass for 15 years and I'm wore out. I'm built like a brick chit house but that doesnt mean anything. I had me some health issues and it changed my point of view on things.
Yep good benefits would be huge! Friend of mine just broke his back! He will be okay and won't miss much work because he has an office job. But for a guy like me being self employed with zero benefits it would be devastating financially. Sure makes a guy think.

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Joints and tendons can take only so much abuse..
Ask me how I kno..
63-5'4" 160#, I'm in great shape for my age imho. But worn out joints and back takes its toll.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't speak from personal experience but I know some guys that got away from truck driving due to having back issues.

Personally I can't ride for very long without having all kinds of hip and back pain. 40 years of hard living has taken it's toll. I feel better if I can keep moving rather than being stationary.

Not trying to influence your decision, just something to think about.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I framed houses and commercial buildings for about 30 years. My hips, knees, shoulders, elbows, back....all hurt like hell at times. But....I have to keep moving to keep from really hurting.

I sit or stand at the bench all day sometimes, but at midday I usually go for a long walk.

I also feed the cows early in the mornings. On and off the tractor......

Point is, just sitting in that truck might be hell on the body after being so active.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good luck and safe driving! Was self employed except for 5 yr's. Has advantages and disadvantages.

Shep
Shep, I probably wouldn't work for myself. I've lead crews and run peoples businesses for them for so long I'm only really interested in being an employee. I'd like to retire one day which is why I'm really thinking about this hard.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I framed houses and commercial buildings for about 30 years. My hips, knees, shoulders, elbows, back....all hurt like hell at times. But....I have to keep moving to keep from really hurting.

I sit or stand at the bench all day sometimes, but at midday I usually go for a long walk.

I also feed the cows early in the mornings. On and off the tractor......

Point is, just sitting in that truck might be hell on the body after being so active.
And that's why I ask you guys. It's a point of view I wasnt thinking about!

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And that's why I ask you guys. It's a point of view I wasnt thinking about!

I'm not sure how pay works out there for ya but day trip drives only make about 45-50% of OTR truckers here. This is coming from the box truck driver at the print shop who got off the long haul to be home with his kids.

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now from time to time we have to use hotshot tandem drivers and that's where some money can be made! They got some sweet rigs and charge a premium!

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't let that stop you Nick.

You can try it.....and I would.
Zackly. If nothing else a CDL is something good to fall back on.

A guy could stay pretty local and make his own hours driving a log truck. Owner operators here make a good living doing that.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really appreciate the input guys. I dont really have anyone I can discuss these things with other than my girlfriend and she just says "do what's going to make you happy"

Big1066ih

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really appreciate the input guys. I dont really have anyone I can discuss these things with other than my girlfriend and she just says "do what's going to make you happy"
Municipal jobs aren't anything to scoff at either, the town I live in pays around $18 with lots of overtime in winter and 4/10's in summer. My old man runs the show n figures the job to be worth around $32/HR if ya count the benefits ya don't pay for

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Municipal jobs aren't anything to scoff at either, the town I live in pays around $18 with lots of overtime in winter and 4/10's in summer. My old man runs the show n figures the job to be worth around $32/HR if ya count the benefits ya don't pay for
That's what I'm waiting for, a job to open in my county or township to open up. And apply for that.