Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
6:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I woke this guy up, 20ft up the neighbors tree, he then examined the trampoline,,, havent seen him since,,,, but he will be back.
too much food around.
View attachment 198579 View attachment 198580

Black bears are rare down here. We had a sighting here a few years ago and some redneck idiot shot it. :(

Luckily bears are not game aninmals here so he went to jail!

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
4:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Black bears are rare down here. We had a sighting here a few years ago and some redneck idiot shot it. :(

There was a sighting of a momma bear and 4 Cubs about two weeks ago here. Long as they stay away from me and my kids all is well.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was a sighting of a momma bear and 4 Cubs about two weeks ago here. Long as they stay away from me and my kids all is well.

From what ive read black bears are real skiddish and as long as you dont surprise them (make noise and such if you suspect you are near one) they will run.

Now a momma bear and cubs, thats a different ball game.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From what ive read black bears are real skiddish and as long as you dont surprise them (make noise and such if you suspect you are near one) they will run.

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

Ther are always bears at glacier national park. We saw them. An off duty park ranger was killed by one, near the entrance to our camp area, a few years ago. He was riding a bike on a trail and came over a little hill and went between a cub and her momma; she got him.

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Probably 1/2 dozen hanging around town here of 400.
The bears show up near every fall for the berries.
Right now they leave if ya make a scene,, later on they wont leave just look at you and carry on eating berries.
I do not trust them.
And yes we have a ma and 2 cubs,, all is fine if you can see ma and the cubs, otherwise you should be going away.
FWIW you cannot out run a bear!!
Last year we had one that liked ripping the doors off of outside fridges and freezers. It pulled my deck fridge over, it had been empty and clean for 3 months. I think someone put it down. Lotsa people hunt and eat them here. I keep a shot gun available for the next month.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do not trust them.

I dont trust any wildlife. In their eyes we are either a danger or food. Sometimes both. I wont go out of my way to harm them but i damn well will defend myself/family if the need does arise.

Except venomous snakes. They should all die. :D

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I dont trust any wildlife. In their eyes we are either a danger or food. Sometimes both. I wont go out of my way to harm them but i damn well will defend myself/family if the need does arise.

Except venomous snakes. They should all die. :D
Nearest venomous snake is 20 miles south, to cold here 2500ft alt,, we do have boas tho!!
Rubber boas.
images